Is it weird?

Reaction score
Is it weird and annoying that I watch TV with the captions on? My friends hate it and claim it gives them a headache.

I can totally get the being turned off, even my family is like that. But a headache? No.

Well, if it does it does, so I'd find new friends to watch TV with. My guy has no problem with it and we could not watch TV together w/o it. It is not weird that you need captions! I'd say these friends are deeply insensitive- they could simply suggest another activity instead of saying your use of captions is weird. Tell them how it makes you feel, even if it feels vulnerable. They will probably make you feel worse, but hey- you just learned something important and very limiting about how these people cope in relationships.

Hearies have told me many times that the captions are very distracting to them...finding themselves not being able to watch the movie and read captions at the same time...Luckily, I've not had any problems with my friends or family.

I've heard the same from hearing folks that captions are too distracting. I know in early years my family was like that. Now- my parents at least- they just leave the captions on all the time now even when I'm not here (as in moved away). Doesn't bother them anymore. My sister used to have the captions on all the time on her tv when both her kids were small- might have helped the middle niece with her learning (graduating this year from college and a near perfect 4 years on Dean's List- waiting on this last semester lol).

But headaches? No... maybe a little eye strain but not headaches good golly...! Not to say it's impossible.. I'm sure if they're straining too hard to ignore the captions....

I watch it all the time. English is my wife's second language. She's from Japan. It's not that bad once you get use to it. I usually leave them on when I'm watching documentaries anyways.

I watch it all the time. English is my wife's second language. She's from Japan. It's not that bad once you get use to it. I usually leave them on when I'm watching documentaries anyways.

It has been awhile but when captioning was just becoming more common as a feature I remember seeing many times the suggestion of using it that way for learning the additional language.

What about turning the sound off and leaving the captions on sometime when they are at your place to give them an example of how much more the captions let you understand.

Or start with both sound and captions off and then turn the captions on as the example of how much they help you.

Please tell your friend if you are not reading captions, you are going to be dumb anytime soon.

Some people at bar dislike captions because it does block / overlap the scoreboard and or fighting timer for example in ufc.

I've actually dropped friends who refuse to turn on closed captioning on their sets.

I've actually dropped friends who refuse to turn on closed captioning on their sets.
I would too. A tiny bit of inconvenience for them is nothing compared to how we NEED the captioning to understand anything at all.

I would too. A tiny bit of inconvenience for them is nothing compared to how we NEED the captioning to understand anything at all.

Ditto- or at least spend a LOT less time there.

When I visited in WA some years ago- my friends were more than happy to let me have the captions on (they're all hearing lol). Unfortunately the first time I was there the way their system was set up it was hard to get the captions working right (kind of like right now with my new cable set top box- can't get the custom color/font captions through TW- I mean Spectrum- so have to use the TV's horrid white on black).

Ditto- or at least spend a LOT less time there.

When I visited in WA some years ago- my friends were more than happy to let me have the captions on (they're all hearing lol). Unfortunately the first time I was there the way their system was set up it was hard to get the captions working right (kind of like right now with my new cable set top box- can't get the custom color/font captions through TW- I mean Spectrum- so have to use the TV's horrid white on black).

That also shows the difference in people. I have never changed mine to anything different that white on black. In running through the different choices in OTA TV it was the white on black the seemed the best for me.

That also shows the difference in people. I have never changed mine to anything different that white on black. In running through the different choices in OTA TV it was the white on black the seemed the best for me.

Biggest reason why I prefer color (Netflix and Hulu are both green- I think Amazon is set to that too) is my vision. White is just...'bright' too bright and for some reason harder to read.

Now if I can get captions to allow for wider range of sizes I'd be happy. Netflix- the medium is sometimes tooo small and the large sometimes either way too big or too small to see...so have to fiddle with size AND font type!

When my hearing step daughter was 13 and she visited her friends for overnight stay. Few hour later she called her mom that she was very upset and want to go home. Her friends won't let her turn on CC. SHE rather to have CC on? Wow... Today I just moved to new office at different location. And there's a nice large kitchen/café with lounge area with large TV. So I asked someone who own the remote and they said that front security/receptionist has it. So I went and asked him if he doesn't mind to turned on the CC. Which he did and then I decided to see how long it last keeping the CC on. Surely enough...about hour and half later the CC was off. They don't like it.

Biggest reason why I prefer color (Netflix and Hulu are both green- I think Amazon is set to that too) is my vision. White is just...'bright' too bright and for some reason harder to read.

Now if I can get captions to allow for wider range of sizes I'd be happy. Netflix- the medium is sometimes tooo small and the large sometimes either way too big or too small to see...so have to fiddle with size AND font type!

I do not use Netflix but have found that without changing anything on my TV captions can really vary even for the same show on at different times on the same station. It makes me wish for the old analog captions from the earlier days when they were all the same size and generally larger. When I first started using them I did have to get used to sentences completely in capitals.

Back