Isolated and Angry

Max310

Reaction score
I feel isolated and angry living in tje hearing word. Given where I live, I have no real support to feel otherwise. Very bad experiences since going deaf about 3 years ago. Being deaf isn't the issue. How hearing people interact with me is.

I feel isolated and angry living in tje hearing word. Given where I live, I have no real support to feel otherwise. Very bad experiences since going deaf about 3 years ago. Being deaf isn't the issue. How hearing people interact with me is.
My friend did this when she went deaf, I told her to go down to the shelter. She went down to the shelter with her favorite book, sat down, and started reading to the dogs. Certain dogs would sit and listen to her, instead of barking or pacing, and after awhile she picked one and it became a friend for life. (little breeds of dogs are quite "barky" so stay away from those) When a dog looks into your eyes, it says,
"I Love You, and put me to work". That's all they know really. They want you to "train" them, and It's unconditional love.
It will bring you up when you're down, and It can sense if you are getting sick, and lay by your side. One dog I saw would put his paw on the boy's foot when he was late on his medications.
It will protect you when you are around other people, and they can actually "smell" approaching "bad people", or dangerous situations, and pull you away, and get between you and the danger. A well trained dog is the ultimate "first responder".
Having a dog by your side breaks all kinds of ice with people and they will respect you more.
(but your dog must be well trained, by you and you alone) and it does not take much time at all. You never want a dog to "pull" on his leash, as soon as they start to, just give a little pull on the side of their neck, say "heel", and they will fall right into step with you. I they start to do something that you don't want them to do, quickly snap your finger and point directly at them with a stern look in your eye and they will understand more, no words are required, yelling "NO" at them makes them "head shy" and that's not good. Seek out the places which respect dogs and hang out there often. You will find that "hearing" is not all that's it's cracked up to be, watch peoples faces when they are talking or listening, the corners of their mouth and the corners of their eyes, "Tell No Lies". A dog's sense of smell is so intense, and he will become your "radar".

I lost my right ear in a bad accident and people treated me differently, some times without consideration, but I found that when I stood up straight, looked them in the eyes, and quietly said with my eyes, "How are YOU going to act", They responded quite well. It takes practice but you can do it.
Another thing you can do is keep a journal and write about the things that matter. Dr. Jordan Peterson has a "Self Authoring" series which is very very good.
Hope this helps, good luck. :+)

I feel isolated and angry living in tje hearing word. Given where I live, I have no real support to feel otherwise. Very bad experiences since going deaf about 3 years ago. Being deaf isn't the issue. How hearing people interact with me i
I’m deaf too, I only use sign language. I can talk but don’t talk to hearing people. So the challenge is on their side. Make them stupid. Due to vision loss I feel isolated, but with assistance I’m fine.

Hi,

I am hearing and I am very sorry your experienced with hearing people haven't been pleasant. I have felt isolated in other senses, but not in this sense. :( I really hope you find more open and kind individuals.

Back