Is spanking on the kids belong kind of abuse?

Buck, Unfortunately I cannot comment on state law from 1975. I hadn't studied missouri state law then, I was only 3 years old.
Laws vary from state to state, but if the situation you described happened today, that doctor could be in alot of trouble. Doctors are one of the professions that are required by law to report the incidnet. Doctors, teachers, social workers, and cops. Thes groups of people are are legally obligated to report suspected child abuse. If the do not, they can be held criminally liable if they do nothing.

but that doesn't mean that all fundamentalist do it.
I know.......I said SOME fundies.
Oh, and OB.........I was commenting on Dr. Dobson's background.....not nessarily on Eve's choice of reading material. I do support some spanking, however Dr. Dobson does promote beating....(ie with an instrument)
Yes, Eve's way of interepreting Dobson's teachings may be OK, but other people........*shakes head sadly*

I know.......I said SOME fundies.
Oh, and OB.........I was commenting on Dr. Dobson's background.....not nessarily on Eve's choice of reading material. I do support some spanking, however Dr. Dobson does promote beating....(ie with an instrument)
Yes, Eve's way of interepreting Dobson's teachings may be OK, but other people........*shakes head sadly*

Yes that´s right. Each parents have different form of discipline how to work on their children. Yes I think the same as you about Dr. Dobson but I´m agree that it may be work on Eve, not us. I see no problem if anyone disagree with my view for use positive discipline book and focus my children´s feeling and behavior. It look like OB wants us follow Dr. Dobson because she knows Eve. Her described about Eve in her previous post sound that Eve is the best mother of all. Not just Eve, but every parents in any forum are also good parents as well. *shake my head*

Liebling It look like OB wants us follow Dr. Dobson because she knows Eve. Her described about Eve in her previous post sound that Eve is the best mother of all. Not just Eve said:
No, I don't want people to follow Dobson. I don't even know the man or what he's known for. He's some kind of religious person. That's all I know about him and all I care to know about him. People are free to think and do as they choose. I'm certainly not trying to tell people they have to follow Dobson's view.

But, yes I'm friends with Eve. However, this has nothing to with her. I just felt DD was being a bit harsh towards Eve, and said so. No harm, no foul.

I have nothing against Deafdyke. We've always gotten along. I just happen to disagree with her sometimes. No big deal.

Americans love to spanking on children's butt.

Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."
Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."
Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."
Prov 29:15: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

I was spanked growing up, as were my siblings, and I think we turned out alright. I don't believe all this that says your kid will be emotionally scarred or he'll be afraid of you, or he won't trust you, etc.

Proposal to ban spanking generates national buzz

SACRAMENTO - Assemblywoman Sally Lieber has tackled some controversial issues in her time, writing bills to raise the minimum wage and relieve prison overcrowding. Then she proposed a ban on spanking and sparked a real debate.

The Mountain View Democrat has surged to mini-celebrity status in the few days since the Times and other MediaNews outlets published a story on her idea to ban spanking of young children. The "Today" show, "Early Show," "Good Morning America," "Bill O'Reilly" -- all are clamoring for an interview with Lieber.

The 45-year-old lawmaker has succeeded in generating huge publicity for her cause -- and stirring a national conversation not only about child discipline but also about the role of government in general.

"I think we've hit upon an issue," Lieber said, in perhaps the understatement of the year.

The issue is simple: Lieber wants to make spanking children age 3 and younger a misdemeanor. Offenders could face as much as a year in jail or as much as a $1,000 fine, though first-time violators would probably only have to attend parenting classes.

Lieber has yet to introduce a bill, but the description of her idea in an article this week triggered a hailstorm of reaction -- most of it negative, some of it viciously personal. The story has elicited active online feedback and readers' comments. Some defended spanking; many others said the government has no business telling them how to raise their children.

