Is wanting deaf children cultural/parental?

Show me. Show me one hearing parent who planned to keep their baby and then gave it up for adoption after they found out it was deaf.

Why do you always want concrete proof? Isn't an explanation good enough? Sometimes proof of it is not available.

You should start believing in people, it DOES happen.

Show me. Show me one hearing parent who planned to keep their baby and then gave it up for adoption after they found out it was deaf.

We have several students who were adopted by deaf people. However, I do not know all of the circumstances but I wouldnt be surprised if their parents gave them up after finding out their deafness especially in other countries.

still no way, That child is part of me and my husband.

I have heard of hearing parents giving their children up because they are deaf. But I also heard of deaf parents giving their children up because they are hearing.

Really? That's a shame but I hope these children found wonderful homes where they are loved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you always want concrete proof? Isn't an explanation good enough? Sometimes proof of it is not available.

You should start believing in people, it DOES happen.

Because I don't believe. People can SAY whatever thy want, that does NOT make it true. I could say that all white people beat their kids, if it helped make the point I'm trying to prove. Does that make it true?? Of course not. That is called "talking out of your a$$" Why should I believe something that is so unlikely just because someone says it?

Because I don't believe. People can SAY whatever thy want, that does NOT make it true. I could say that all white people beat their kids, if it helped make the point I'm trying to prove. Does that make it true?? Of course not. That is called "talking out of your a$$" Why should I believe something that is so unlikely just because someone says it?

Because they are sharing their experiences so just because you didnt experience it doesnt mean it is not true.

It seems like you dont believe deaf people in general.

Oh that would be difficult to find the link. Few of my friends are adopted. One gal who was born in vietnam, and found out that shes deaf. The mother begged US Army to take her to USA because she couldn't provide her for her needs that's what Us Army wrote down on the document.

Because they are sharing their experiences so just because you didnt experience it doesnt mean it is not true.

So at least back back it up with the full story. I find it unlikely that one person knows several hearing parents that have gotten "rid" of deaf kids, AND deaf families who did the same with hearing kids.

How did you meet these hearing families? How did they give up their kids? Was it still in the hospital after the newborn screen, or did they wait for proper audiological follow up?

Oh that would be difficult to find the link. Few of my friends are adopted. One gal who was born in vietnam, and found out that shes deaf. The mother begged US Army to take her to USA because she couldn't provide her for her needs that's what Us Army wrote down on the document.

That sounds like a parent trying to get the best for their child. That would be a terribly hard decision. She was trying to get her child a better life, not throwing her away because she is "broken".

So at least back back it up with the full story. I find it unlikely that one person knows several hearing parents that have gotten "rid" of deaf kids, AND deaf families who did the same with hearing kids.

How did you meet these hearing families? How did they give up their kids? Was it still in the hospital after the newborn screen, or did they wait for proper audiological follow up?

Your choice. Even by answering your questions, you will still continue to ask more questions. So why should we bother answering them if you arent going to believe us anyway?

That sounds like a parent trying to get the best for their child. That would be a terribly hard decision. She was trying to get her child a better life, not throwing her away because she is "broken".

You always have to be right

Your choice. Even by answering your questions, you will still continue to ask more questions. So why should we bother answering them if you arent going to believe us anyway?

I want to hear one honest, full story. If it is true you will be able to answer a few questions about it without difficulty, like where did you meet them and when. Why would that be a problem, IF you are telling the truth?

I have no problem with Deaf people. I have a problem with a person who vilifies another group of people, whether it is by race, sex or hearing status. Prejudice is very very ugly, and unacceptable.

I want to hear one honest, full story. If it is true you will be able to answer a few questions about it without difficulty, like where did you meet them and when. Why would that be a problem, IF you are telling the truth?

I have no problem with Deaf people. I have a problem with a person who vilifies another group of people, whether it is by race, sex or hearing status. Prejudice is very very ugly, and unacceptable.

Did anyone say that ALL hearing parents give up their deaf babies? That would be a different story but there are some cases where that has happened.

If people here have a problem with THEIR hearing parents, they should take it up with them instead of trying to make the rest of us look like monsters. Every single parent I know loves and values their Deaf children as precious gifts. They want nothing but the best for them. They want them to become happy, heathy, successful adults. None of us would "exchange" our kids, and I believe that every single parent would find that idea disgusting. I hope that no hearing parents have to ever be insulted like that when they attempt to bring their child into the Deaf community. That would be a horrible thing, and I am sure that it would turn a parent away. I hope that, instead, the community would welcome parents with open arms instead of suggesting that they are bad parents and don't know how to care for their own child.

The mother kept her other kids with her, not the deaf girl. so you tell me that.

I rather hearing parents to give up on kids who are deaf than abusing, making fun and giving Deaf kids hard times at home that several of my Deaf friends who had bad experiences with their hearing parents. :shrug:

So tell me the story that you have personally experienced.

See post #143

We have several students who were adopted by deaf people. However, I do not know all of the circumstances but I wouldnt be surprised if their parents gave them up after finding out their deafness especially in other countries.

Back