Is it possible to reverse hiatal hernia?

SilverRoxy

Deaf/ASL user
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a severe GERD and hiatal hernia. Surgery is not necessary for now. Is it possible to make hiatal hernia go away? I don't always trust doctors because they need to make money. I have a weird feeling that this can be resolved without medications.

Next time you can eat a large meal, and go ski on a bumpy downhill ride during the winter time, and downhill cycling during the summer time.

I work in medicine , but I'm not a doctor. Hiatal hernias do not go away on their own. They just get worse over time. Typically they require surgery. They are caused by a weakness in the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen. And that weakness allows your stomach to push up into your chest.

No medication can fix that. No amount of time will allow it to heal. You may learn to deal with it, but it won't heal on its own.

I work in medicine , but I'm not a doctor. Hiatal hernias do not go away on their own. They just get worse over time. Typically they require surgery. They are caused by a weakness in the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen. And that weakness allows your stomach to push up into your chest.

No medication can fix that. No amount of time will allow it to heal. You may learn to deal with it, but it won't heal on its own.
Lysander,
is is possible that strengthening those muscles might help slow down the problem? Not knowing which muscles are involved, nor whether they are subject to voluntary contraction, I cannot offer intelligent thoughts, though it seems so obvious people would have tried it well before now.

Lysander,
is is possible that strengthening those muscles might help slow down the problem? Not knowing which muscles are involved, nor whether they are subject to voluntary contraction, I cannot offer intelligent thoughts, though it seems so obvious people would have tried it well before now.
From what I understand, once you have one there's not really much to do about them. There are massages that you can do by pushing on the diaphragm to try and push it back down, but it will almost always come back up again. Some people say to drink water and jump up and down to try to pull the stomach back down below the diaphragm. They tend to work to give people some relief, but the only way to fix it permanently is with surgery.

I have a severe GERD and hiatal hernia. Surgery is not necessary for now. Is it possible to make hiatal hernia go away? I don't always trust doctors because they need to make money. I have a weird feeling that this can be resolved without medications.
Surgery will be the only fix. Sorry

I am sad about this. :tears: Thank you, everybody, for your responses.

I’m sorry to hear of your issues. :sad: I hope you are able to have a good end result out of all this, even if it has to be surgery. Please make sure you take care of yourself. :hug:

As a Deaf, retired RN who has severe Hiatal hernia and had surgery, no...it does not resolve itself without corrective surgery and or medication. Sorry.

As a Deaf, retired RN who has severe Hiatal hernia and had surgery, no...it does not resolve itself without corrective surgery and or medication. Sorry.
I have fewer stomach issues now because I am on gluten-free diet.

:grouphug:As long as you don't stand on your head or bend over you can get by, depends, mine's not to bad

Back