Is this the year of the cicadas qq

Fly Free

Reaction score
CoolieFroggie and i saw a couple cicada shells outside in our yard and i was thinking it wasnt the right year for the 7 year or 17 year cicadas -- we researched it and cant seem to find the right information for which years the cicadas should be out and about for a mere week to mate and die off :confused:

anyone know for sure qq

Fly Free said:
CoolieFroggie and i saw a couple cicada shells outside in our yard and i was thinking it wasnt the right year for the 7 year or 17 year cicadas -- we researched it and cant seem to find the right information for which years the cicadas should be out and about for a mere week to mate and die off :confused:

anyone know for sure qq

Er, no You could try googling cicadas or locusts cycles. Exact terms.

Otherwise :dunno:

All I know about the buggers is this, they are LOUD and I don't like 'em! :lol:

The last time I saw a cicada invasion, we were living in MD. At the time, I was probably 12yo. I don't remmy. What I DO remember is being outside in the yard, and hearing how LOUD they were! I sorta went "Mommy, what's that noise?" She told me they were bugs, and I went :ugh2: :lol:

I sorta also remember seeing the carcasses, too. Not sure how to explain those, or what they were exactly. But, they fell from the trees, were white with "tails", and there were ALOT of them!!!

Uh, cicadas are ba-aaad news! I don't like the suckers!!! :lol:

Oceanbreeze said:
Er, no You could try googling cicadas or locusts cycles. Exact terms.

Otherwise :dunno:

All I know about the buggers is this, they are LOUD and I don't like 'em! :lol:

The last time I saw a cicada invasion, we were living in MD. At the time, I was probably 12yo. I don't remmy. What I DO remember is being outside in the yard, and hearing how LOUD they were! I sorta went "Mommy, what's that noise?" She told me they were bugs, and I went :ugh2: :lol:

I sorta also remember seeing the carcasses, too. Not sure how to explain those, or what they were exactly. But, they fell from the trees, were white with "tails", and there were ALOT of them!!!

Uh, cicadas are ba-aaad news! I don't like the suckers!!! :lol:

the white thingy is skins that come off - i didnt know it was that? i saw them (skins) every year.. see them on trees and ground... everywhere.. but if it was cicadas, that would be impossible as they dont come out till 17 yrs ?? last time they came out was in 2004.. i dont know?? weird?? lmao..

Periodic, 2-8 year cycle- These insects "seem" to appear every year in some areas, because their life cycle is staggered. Actually, a different brood is hatching each year to make it seem like they are annual.

ok now i undy why... its very crystal clear to me now.. heh..

LuciaDisturbed said:
OMFG EW!!!! Those things are ugly! :shudders:

Here in Texas there are little baby monarchy butterflies EVERYWHERE, there are swarms of them! Our friend said it has something with the migration. :dunno:

Maybe they were released somewhere at Wedding? Some people do use real Monarchy butterflies instead of rice for environment reasons.

http://www.themonarchy.com/

same here.. Arkansas do have millions of Monarchy Butterflies.. I love to look at them and see how graceful they fly over grass and flowers.. so beautiful to look at.. it's TJ's favorite as well as mine. :)

SmileyGin said:
Maybe they were released somewhere at Wedding? Some people do use real Monarchy butterflies instead of rice for environment reasons.

http://www.themonarchy.com/

same here.. Arkansas do have millions of Monarchy Butterflies.. I love to look at them and see how graceful they fly over grass and flowers.. so beautiful to look at.. it's TJ's favorite as well as mine. :)

Really I didn't know that. That's neat.

I do like to watch them outside my window sometimes because I've never seen so many at one time before.

LuciaDisturbed said:
Really I didn't know that. That's neat.

I do like to watch them outside my window sometimes because I've never seen so many at one time before.

Yeah.. Now you know.. :)

LuciaDisturbed said:
OMFG EW!!!! Those things are ugly! :shudders:

Here in Texas there are little baby monarchy butterflies EVERYWHERE, there are swarms of them! Our friend said it has something with the migration. :dunno:

Yeah! :lol:

The thing I don't like about them is they are LOUD! Not sure if you can appreciate that, but they "sing" (make a noise, sorta like... ...Sounds like ...tinnitus! :lol: --very loud and PERSISTENT!) Ugh!!!!!!

Back