Is more speech therapy worth it?

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
CSign, worth it to whom? I'm glad I have speech ability, but just wait til your son gets a bit older and is STILL in speech. Speech for little kids can be fun.

But the fact of the matter is that NO amount of speech therapy is going to give your kid perfect speech.

Exactly DD! :ty:

@Csign - don't assume that I agree with you just because I choose not to respond yet again - my response was originally this: Since you have not personally experienced speech therapy - who are you to say, because how are you to know that it benefits the Dhh child or person? Speech therapy and the use of oral language only truly benefits the hearing receiver end of the conversation. How selfish is that? Speech therapy and the effort to maintain speech never ends. Some Dhh people may choose to try and get their speech as close to hearing people's speech and that is their choice but it is a never-ending battle as DD said.

Last edited:
CSign, you may accept him more then say a parent who exclusively pushes speech.....and I'm assuming he most likely still has issues, but the fact of the matter is that you're never going to get a deaf kid speaking like a broadcast journalist, even if you exclusively pursue speech only. I mean the SCHOOL suggested withdrawing speech services. They very rarely do that. it's good that he's still having fun in speech, but maybe that's bc he's still young or has a talented speech therapist....just don't overdo it, is all.

Wirelessly posted

Exactly DD! :ty:

@Csign - don't assume that I agree with you just because I choose not to respond yet again - my response was originally this: Since you have not personally experienced speech therapy - who are you to say, because how are you to know that it benefits the Dhh child or person? Speech therapy and the use of oral language only truly benefits the hearing receiver end of the conversation. How selfish is that? Speech therapy and the effort to maintain speech never ends. Some Dhh people may choose to try and get their speech as close to hearing people's speech and that is their choice but it is a never-ending battle as DD said.
Exactly. As I suggested before, try learning to speak French with earplugs on....that's what it's like to learn to speak English as a dhh kid.

Exactly. As I suggested before, try learning to speak French with earplugs on....that's what it's like to learn to speak English as a dhh kid.

Deafdyke- I am curious as to what your background is. This isn't an attack or anything. Just wondering what sort of hearing loss (conductive, SNHL) you have and if you grew up oral or with ASL.
I'm just curious.

Wirelessly posted
@Csign - don't assume that I agree with you just because I choose not to respond yet again - my response was originally this: Since you have not personally experienced speech therapy - who are you to say, because how are you to know that it benefits the Dhh child or person?

LOL. Okay Beclak. :)

CSign, you may accept him more then say a parent who exclusively pushes speech.....and I'm assuming he most likely still has issues, but the fact of the matter is that you're never going to get a deaf kid speaking like a broadcast journalist, even if you exclusively pursue speech only. I mean the SCHOOL suggested withdrawing speech services. They very rarely do that. it's good that he's still having fun in speech, but maybe that's bc he's still young or has a talented speech therapist....just don't overdo it, is all.

What exactly in my post implied that I was looking for input on my son and his services? Who are you to know or say how much I may or may not accept my son? Who the fu*k said they wanted their "deaf kid to speak like a broadcast journalist"??? This incessant fascination with "perfection" and "normal" and "wait till your kid is older" and "Clarke" etc. etc. etc. is just too much.

I haven't seen a single post from a single parent (with the exception of one pawn) ever write that they want their child to be "perfect" or "normal" or "fit in" or to have "perfect speech". All any good parent wants is for their child to be happy, content, to reach their potential, and to not allow people or society to place limitations on what they can or cannot do.

What exactly in my post implied that I was looking for input on my son and his services? Who are you to know or say how much I may or may not accept my son? Who the fu*k said they wanted their "deaf kid to speak like a broadcast journalist"??? This incessant fascination with "perfection" and "normal" and "wait till your kid is older" and "Clarke" etc. etc. etc. is just too much.

I haven't seen a single post from a single parent (with the exception of one pawn) ever write that they want their child to be "perfect" or "normal" or "fit in" or to have "perfect speech". All any good parent wants is for their child to be happy, content, to reach their potential, and to not allow people or society to place limitations on what they can or cannot do.

put her on ignore, simple as that.

by the way,

what do you mean " all any good parent" (that part)

Deafdyke- I am curious as to what your background is. This isn't an attack or anything. Just wondering what sort of hearing loss (conductive, SNHL) you have and if you grew up oral or with ASL.
I'm just curious.

I grew up oral. I also got to take French in high school. Learning how to make the sounds in French ( that we don't have in English) is exactly like learning to say the "th" blend or other sounds in speech therapy.

Not for me, nope. No matter how good my speech skills, I will never be a "hearing" person so why waste my time on something that wont bring me good opportunities anyway?

Up to you..only YOU can decide for yourself.

CSign, worth it to whom? I'm glad I have speech ability, but just wait til your son gets a bit older and is STILL in speech. Speech for little kids can be fun.
But the fact of the matter is that NO amount of speech therapy is going to give your kid perfect speech.

What is "perfect speech?"

What is "perfect speech?"

I was thinking right along the same lines, i often see that word thrown around on here 'perfect", usually in regards to hearing people.

My real question is, so what? So what if they never achieve "perfect" speech hell I gave a 50 something hearing man with a lisp a massage last week. Not even all "hearies" have perfect speech. But I don't think that's the goal, "perfect" speech, just clear(er). So since you'll never reach "perfection" you just shouldn't even bother with it? pfffft

I was thinking right along the same lines, i often see that word thrown around on here 'perfect", usually in regards to hearing people.

