Is this true about Gallaudet?

think about this. the same president of gally was president at NTID. and what was NTID ?? a AOS school. on a level with a junior college. if the present president of NTID could not get NTID back to AAS at least then Gally has no hope. when will Gally become an AOS college? didn't they have accredition problems recently?
both Gally and NTID are only interested in the bodies that will keep them getting government funding. at least NTID is a way to get cheap tuition at RIT

Wirelessly posted

Are they able to take other courses? I was able to take a few courses that didn't require math or english while I was taking developmental english and algebra( I already took algebra in high school and passed..just that I forgotten it. I know I will have to take it again because I forgot again). It helps shortened my time spent in college.
Yes, you can take other courses... as long as they're allowed.

Some courses are considered electives and can be taken by anyone. Some courses aren't electives, but are not restricted only to students by major. So, those can also be taken by anyone.

I wouldn't encourage you to take a lot of them though because that would likely extend the time it takes to finish your degree. There are some students who think that their related courses are too hard that they decide to have 75% easy classes and 25% related classes... leading them to spending 7 to 10 years just to get an AOS degree.

One guy took 7 years to get his AOS degree and boasted that he would be going to RIT to get his BS. Unfortunately, his AOS degree lacked the liberal arts requirements needed to enter RIT. So, he had to go back to NTID and try to finish those classes. I don't think he ever did go back though. :dunno:

What they usually say to students who take those tests are that the tests are "not graded". What they mean is that they aren't graded to be applied to their GPA and that they are actually evaluated based on how well they do on the test to determine where they are to be placed. Sadly, a lot of students think... "Not graded? Fine, I'll just bullshit my way through it and be on my way!" So, they do poorly on those tests sending them back to the lowest level courses offered. :(

And I find that spell checkers are useless when you have to use professional terms in the writing. I can't tell you how many times it has told me a well accepted and widely used psych term is misspelled when it isn't.

Thats why I use the "add" feature.

I planned on finishing my AA in a community college and then transfering to a University. Before I could take any courses I had to take a Math and English placement test. I did fine in English, but had to take remedial Math courses and it won't count towards my degree until I get my math where it needs to be. And now that I'm trying to enlist into the Navy I have to take an ASVAB which again tests me on my English and Math (along with other subjects, but only English and Math count towards my score)

Never rely on yahoo answers unless you want opinions. It's not good for facts unless you are trying to do calculus or direct statements.

You could go to a few sites to check on college admission rankings, though. collegeboard, college confidential, and usnews (requires subscription). Their data is collected directly from the school, I believe. For direct data on academia performance you'd probably have to go to admissions directly or attend their board meetings.

Here's a few examples -

Collegeboard: College Search - Gallaudet University - Gally - At a Glance
Type of School

• Private
  • Liberal Arts College
  • University
  • Four-year
  • Coed
  • Percent applicants admitted: 68%
  • Regionally Accredited
  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Calendar: Semester
Degrees offered:

• Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral

• Other characteristics: Only liberal arts university in the world designed exclusively for deaf and hard of hearing students. Bilingual (English/American Sign Language), multicultural environment, assistive devices (TTY's or campus phones, closed captioned television and campus films), specially-designed classrooms and dormitories available.
Setting

• Urban setting
  • Very large city (over 500,000)
  • Residential campus
Size

• Total undergrads: 1,081
  • First-time degree-seeking freshmen: 211
  • Degree-seeking undergrads: 1,053
  • Graduate enrollment: 407
Student Body

How Do I Stack Up? How does my academic performance stack up?