"Unreal," "absurd" and "idiotic" were some of the gentler adjectives that readers used.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger fed the spanking frenzy Thursday when, responding to questions from the MediaNews Sacramento Bureau, he said he "got smacked about everything" as a child in Austria but has never hit his own children. Schwarzenegger had doubts about how a spanking ban would be enforced but said Lieber's idea seems well-intentioned.

On Friday afternoon, Lieber was holed up in her office in Mountain View after returning from an interview with CNN. A crew from "Good Morning America" was camped out in her lobby for hours, waiting to get her on camera. "I'm under siege," Lieber said, only half joking.

Much of the media coverage of her bill has been snide or dismissive -- with a decided "there go those California kooks again" tone. Still, Lieber said her proposal is getting the kind of public hearing she could have only dreamed of.

"The volume tells me this issue is very ingrained in society," she said. "People are very wedded to the ability to physically punish children, but almost across the board say they don't do it." Actually, dozens of readers defended the use of an occasional spank to keep children in line.

Barbara O'Connor, who studies the interplay of politics and the media, said Lieber may be misreading the tidal wave of reaction.

"It's the kind of bill that comes up in every session of the Legislature that feeds the perception that governmental representatives are clueless," said O'Connor, director of the Institute for Study of Politics and the Media at Sacramento State. "People don't want government telling them how to raise their family."

And it's the kind of story the media love, she said, because it's easy to explain and provokes a visceral response.

"It's something everyone has an opinion about," O'Connor said. "It's water cooler conversation."

Some reader comments have personally assailed the assemblywoman. Seizing on the fact that Lieber has a cat but no children, one person called her "the cat lady" and another a "spinster" who's ignorant about child rearing.

Lieber said she wasn't bothered by the insults. "I'd rather be called a few names," she said, "than know there are children out there being beaten who are defenseless."

And she has no intention of backing down, even though the issue has become all-consuming. Lieber said she began fielding media calls at 7 a.m. Friday, and her chief of staff said he was so busy answering the phone that he didn't have time to shower.

"In a sense I kind of feel like, 'Hey, is this the biggest issue we ought to be dealing with?'" Lieber said. "But then again, children of a very young age shouldn't be beaten, so this is a fundamental issue."

CALIFORNIA NO-SPANKING BILL: Bid to end discrimination against children

CALIFORNIA NO-SPANKING BILL: Bid to end discrimination against children

Parents still allow to spank children in Australia, but Teachers/strangers is forbid.

Yes, spank is HURT; it would not help the children to “wake up” and solve anything. I know what is this because I had been through with my first child & also my past, too what/how my parents did to me. I know what hurt alike because I received spanked by my parents and abused with emotional by my step dad.

I remember that my Dad spanked me a lot until I was 16 years old. I smacked my Dad’s face back and told him to not dare to hurt me ever again in the future and then said to him that no wonder why my brother beat him up. (I guess I watched how my Dad haven’t hurt my brother anymore since his last hit Dad back) It “awakes” my Dad up that I as woman can hit him back. My Grandma defended me from him and sat with him and let me go out to calm down. I was back home and found my Grandma waiting. She also sat to have a good talk with me, too and then Dad came to us and sat with me. We talked and talked then make up peaceful. Now you see why we do that because we don’t like what they did to hurt us. I felt it’s no punishment but HURT.

teenage children cannot have spank which is RIDICULOUS!!!
They're suppose to be little mature to understand what's wrong and right when give alternative punishment toward teenage.

If done lovingly and appropriately, it is NOT abuse, IMO.

If done lovingly and appropriately, it is NOT abuse, IMO.

..could be rephrased as: "If done lovingly and appropriately, whereas whips, sticks, etc., is used for those kinky fetish adults only." ;)

:whistle:
~RR

(also, I do believe in the form of appropriate spanking can do justice which can teach the morals of what's 'right and what's wrong')

rare report that child have become into sex fetish fit for punishment.

"oh yeah.. more more! whip my butt!"

oh snap!

If it wasn't for spanking, we wouldn't have great leader:

• Abraham Lincoln
• Martin Luther King

Thank to their parents! :)

Back