Is this wrong

Is that tiny print the email? I am not seeing it , is your son HOH too?
I really agree with you about not forcing your daughter to wear her HA , she might take it as being a punishment I feel a child should want to wear their HA . I hated my HA as it was a body style one and big and boxy and it looked like I had one square boob when I was child. I think it's great that you are standing up for your child.

You need to click on the small one. Then it will come up larger like a photo does. It should be easy to read then (at least it is for me). I think the main point is the teacher did not write it using English grammar.

She definitely didn't. Honestly just a question really not all deaf write like that obviously because when I speak with everyone on here they seem to have better grammar than that?.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I do love their teachers though ,they do awesome with my kids and honestly I wouldn't change their school.

You need to click on the small one. Then it will come up larger like a photo does. It should be easy to read then (at least it is for me). I think the main point is the teacher did not write it using English grammar.

Thanks! I did click on it but I guess it didn't click hard enough . My right hand been hurting me.

She definitely didn't. Honestly just a question really not all deaf write like that obviously because when I speak with everyone on here they seem to have better grammar than that?.

It's important to note however, that English might be her second language. ASL has grammar of its own, which she uses all day everyday; it's probably very hard to switch back and forth. Some people on here (like me), even though they're deaf, they may not primarily use ASL. It all depends on the backgroud of the individual. The important thing is that you can understand what she is saying conceptually.

There are people on here from everywhere who all have different backgrounds of what they've learned, been through and all sorts of stuff. I was born Deaf and raised up with ASL, while speaking English and Romanian. Teaching kids at a young age is best when doing anything as that is when they learn the most. Yes, structuring sentences in ASL is completely different. However, if you taught students at a school for the Deaf all day, were probably Deaf yourself, would you probably not write like that? I think you would.... It says nothing about the teachers educational backing or anything like that. It simply to me states she is heavily immersed in ASL all the time, and I'm fine with that. :)

As far as the child is concerned, being six is definitely a time a child wants to test their boundaries as I said. HOWEVER, children also need to know there are rules set out there and they can't just go not listening to them whenever they please. Having a strong willed and strong minded child is an awesome thing. That's something that we all want for our children, I think we all agree. However, we all realize with a strong will we all recognize we want our children to respect and obey authority and rules. ( Forming into laws later on in life ) We all want our children to turn out as productive members of society. Listening to rules implemented for particular reasons are the starting of life lessons that will form her into the person she will be later on in life. This is also something to consider. I do not have children myself, however if there is a rule in school not to text in class, guess who will follow it? No, they're not related. But, it's still a rule implemented by the school, regardless. This rule for the hearing aid may be as previously stated for the safety of the child, we have no clue, therefore we can not pass judgement. These are, after all young children. I'm sure this "rule" will go away when they are a little older and they will be given the option to wear it or not to wear it should they choose. There is a lot we don't know about the particular situation.

As far as the comment "forcing Deafies to be Hearies" like it's the damn Deaf holocaust or something, ( Pardon me if my comparison is offensive to some but his reaction was that intense and we know it's NOTHING that severe ) you need to take a damn chill pill... seriously. As I previously stated, this rule may be for the safety of these kids. They are very young. There have been a hell of a lot of disgusting attacks on schools lately. Maybe, this rule is for the protection of the children, we don't know. Again, maybe when they get older and their senses are more developed, they will have a choice. I'm sure they will. At six, they're still developing everything, they don't have a lot of senses, and in an emergency situation, wouldn't you want your child having every ounce of chance? Maybe that's what this school is thinking of... Again, we don't know... We don't have a lot of information on the particular school or situation... I'm just playing devils advocate here and weighing in both sides... I'm not going with one side or the other... I'm just showing both possible sides have weight... Let me also tell you... a Hearing aid or a C.I. will NEVER MAKE US HEARING.... I have a C.I. and I am not hearing... I am still Deaf. Can I hear? yes... With a device when I wear it... Do I still have a restriction on the back of my drivers license that tells police officers in the state of Florida that I am Deaf? Yes, I do. A device does NOT make you hearing, nor does it FORCE you to be hearing... Holy crap... Chill the hell out and relax a little bit! Just because you don't want to wear one and it's not for you does NOT mean it isn't for everyone and does NOT mean others should not wear it or it shouldn't be available or made to be of use in a school. As I said, this may be an issue of safety.

Everyone is going to be passionate about one side or another of course, but again... we don't have a lot of information as I said.... just keep that in mind.

