Is There A Good Way To Respond As A Hearing Person When Someone Tells You They Are D/deaf?

Mieke

Belgian ASL noob
Reaction score
Reading around here and seeing reactions, I'm actually wondering if there is any possible way to reply to this news in a way that would be acceptable to all.

For a Deaf person, Born deaf, Ok cool, and just continue the conversation would work I guess.

But then again for a deaf person, who is deaf due to an illness or accident, hè exact same reaction would be considered as rude, in my opinion.

So please tell me, how should we react?

But I'm assuming that each of you, has their own view on what would be ok for you...

That there probably won't be a "one size fits all" answer, I've already understood.

This depend on why the person is telling you they're deaf , I personally hate to tell a person I am hoh . The person will starting yelling at me or
talk in a monotone voice ! UGH !

This depend on why the person is telling you they're deaf , I personally hate to tell a person I am hoh . The person will starting yelling at me or
talk in a monotone voice ! UGH !

Why, if they know, they can be more considerate when talking to you and you may not end up with them yelling at you. ...

Whatever you do don't say "I'll pray for you"......that'll earn you a throat punch.

Not exactly religious enough to answer that anyway, nobody that knows me would take that answer seriously

I personally would not want a hug from a complete stranger (that's just me) or a . at every turn. A smile is fine.

Just be yourself and adapt to whatever the d/Deaf is comfortable with. If you know you normally talk fast adjust and slow it down a little- just a little and don't for heaven's sake over enunciate. Offer pen and paper if there is a LOT of trouble. I was grateful when somebody suggested it in a crowded church when I was looking for something of mine.

Like you said, there isn't one right response that works for everyone.

For me the best response is "Ok...Do you want me to write it down?" or being more visual or something along the lines of asking for a communication preference.

Some late-deafened people have embraced their deafness and become Deaf people...so yeah Cool might be an Ok response. Some born deaf people don't see anything cool about being deaf so you can't assume that is the best response.

It is very individualize in what people find acceptable or rude.

I think simply Ok and then making an effort to communicate in a way that the deaf person prefers is appreciate.

I am late-deafened and I wouldn't find it rude for someone to say Cool - especially if the person signs and they are exciting to have an opportunity to practice.

I would so give you a hug DeafDucky, just for the fun of it :p

But I guess it all depends on the person.

I would so give you a hug DeafDucky, just for the fun of it :p

But I guess it all depends on the person.

LOL well once I get to know the person a bit more then a hug is..well ok. I don't mind hugs but sometimes the introvert in me is out playing (more often than not).

LOL well once I get to know the person a bit more then a hug is..well ok. I don't mind hugs but sometimes the introvert in me is out playing (more often than not).

Pfieuw, I wouldnt get beaten up :)

You don't strike me as an introvert...

Like you said, there isn't one right response that works for everyone.

For me the best response is "Ok...Do you want me to write it down?" or being more visual or something along the lines of asking for a communication preference.

Some late-deafened people have embraced their deafness and become Deaf people...so yeah Cool might be an Ok response. Some born deaf people don't see anything cool about being deaf so you can't assume that is the best response.

It is very individualize in what people find acceptable or rude.

I think simply Ok and then making an effort to communicate in a way that the deaf person prefers is appreciate.

I am late-deafened and I wouldn't find it rude for someone to say Cool - especially if the person signs and they are exciting to have an opportunity to practice.

Thanks, seems good advice :)

Why, if they know, they can be more considerate when talking to you and you may not end up with them yelling at you. ...
That never happen when I am on the phone and tell a person I am hoh and can't hear them . They start yelling at me or say , "I can hear you just fine !" WTF! How does that help me. It doesn't work the way you very often in where I live .

Have you tried telling them what they can do when you say that you're hoh.

I imagine them slowing down their talking speed would help and taking in the call in a less noisy room? If possible of course

Back