Is this wrong

AandEMomma

Reaction score
ok so i have a 6 year old daughter she refuses to wear her hearing aid she goes to Maryland school for the Deaf and they are getting on me about her not wearing her hearing aid is it the LAW that you have to make someone do something they dont want to do .. like there are deafies out there that can benefit from Ha's that wont wear them right??

Is there some reason why she doesn't want to wear the hearing aid? Too loud? Does her ear hurt? I would think it'd be hard to "force" a child to wear a hearing aid if they don't want it. Perhaps you can talk with your daughter and see if you can come up with an agreement (such as, wear hearing aid for school, and take it off when she gets home; something like that). Maybe talk with the school or her teacher or someone too, I don't know.

There are plenty of deaf adults who choose not to wear hearing aids and that is perfectly fine. Everyone is different, some want to hear and use hearing aids/CIs, and others do not and are perfectly happy being deaf.

you can always pimp your daughter's hearing aids. (since it's spring, why not cover it in flowers and bunnies?? or easter eggs and chicks?

some of the pimpers here might give you some cute ideas.

Maybe it's painful for her.... Anytime we get kids in the hospital that don't like wearing them we usually find it's because they're uncomfortable in some way.... Have you bothered talking to her and asking her why she doesn't like to wear them? Maybe disclosing why she doesn't like to wear them would help us better understand the situation a little more. If she's in a school with other Deaf children, I sincerely doubt it's an issue with style...

I'm implanted with a C.I. and I sure as hell don't wear it all the time... Just because you CAN benefit doesn't mean you HAVE to wear it, of course not....

Maryland School for the Deaf ... agh! peer pressure

Does any of her classmates wear HA?

Yes there are all sorts of kids in her school mostly with a ci the other have ha's she just says she doesn't want to wear them were going through the 6year old know it all stage lol but I am going to look into belonging her out I have talked with her audiologist and she says she turned them down I was thinking they were too loud I wear ha's and so does her bother both kids chose their ha's

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Yes there are all sorts of kids in her school mostly with a ci the other have ha's she just says she doesn't want to wear them were going through the 6year old know it all stage lol but I am going to look into belonging her out I have talked with her audiologist and she says she turned them down I was thinking they were too loud I wear ha's and so does her bother both kids chose their ha's

Don't have kids so this question comes from not knowing what is out there. But is she stuck with the volume that the Audi set or does she have any control herself?

Why does she have to wear the da*m hearing aids? Forcing a kid to eat something she doesn't like is abuse, after all. Sigh.

What kind of hearing aid is your daughter wearing ? There is a jell you can put on the ear mold to make it easier to get the ear mold in her ear . A new ear mold can be uncomfortable to wear for the first few days . The jell is called OTO- EASE and the audi should have it. If the hearing aid fit behind her ear make sure the tubing is not cutting into her ear . If is very painful and leave a small cut in the ear. If that is happening the tubing need to be recut so it fit on the ear comfortable . It could also be too loud like some people . How long has she been wearing the HA ? I know when I got my first HA when I was almost 8 yo it took awhile getting use to hearing so many new sounds.

Don't have kids so this question comes from not knowing what is out there. But is she stuck with the volume that the Audi set or does she have any control herself?

She's stuck with all controls the audiologist set

What kind of hearing aid is your daughter wearing ? There is a jell you can put on the ear mold to make it easier to get the ear mold in her ear . A new ear mold can be uncomfortable to wear for the first few days . The jell is called OTO- EASE and the audi should have it. If the hearing aid fit behind her ear make sure the tubing is not cutting into her ear . If is very painful and leave a small cut in the ear. If that is happening the tubing need to be recut so it fit on the ear comfortable . It could also be too loud like some people . How long has she been wearing the HA ? I know when I got my first HA when I was almost 8 yo it took awhile getting use to hearing so many new sounds.

I have checked all of that I wear ha's too she was 3 months old when she got her first set these are oticon safari she also has a skeleton ear mold

I have checked all of that I wear ha's too she was 3 months old when she got her first set these are oticon safari she also has a skeleton ear mold

Then I guess she just does not like hearing , maybe she is having trouble understanding what people are saying and the HA only made it worst? I would not force a child to wear a HA . I think you should put her HA away and let your decide when and if she want to wear it. The school can get a CART for daughter to see and have someone teach ASL. It should be up to the parents if their child wear a their HA! The teachers are acting like their the kids parents and that is wrong.

I have the same hearing aid here as you see my pic. (stupid warranty is running out next week for me)

She actually talks and hears me when I talk to her with out she is learning asl in school and signs when she talks it is just crazy how the school acts and I agree they act like they are their parents and they aren't we just are like isn't this a deaf school lol what do they do when the kids parents refuse a ci if they are totally deaf?? Like seriously I'm not against them for other people but if god were to bless me with a deaf baby I'm not going to place instruments in their head we are going to learn a new way that's what's wrong with the world they always want you to live to their standards make u live in the hearing world what so when you get older and can't afford the hearing aides because insurance won't cover them and you have to pay out of pocket for them and do not know asl your lost and that's where I am right now so I do t find anything wrong with a child who wants to learn to live without

I had a skeleton mould once and found it uncomfortable and that it shifted (and had feedback) ... when I switched to a solid full mould, that all went away and it was much more comfortable.

If she has multiple programs, perhaps she could have one set as "quiet" and one as "normal". I have fluctuating hearing loss on my Hoh side and find somedays sounds just hurt :(

Personally myself, I went 6 years without wearing HAs, now I've grown up, I realised I want to wear them! My patents never forced me in to wearing them.

I would do as Anij says and look at how the earmold is fitting her.

This is HILARIOUS that the SCHOOL is demanding HA usage. Gee AG Bell, looks like there's plenty of speech and auditory training and aid usage!
Is her spoken language OK? If her spoken language is OK, I'd be all " She doesn't want to wear them. She's talking and is verbal and is progressing.....she's not in an auditory-oral program, she's learning visually. She doesn't need them at school. She's OK without them.

She is at the age where she starting to think more for herself and I feel a child should be able express their feelings when they feel very strongly about something. If she is force to wear her HA she might end up hating it and trying to break it. I once tried to take my body style HA apart .I did not understand how it worked and was always seeing my dad taking things apart to see how it worked. I was very lucky and not able to take my HA apart, my dad would had taken me apart!

She's six.... That's explanation all in its own. She'll grow out of the phase. If she doesn't want to wear it, she doesn't want to wear it... end of story. It's not like the school can tape them to her head! :laugh2: They're just going to have to deal with it. :P Just be supportive of her decision. :P If she doesn't want to wear it and she doesn't like them, so be it... simple. :)

Back