The school can't FORCE her physically to wear it.... Sure they can't... but they can have a rule. They can tell you that she can wear it or you can find alternative schooling for her or expel her or something I'm sure. I'm sure that's not an option you want to happen. So, it sounds like you need to have a heart to heart with your little girl. Tell her she can not wear it when she leaves school if she doesn't like it.

Last edited:
It's important to note however, that English might be her second language. ASL has grammar of its own, which she uses all day everyday; it's probably very hard to switch back and forth. Some people on here (like me), even though they're deaf, they may not primarily use ASL. It all depends on the backgroud of the individual. The important thing is that you can understand what she is saying conceptually.

Well I just learned something new! I had no idea that there were two different forums of writing so, that could be it. I'd imagine she's strictly asl as she is deaf and I could imagine being bilingual (which it basically is) and going back and fourth, can be quite hard.

@mew you are right as far as rules and becoming adults and laws we have to follow.

I agree with Mew mostly...if it were my child, I would require her to wear the HA at school...and give her a reprieve at home. A 6 year old is in no position at all to say what she wants to do or what she is going to do.....It's also a good time for teaching her what the "rules" are and how far she can bend them....Feel so many parents just coddle their child and give in to any whims and whines they come up with...

As for myself, if a HA would help me at all...damn sure I would wear it!

It does not matter about the grammar. Apparently that she wants you to know that your boy did get emotions for some reasons. So he threw the stuffed animal for a reason. i guess that is it.

One thing I question though. Is someone that has trouble with English grammar being expected to teach English grammar to kids? If so, I have a feeling that it results in more people that do not have English grammar skills.

ok so i have a 6 year old daughter she refuses to wear her hearing aid she goes to Maryland school for the Deaf and they are getting on me about her not wearing her hearing aid is it the LAW that you have to make someone do something they dont want to do .. like there are deafies out there that can benefit from Ha's that wont wear them right??

I wouldn't wear mine at that age but it was just that all I knew was life without them so it was a big adjustment. I didn't know what the big deal was about wearing or not wearing them. My teachers and parents tried the reward system and it eventually kicked in. I wouldn't make too much of it. Eventually I realized the benefit of wearing them and did but children take time.

Laura

Why does she have to wear the da*m hearing aids? Forcing a kid to eat something she doesn't like is abuse, after all. Sigh.

I disagree! How are the kids going to learn when they get older? What are parents for anyways? A onlooker... I think not. What if your SIX year old want sweets instead of dinner, do you say, OK that is fine, can't make ya? Or he/she wants to go outside with the neighbor kids down the street at 11 pm... Sure be safe... I can't make you stay in! ;)

I had to wear a hearing aid when I entered grade school. I didn't want to, threw I fit I'm told, but had to wear them anyway. Wow, I'm sure glad they made me wear them back then. The compromise was I didn't have to wear them at home if I didn't want to.

Sometime you have to do what is best for the kids. That is the parents job!
IF that is ABUSE, there is something wrong with the system.

It really kind of depends on the situation. You have to look at why the person doesn't want to do something.

For instance, I have sensory issues that make eating a certain texture horrible, and being forced to do so by angry adults who thought I just didn't like it was torture.

If one just doesn't want to, I personally would entertain it in terms of HAs. Not wearing HAs isn't going to make or break it for her. Follow the rules at school, yes, and instill that in her, but elsewhere, she shouldn't have to.

If one just doesn't want to, I personally would entertain it in terms of HAs. Not wearing HAs isn't going to make or break it for her. Follow the rules at school, yes, and instill that in her, but elsewhere, she shouldn't have to.
I disagree again. It can and will make or break it for her at school.

You have to do what is best for your kid to be successful at school. To start with, some don't like to go to school... do you keep them home? No you don't. If they need glasses to read, you get them glasses. If not hearing classmates or teachers is holding them back, you get them a HA.

Had my parents did what I wanted, not to wear HA at school, I wouldn't have achieved some of the things I did in life, such as managing Golds Gym for 8 years, then owning my own fitness Center for 8 more years. It help prepare me to work with the hearing public. I THANK my parents for that!

If you want your kid to stay in their own little world and not get ahead in life, then go ahead and do whatever they wish...

I agree with this

I'm not sure you should agree with this. I've never gone to a deaf school(I have had special classes), but there must be policies in place for things like hearing aids. Your daughter's classes are most likely setup around the fact that she can make use of the aid. If she doesn't wear the aid in that setting, if is very unlikely she will be learning correctly, if at all.

If it were me, I wouldn't play politics with my daughter's education.

I'm not sure you should agree with this. I've never gone to a deaf school(I have had special classes), but there must be policies in place for things like hearing aids. Your daughter's classes are most likely setup around the fact that she can make use of the aid. If she doesn't wear the aid in that setting, if is very unlikely she will be learning correctly, if at all.