My real question is, so what? So what if they never achieve "perfect" speech hell I gave a 50 something hearing man with a lisp a massage last week. Not even all "hearies" have perfect speech. But I don't think that's the goal, "perfect" speech, just clear(er). So since you'll never reach "perfection" you just shouldn't even bother with it? pfffft

Exactly..... :thumb:

actually it is something what parents have high hopes of kids speaking clearly as well as a "perfect speech". It is about the "attitude."

Wirelessly posted

If 'perfect' speech is not what hearing parents are aiming for, then why is speech therapy a life-long endeavour instead of a obtainable short-term course which has a start and finish? If it was the aim to have only improvement in articulation and not perfect articulation, and since it is impossible for a Dhh child or adult to obtain perfect speech, then why bother at all?

Last edited:
actually it is something what parents have high hopes of kids speaking clearly as well as a "perfect speech". It is about the "attitude."
I have never heard parents of deaf children say that they expect perfect hearing or perfect speech from their child.

I have very often heard members here accuse those parents of deaf children with CI that this is what they are after... making these parents having to explain again and again how this is not so..
It's a little game.. Just throw in an unfounded accusation and wait for the reaction..

I have never heard parents of deaf children say that they expect perfect hearing or perfect speech from their child.

I have very often heard members here accuse those parents of deaf children with CI that this is what they are after... making these parents having to explain again and again how this is not so..
It's a little game.. Just throw in an unfounded accusation and wait for the reaction..

I am not playing games with you. I explained what DD means " perfect speech". Have you ever seeing me, " I AGREE WITH DD?" I do not think so. I understand what she is saying in her posts.

for you guys to know that in my own opinion and some experience, some parents don't have high hopes for their kids and let them be. Sure, some parents did have high hopes as I have witness other parents who are pushing their kids too hard many times. They told their kids, " i know but you have to keep practicing on speech clearly." They made me feel awkward when i was there. My friends told their parents, " don't do that in front of my friends, and we had already discussed over and over in signing and voicing". I was like, " im going to the other room and let you guys have private conversation." My friend said, " no you stays here and it will stop right here." in front of my friends mom. :shock: Of course some parents are different. I sure have high hopes for my kids to play great sports but i know they make their choices so i try not to push my kids. SAME DEAL. again, i am not playing with you all about the perfect speech.

Game is over. ok.

Cloggy, you have to learn not to blame when Deaf or HOH gives some examples when others asking " what does it mean or what is it" that they did not say " FOUR HORSES ARE LIKE THAT" no you read it WRONG. It is meant for the SOME FREAKING HEARING PARENTS OR HOH PARENTS OR ORAL DEAF PARENTS are like that. I would be SHOCKED if ASL USERS SAY THAT *THUD*.

For years my daughter's pull-out communication therapy was focused on ensuring her ASL was fluent, accurate, and she could effectively communicate with those around her. I see this as the equivalent of "speech therapy" others participate in during which a child is guided towards effective, accurate spoken language. I don't expect or hope for "perfect signing" just as I don't expect or hope for "perfect speech" or "perfect writing." I do hope and work for fluent and accurate grasp of languages that will enable her to communicate effectively without obstacles in any environment she chooses.

Doesn't matter if you are hearing or deaf, if you use poor grammar, spelling, pronunciation, or sign, people will focus on what they perceive as your ignorance rather than what you are trying to get across. And more important than what others think, your ability to communicate fully and effectively will be limited by your lack of fluency and accuracy. As a parent, it's my responsibility, one I love, to ensure my child has the mastery of language(s) she needs to overcome any communication limitations. When my daughter is older, it will be up to her to decide what's valuable to her.

For years my daughter's pull-out communication therapy was focused on ensuring her ASL was fluent, accurate, and she could effectively communicate with those around her. I see this as the equivalent of "speech therapy" others participate in during which a child is guided towards effective, accurate spoken language. I don't expect or hope for "perfect signing" just as I don't expect or hope for "perfect speech" or "perfect writing." I do hope and work for fluent and accurate grasp of languages that will enable her to communicate effectively without obstacles in any environment she chooses.

Doesn't matter if you are hearing or deaf, if you use poor grammar, spelling, pronunciation, or sign, people will focus on what they perceive as your ignorance rather than what you are trying to get across. And more important than what others think, your ability to communicate fully and effectively will be limited by your lack of fluency and accuracy. As a parent, it's my responsibility, one I love, to ensure my child has the mastery of language(s) she needs to overcome any communication limitations. When my daughter is older, it will be up to her to decide what's valuable to her.

That is a good one that needs to be created a new thread.

Acutally It is Hayden's thread. Hayden asked if she needs to go back to speech therapy again. Shes worried if she is losing her speech skill when she learns ASL. Therefore we give some feedback to her because some of us have been there. Of course, I am not the one who is giving her some feedback.

Hayden, I am sorry for hijacking your thread.

That is a good one that needs to be created a new thread.

Acutally It is Hayden's thread. Hayden asked if she needs to go back to speech therapy again. Shes worried if she is losing her speech skill when she learns ASL. Therefore we give some feedback to her because some of us have been there. Of course, I am not the one who is giving her some feedback.

Hayden, I am sorry for hijacking your thread.

I don't think the thread was hijacked. In fact, I think Grendel's post provided some good feedback. The name of the game is "mastery."I also thought your post#2 was good.

Back