Is wanting deaf children cultural/parental?

Can you tell me what you think my beliefs are in regards to oral programs?

I am very wary of them. Dont trust them. Just my personal beliefs. It seems like you trust them as you enrolled your daughter in one. However, I am glad she has a strong first language. Just concerned about these children having full acess 100% of the time especially when they get older as the lessons become more complex. This is in reference to the educational setting.

Last edited:
I am very wary of them. Dont trust them. Just my personal beliefs. It seems like you trust them as you enrolled your daughter in one. However, I am glad she has a strong first language. Just concerned about these children having full acess 100% of the time especially when they gets older as the lessons become more complex. This is in reference to the educational setting.

And I agree with you on a lot of those points. I believe that access to the curriculum is key. I would not leave my child in an oral program if she was not accessing the information.

I was very hurt because it made me feel like I didn't belong and they loved my siblings more because they were deaf. They showed it too

I can related to you, I'm a deaf within a hearing family and sometimes I think they show more favoritism toward my sisters however they're hearing. They have always say that they don't love them more than me, but they showed that they do and actions speaks louder than words.

I have two hearing sons and I would never showed favoritism over another or will I ever and I never wished for my sons to be deaf either. But, I used to wished for a deaf child, but who doesn't wished for a child like yourself? It's only natural to think that way. ;) But, they shouldn't told you that they had wished you were deaf, that can hurt their child's self-esteem.

But my point is that I believe that every parent loves their child, even if they don't learn ASL. Just because they make different choices than I do doesn't mean they love their child less, it just means they have a different approach. There is no "right" or wrong.

A different approach for whom's best interest ? the parents or the child? The best interest is to recognize the child's needs. Am I right? :)

If I had a magic pill that would make Miss Kat hearing, I wouldn't do it. I don't want "every other kid", I want my girl. If she was hearing she wouldn't have the facial expressions, the goofy looks, the enthusiasm for life that she has now. She would have the wonderful friends that she has, and the amazing self confidence that comes from having 2 communities that love her.

:aw:

You and many other hearing parents chose the oral-only option over the BiBi method thinking that the hearing way is the best way. That's the whole point. History just repeats itself. Nothing new.

Hey now! faire_jour wanted visual (signs) and spoken (spoken language) for her daughter, if Bi-Bi isn't providing her both, then she can seek elsewhere for her child's needs, there's nothing wrong with that. She says nothing but mostly positive things about Bi-Bi and you continue bringing her down as usual. Why?

Hey now! faire_jour wanted visual (signs) and spoken (spoken language) for her daughter, if Bi-Bi isn't providing her both, then she can seek elsewhere for her child's needs, there's nothing wrong with that. She says nothing but mostly positive things about Bi-Bi and you continue bringing her down as usual. Why?

Nothing personal. Just a clash of views. She was hard on me just as I was hard on her. Nothing to cry over. We just disagree on certain things. That's life.

In my personal opinion, I feel if it wasn't for deaf school, more hearing parents would have put their children up for adoption. My great-grandfather sent three of his deaf daughters (my grandma's three sisters) to a deaf school and they were hardly heard from since. My grandma did visit them time to time, but very rarely.

In my personal opinion, I feel if it wasn't for deaf school, more hearing parents would have put their children up for adoption. My great-grandfather sent three of his deaf daughters (my grandma's three sisters) to a deaf school and they were hardly heard from since. My grandma did visit them time to time, but very rarely.

I think today it is extremely rare for a hearing parent to send their child residental. It happens more when the kids are older teens, but it is few and far between.

So, no, I don't think that not having residential schools would lead to more adoptions.

I think today it is extremely rare for a hearing parent to send their child residental. It happens more when the kids are older teens, but it is few and far between.

So, no, I don't think that not having residential schools would lead to more adoptions.

yeah, and I think it has to do with cochlear implant and hearing aids... But when a young, poor person look at all these options, expenses, and time that she have to put into because her child is deaf... especially without a father, She probably realize she can't do it, so she is probably likely to put her child up for adoption because she thinks her child is better off with someone who can. I think a residential school make it easier on them without having to feel they have to put their child up for adoption.

honestly, i don't really care if any of my children (in the future, if i do end up having some) are hearing or deaf. my deafness isn't genetic, it was caused by nerve damage at birth and nobody else in my family is deaf. so unless i mate with a deaf man who has strong genes, there is a very little chance that i'll have a deaf child. i would raise the children just the same.. teach them sign and send them to speech therapy.. no matter if he/she is hearing or deaf.

This long thread I only read few posts.

When I have children [fingers crossed!] I pray they not deaf.
If they deaf it may be more easy for me but that be very selfish on my part I think. For their sake I hope hearing be ok then not suffer like I did when my hearing went.

Back