If it were me, I wouldn't play politics with my daughter's education.

What's politics got to do with it??? This is a parents choice, not the government, your friends or even your child choices. You are shaping the rest of your child's life, whether your child likes it or not. There are a lot of things your child don't like such as brushing their teeth, eating a balance meal, keeping their room reasonable, bedtime hours. HA fits into that category. Your doing your child a FAVOR by requiring to wear HA at certain times. Sure, allow plenty of times where they can have it off, even most of the time if they don't need it. If your kid was not seeing well enough to read, you would get them glasses! Same goes for HA. Glasses are much more obstructive and a hassle to get use to then a HA believe me.

In my case, I have profound 90-100 db in one ear, and zero in the other.
To this day, I don't like wearing HA, especially back in the day (1957-70) when I had to wear take them off when I'm alone as this world is too noisy and I love silence. However I KNOW I need to wear them in public for safety as well as helping understanding what the hearing people say. As a small child, I didn't know the importance of this. THANK YOU Mom & Dad!

Doing HA and Cochlear implants is two completely different things.

My parents had another tough choice to make when I was a teenager and was old enough to help make choices for myself (as a six year old, I was not). The doctor was pressuring them to do the Cochlear implant which was in it's primitive stages. I in no way wanted that, had a problem enough wearing what I had. So in this case, they told the doctor no, we wanted to wait for more advancement on that. The compromise back then was when I went to BTE which I wear to this day 40 years later.

If you plan to keep your child home most of their lives, or keep them around deaf people that sign only for the rest of their lives, (deaf school/friends) ... then sure, they don't need HA. But your not doing them a favor doing that.

I'm done on this subject, I've posted three times on this subject, if some of you don't get it... that is your choice, not mine, the governments or anyone else's.

What's politics got to do with it??? This is a parents choice, not the government, your friends or even your child choices. You are shaping the rest of your child's life, whether your child likes it or not. There are a lot of things your child don't like such as brushing their teeth, eating a balance meal, keeping their room reasonable, bedtime hours. HA fits into that category. Your doing your child a FAVOR by requiring to wear HA at certain times. Sure, allow plenty of times where they can have it off, even most of the time if they don't need it. If your kid was not seeing well enough to read, you would get them glasses! Same goes for HA. Glasses are much more obstructive and a hassle to get use to then a HA believe me.

In my case, I have profound 90-100 db in one ear, and zero in the other.
To this day, I don't like wearing HA, especially back in the day (1957-70) when I had to wear take them off when I'm alone as this world is too noisy and I love silence. However I KNOW I need to wear them in public for safety as well as helping understanding what the hearing people say. As a small child, I didn't know the importance of this. THANK YOU Mom & Dad!

Doing HA and Cochlear implants is two completely different things.

My parents had another tough choice to make when I was a teenager and was old enough to help make choices for myself (as a six year old, I was not). The doctor was pressuring them to do the Cochlear implant which was in it's primitive stages. I in no way wanted that, had a problem enough wearing what I had. So in this case, they told the doctor no, we wanted to wait for more advancement on that. The compromise back then was when I went to BTE which I wear to this day 40 years later.

If you plan to keep your child home most of their lives, or keep them around deaf people that sign only for the rest of their lives, (deaf school/friends) ... then sure, they don't need HA. But your not doing them a favor doing that.

I'm done on this subject, I've posted three times on this subject, if some of you don't get it... that is your choice, not mine, the governments or anyone else's.

I don't believe trials of cochlear implant even began in the US until 1987,and then it was very limited.

I don't believe trials of cochlear implant even began in the US until 1987,and then it was very limited.

Yes and no... You probably wasn't even born yet... Real advancement approved by the FDA in 1984, not 87, yes, but they were doing it long before that. I remember sitting in the doctors office with my parents back in the early 70's. It was in it's early stages and the doctor wanted me to get a head start in it. He was one of the few that was qualified to do the surgery AND he was a family friend, not just a doctor. I was best friends with his daughter in school.

History of Cochlear Implants
In 1972, a speech processor was developed to interface with the House 3M single-electrode implant and was the first to be commercially marketed. More than 1,000 of these devices were implanted between 1972 to the mid 1980s. In 1980, the age criteria for use of this device was lowered from 18 to 2 years. ). During the 1980’s, several hundred children had been implanted with the House 3M single channel device. The FDA formally approved the marketing of the 3M/ House cochlear implant in November 1984. By the late eighties, virtually all of the major concerns about the long-term success and safety of cochlear implants were largely resolved.

Back