1st-year students:

• 1% In-state students
  • 99% Out-of-state students

• 53% Women
  • 47% Men

• <1% American Indian/Alaskan Native
  • 4% Asian/Pacific Islander
  • 13% Black/Non-Hispanic
  • 9% Hispanic
  • 66% White/Non-Hispanic
  • 7% Non-Resident Alien
  • 1% Race/ethnicity unreported

• 23% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
  • 41% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
  • 23% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
  • 13% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99

Collegeview: http://www.collegeview.com/schools/gallaudet_university/figures?siteId=68
School Overview

Type Standard (4 year)
Level Four Year School
Control Private nonprofit
Academic Calendar Semester
Coed Status 47% Men, 53% Women
Year Founded --
Religious Affiliation None
Carnegie Classification Masters Colleges and Universities -
Awarding 100 - 199 degrees
Historically Black --
Tribal --
Accredited Yes
Accreditors --

Campus Overview
Campus Size Small
Campus Setting
Located within a major urban area
City/Town Size Large City, greater than 250,000 pop
Nearest Major City (Miles to Nearest Major City) (Population)
Washington Dc (--) ( -- )
Campus Served by Public Transportation --
Closest Major Airport (Miles to Airport) Washington Dc (--)
Closest Regional Airport (Miles to Airport) Dulles International Airport (--)

Student Body Make-up

School Size 1,480
Undergraduate Students 986
Graduate Students 494
Full-time Students vs Part-time Students 94% vs 6%
Percent Out-of-state 98%
Number of International Students --
Average Typical Undergraduate Credits 12
Primary language of Instruction -- Enrollment Concentration --

Retention Rate
Full-time Students 55%
Part-time Students 0%

Graduation Rate
Men 20%
Women 30%
Bachelors within 4 Years 5%
Bachelors within 5 Years 19%
Bachelors within 6 Years 25%
Caucasians 26% (33/126)
African American 14% (4/28)
Hispanic 29% (4/14)
Asian/Pacific Islander 29% (2/7)
Native American --
Race Unknown 29% (2/7)
International Student 29% (9/31)

Faculty Information

Total Number of Professors 90 Total Number of Associate Professors 61 Total Number of Assistant Professors 34 Total Male Faculty 75 Total Female Faculty 136 Faculty with Terminal Degree -- Faculty with Bachelors Degree -- Faculty with Masters Degree --

Diversity

Percent English Speaking -- Percent French Speaking -- Percent Spanish Speaking -- Caucasian Population -- African American Population 11% Asian Population 5% Hispanic Population 7% Native American Population 2% Native/Pacific Islander Population -- Two or More Race Population -- International Student Population -- Unknown Race Population

When I was going to my county's community college I had to take the Math & English placement tests. I failed both. What I am happy about is that since I have changed majors, from Early Childhood Ed to ASL Interpreting. And I switched schools, I don't have to take a math class ever again! YAY!

Don't rag on the "junior colleges." We have excellent community colleges where I live. The professors at the community colleges are paid more than the professors at the state colleges. There are some good professors at our community college and they are accessible. Yea, I picked up some credits there.

Graduate school most definately cares what your English is like. Take a practice GRE (required for admission to a grad program). You will see just how much they care about your English.

And Reba is correct. A major part of grad school is doing research and writing research reports. And they are very, very strict about the writing style and the format.

Some graduate programs require GRE. A lot of writing research reports, I am telling you, Matajan.

Don't rag on the "junior colleges." We have excellent community colleges where I live. The professors at the community colleges are paid more than the professors at the state colleges. There are some good professors at our community college and they are accessible. Yea, I picked up some credits there.

I took some courses at a community college, then transferred most of my credits to university. I had no problem with that as long as it saved my parents money by sending me to a community college there.

I got my first AA degree at a junior college. I CLEPed my general math, English, science, history, and humanities classes, so I didn't have to take them. Between that, and credits I got for my military school, I only needed one year to get the degree. My credits transferred to a four-year college when we moved to South Carolina. That's where I got my BS in political science. I had some GI Bill left over, so I took a couple semester in computer programing. Then, a few years later, I transferred credits to a technical college that offered an ITP. I paid for those courses myself. After I took the interpreting major courses, I got my degree in interpreting.

