Is this wrong

The only thing wrong with her spoken language is her use of the words "me" and "I" like any normal child other than that if she says a word wrong I will tell her correctly she will repeat it that's about it honestly but like I said in my introduction I recently posted I've had a lot of issues with this school..., I will ask her about her ear mold I've never had a skeleton ear mold before my hearing apparently is "too bad" to use that mold

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I stopped wearing cochlear implant when I was 15. I am 32 now. It didn't help much.

She's six.... That's explanation all in its own. She'll grow out of the phase. If she doesn't want to wear it, she doesn't want to wear it... end of story. It's not like the school can tape them to her head! :laugh2: They're just going to have to deal with it. :P Just be supportive of her decision. :P If she doesn't want to wear it and she doesn't like them, so be it... simple. :)

It's amazing how strong minded a 6 yo child can be. They're testing how far they can go and you do not want to break a child little spirit . It sound like the OP has a very strong minded little girl and that is great. I wonder if this is more about the teacher's oversize ego and needing to be in control of everything. :hmm:

The only thing wrong with her spoken language is her use of the words "me" and "I" like any normal child other than that if she says a word wrong I will tell her correctly she will repeat it that's about it honestly but like I said in my introduction I recently posted I've had a lot of issues with this school..., I will ask her about her ear mold I've never had a skeleton ear mold before my hearing apparently is "too bad" to use that mold

If that is the only thing wrong with her spoken language she is doing better that some grow up. I wore a skeleton ear mold but I got too much feedback .
And I am not sure how good I would been about wearing a hearing aid all the time that young. The molds get sweaty and I bet your daughter is very active and the HA could be getting in her way.

I also wanted to say that sometimes I wear my HA all the time - other times I don't wear it at all. I have HL, as well as APD and sometimes no amount of volume will help me process sounds - but the volume/sounds will give me a headache/make it harder to focus. I look at my HA as a tool that helps me in some situations and doesn't in others.

The difficult thing for parents is that children go through all sorts of stages - it's weighing how much is "hearing" related, and how much is just "I don't want to". Clearly if your child made a fuss about refusing to wear shoes, or a jacket in the cold etc you'd still make them do it. In a lot of ways HAs with kids can be the same - it's not that they hate their HA, it's just that they've chosen that item to be their "control item" for a period of time.

I would make sure all her settings are correct, that everything is comfortable (mould, tubing length, etc) and talk to her about the specifics of why she's currently not wanting to wear it/them. As a HA user yourself it's a great chance to be "real" with her - explain that you too sometimes may find them frustrating, uncomfortable etc and then see if the two of you can find a solution that works (IE she wears them at school for classes, but can turn them off at lunch, breaks, and at certain times at home etc ...)

Work together to find a balance.

I also wanted to say that sometimes I wear my HA all the time - other times I don't wear it at all. I have HL, as well as APD and sometimes no amount of volume will help me process sounds - but the volume/sounds will give me a headache/make it harder to focus. I look at my HA as a tool that helps me in some situations and doesn't in others.

The difficult thing for parents is that children go through all sorts of stages - it's weighing how much is "hearing" related, and how much is just "I don't want to". Clearly if your child made a fuss about refusing to wear shoes, or a jacket in the cold etc you'd still make them do it. In a lot of ways HAs with kids can be the same - it's not that they hate their HA, it's just that they've chosen that item to be their "control item" for a period of time.

I would make sure all her settings are correct, that everything is comfortable (mould, tubing length, etc) and talk to her about the specifics of why she's currently not wanting to wear it/them. As a HA user yourself it's a great chance to be "real" with her - explain that you too sometimes may find them frustrating, uncomfortable etc and then see if the two of you can find a solution that works (IE she wears them at school for classes, but can turn them off at lunch, breaks, and at certain times at home etc ...)

Work together to find a balance.

The OP checked out her child HA and found nothing wrong with it , I really feel this has more to do with the child age. Wearing a hearing aid and shoes are not the same . You need to wear shoes when walking outside , you do not need to wear a HA to when outside you can use your eyes .
I got along outside for 8 years fine , I was 8 yo when I got my first HA.

There is also something to be said for following the rules of the place you want to be.

If the school has a rule for her to wear the hearing aid, and you don't support it, plus you say she hears and talks fine without it, maybe free up her spot for someone who actually needs it and put her out in the mainstream.

There is also something to be said for following the rules of the place you want to be.

If the school has a rule for her to wear the hearing aid, and you don't support it, plus you say she hears and talks fine without it, maybe free up her spot for someone who actually needs it and put her out in the mainstream.

Well said! :)

I honestly don't know what the rules are I will have to check the handbook but thanks for the advice everyone.

you're welcome (if she's not using it, you should rock it in your ears) *just a cute thought of it cause you should be a party rave mama with the LED!* (if yours is the same as her atm)

Yeah , but do schools have a right to make a student wear their HA? I mean can a school legally do this?

Apparently and ppl wonder why the deaf community is dying off eventually if ur child is deaf at birth and a parent refuses to implant a ci they probably will be locked up for child abuse

Fascist bastards!!!!!
forcing Deafies to be hearie
****ers!!!!
This needs to stop
ENOUGH!

Can you show provide some links that back this up. I what reasons are schools using, I am guess they're is for the safety of the child , but a kid can their HA off or just take the battery out.

I really don't need to. It most likely would be in the IEP.

Well I don't recall in her IEP that there is a place that states she has to wear her hearing aid yes she benefits from using it but I don't see how someone can force another to do so I do see your point as far as academics go but at the same time it's like the deaf school is the pot calling the kettle black it's a Deaf school so it's not like she couldn't learn even if she chose not to she knows asl and her teachers do not talk they are non oral completely deaf so that's what confuses me on why would they want to force it maybe tell her ok well we need to do speech let's place the hearing aid in and do speech and if you don't want to wear it afterwards we will put it away and not say anything afterwards just go with the flow to see what she does I just know at home she never wants it even if I say here let's put your hearing aid in and my son who is also deaf wears his everyday there are somedays he will give them a break but he never really gave me problems like she does and my lord his can be loud to me they feedback and all but the settings are to his needs

Back