Is it true that ADA made movie theaters to have CC a law?

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
I met a deaf brother and sister in disney, watching a show called Fanatasmic with the rear captioned window. I have to say, Disney does a better job providing closed captioning for the deaf than my school or any other movie theaters.

Anyways, I was talking to the deaf brother and sister (I didn't get their names..woops!) and they told me that ADA recently made a law that movie theaters must have CC, and if they say that they have CC available in the newspaper for a specific movie and then say no when you request them for it, you can complain to ADA and that they will give you free tickets to the movie along with the available captioning. I don't know if this is entirely true, because I haven't heard about this.

My friend who's deaf said he already know about this, but i was curious of why i am not informed about this. This is something i really was looking for because as everybody here on all deaf, we want to be able to go to movie theaters with CC. I just hate waiting for the DVD. I really want to see Breaking dawn part 2 with my mom and i just know for a fact that it will not have closed captioning because movie theaters refuses to buy the rear view captioning because of losing money. But they wouldn't be losing money since a ton of people goes to theaters to watch a movie. I don't know what they're worried about.

no, then maybe yes, but then again there's alway loopholes for those film makers....
obligations and under what condition, big budget? small budget , who makes the subs, who verify the subs as 'fit' for the SDH crowd??

each film cost about $200k to add closed caption. Now, I assume, probably cost bit more. However, someone mention, it's depend on how much film is make, to meet their required. If the film earn much lower, may not required to add CC.

each film cost about $200k to add closed caption. Now, I assume, probably cost bit more. However, someone mention, it's depend on how much film is make, to meet their required. If the film earn much lower, may not required to add CC.
They can use it as a tax write-off, can't they? If they can, I don't see the point why they worry about losing money.

For example, a doctor provides an interpreter for his/her deaf clients. It can be a tax write-off as a medical expense but I am not definitely sure.

They can use it as a tax write-off, can't they? If they can, I don't see the point why they worry about losing money.

For example, a doctor provides an interpreter for his/her deaf clients. It can be a tax write-off as a medical expense but I am not definitely sure.

Probably! The only thing i have heard from movie theaters about not using CC is that they don't want to waste a ton of money using CC in movie theaters, and that its not really worth it since deaf people don't always come to cinemas.

I have another question for you if you don't mind. Which one is the cheapest? OC, CV or RWC?

Probably! The only thing i have heard from movie theaters about not using CC is that they don't want to waste a ton of money using CC in movie theaters, and that its not really worth it since deaf people don't always come to cinemas.
I have no problem with local theaters in LA area. Do you know about Captionfish?

My guess is that if a local theater such as AMC, United Artists, Edwards, etc shows a captioned movie, they are required to show at least three different captioned movies during the same week.

Last edited:
I'm glad there are more ways to have CC in theaters now what with the new cc glasses and the cupholder individual display. :dance2: Maybe now theaters won't be just scheduling on low attendance nights like Tuesdays, LOL! :giggle: We gave up on our local theaters because that's what they would do. And we couldn't go to matinees as my husband didn't get off work until later afternoon, so we'd have to pay full price for a later show. This was in the days of only open captioning being an option and not all movies produced for theaters had that captioning, and not all theaters had the special projectors to display the open captioning. I gave up going to theaters at that time, and we just wait for the dvd to come out. Saves a lot of $$$ plus we can sit with our feet up & make our own popcorn. :popcorn:

I have no problem with local theaters in LA area. Do you know about Captionfish?

My guess is that if a local theater such as AMC, United Artists, Edwards, etc shows a captioned movie, they are required to show at least three different captioned movies during the same week.

I had captionfish, and i looked for movie theaters that had CC available. There were none in my area. I live in the dayton area. and Captionfish said that there was a CC movie theater available in the Xenia area.. too far!!

I'm glad there are more ways to have CC in theaters now what with the new cc glasses and the cupholder individual display. :dance2: Maybe now theaters won't be just scheduling on low attendance nights like Tuesdays, LOL! :giggle: We gave up on our local theaters because that's what they would do. And we couldn't go to matinees as my husband didn't get off work until later afternoon, so we'd have to pay full price for a later show. This was in the days of only open captioning being an option and not all movies produced for theaters had that captioning, and not all theaters had the special projectors to display the open captioning. I gave up going to theaters at that time, and we just wait for the dvd to come out. Saves a lot of $$$ plus we can sit with our feet up & make our own popcorn. :popcorn:

I think SONY access glasses is better - An infrared emitter broadcasts closed caption text into an auditorium which can be picked up by special eyewear.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT1fpd-vpgY]New Subtitle Glasses For Movie Goers - YouTube[/ame]

I think SONY access glasses is better - An infrared emitter broadcasts closed caption text into an auditorium which can be picked up by special eyewear.

New Subtitle Glasses For Movie Goers - YouTube

I found a captioned video regarding to those glasses. It shows the actual demo. Notice that when the glasses are shaken, the subtitles are shaken as well. In other words, you have to keep your head still so the subs will not get shaken.

BBC News - Cinema subtitle glasses give promise to deaf film fans

I wonder if my movie theater have those. Probably not, but how much is it?

Sony subtitle glasses are deployed by Q1 2013 at Regal theaters. It s so expensive. Sony subtitle glasses costs $1,400 to $1,500.

^Thats what they say, I put $20 on it that there isnt more than $250 in each pair (this price is solely on materials and labor and doesnt include a bogus mark up that they claim to the IRS and other gov't agencies).

I've used the subtitle glasses at a local Regal theater...they didnt seem that well made really and there was a lot of captioning missing (probably about 5% of The Avengers had no CC)

^Thats what they say, I put $20 on it that there isnt more than $250 in each pair (this price is solely on materials and labor and doesnt include a bogus mark up that they claim to the IRS and other gov't agencies).

I've used the subtitle glasses at a local Regal theater...they didnt seem that well made really and there was a lot of captioning missing (probably about 5% of The Avengers had no CC)

That sucks!

I checked with Captionfish for my local theaters. Alot of them have those glasses. I am disappointed since I prefer OC. Oh, fuck!

SONY Access Glasses? Poor vision? should be Google’s Goggles/Glasses!

Back