Most of the time I went part time or in the evening since I had a young child to care for, and for some of the time I was in the Navy. The rest of the time, I worked part time. Most of my ITP was under a pilot distance learning program. (I was the guinea pig graduate, :lol: . )

There's more than one path available for education.

I agree. I graduated high school then entered the local community college for a year before I started NTID's Summer Vestibule Program. That Fall, I went directly into RIT classes. (Don't let the fact that I got kicked out of campus a semester later detract from anything I have learned from the community college, lol.)

Last edited:
Personally, I think all general breadth and remedial courses at a local college are comparable with nearly all university level courses. The purpose in the 100-200 ranges are to mainly to prep you and give focus for the material beyond, so it's basically entry level for most if not all colleges. The smaller classes at colleges are an advantage for folks who learn better with less classmates.

The difference between these institutions are when an individual advances past the general level and into the 300/400 courses, where the topics get specific.

Unfortunately most of the 300 and beyond level are mainly offered only at the universities, unsurprisingly, as they have the budget for the equipment and allocation for those courses. Physics, chemistry, biology and related sciences classes where a specific focus comes to mind.

Once you're in any 300 or above class, it seems equally comparable with the focus of graduate studies - less students per course and streamlined into a specific topic.

matajan, if you intend to get an advanced degree in law studies or communications, whatever is on your mind, take into account that the writing involved is only going to get harder. Are you ready to make a thesis?

same. the best bang outta my buck for some quality education!

Some graduate programs require GRE. A lot of writing research reports, I am telling you, Matajan.

I believe ALL graduate programs require GRE unless you're graduating from same school.

I took some courses at a community college, then transferred most of my credits to university. I had no problem with that as long as it saved my parents money by sending me to a community college there.

that's what I intend to do for my future children :lol:

Personally, I think all general breadth and remedial courses at a local college are comparable with nearly all university level courses. The purpose in the 100-200 ranges are to mainly to prep you and give focus for the material beyond, so it's basically entry level for most if not all colleges. The smaller classes at colleges are an advantage for folks who learn better with less classmates.

The difference between these institutions are when an individual advances past the general level and into the 300/400 courses, where the topics get specific.

Unfortunately most of the 300 and beyond level are mainly offered only at the universities, unsurprisingly, as they have the budget for the equipment and allocation for those courses. Physics, chemistry, biology and related sciences classes where a specific focus comes to mind.

Once you're in any 300 or above class, it seems equally comparable with the focus of graduate studies - less students per course and streamlined into a specific topic.

matajan, if you intend to get an advanced degree in law studies or communications, whatever is on your mind, take into account that the writing involved is only going to get harder. Are you ready to make a thesis?

bingo. right on the spot.

nowadays - level 100-200 courses at community colleges are pretty good. If you want to step up, you go to state college. Its level 300-400 courses are comparable to private prestigious colleges but like you said in your post - there will be a distinctive difference between those schools - the funds.

Because of 9/11 and a various of financial boost bills by the President... many reputable state colleges have built new departments, majors, and facilities to train students for defense programs.

ie. Virginia Tech recently built new bioscience/biotech facilities and majors such as infectious diseases and neurotoxicity.

SanJac? Good baseball team too. HCC....:dunno:

The deaf students I work with at the college where I went to grad school have to take an average of 1 year developmental work in math and English. Virtually all of them came from the mainsteam. The interesting thing is, approximately 77% of hearing college freshmen have to take an average of 1 year developmental work in math and English, as well. Says more about the quality of education in the mainstream than anything else.
Yup. It's not just the dhh students! And I mean I know someone (hearing) who was almost literally mentally disabled. Like he couldn't write coherent sentances or a complete essay, and also got grade school level math wrong....yet he was at a college?!?!
The mainstream is overrated.......Hearing parents seem to think that their dhh kids will get an education equalivant to an Ivy League feeder school education, if they are mainstreamed.
Even the education available in the mainstream isn't very good.

Back