Is it okay for the (underage) teenagers have an abortion without parental knowledge?

Is it okay for the (underage) teenagers have an abortion without parental knowledge?

• Yes

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
While I'm against abortion on principle, I voted yes. Although the best case scenario involves talking to loving caring parents who would support you this is often an unrealistic situation. Many daughters would be at risk of violence within the family, especially at extremes such as honor killings and would be forced to leave or flee home.

If the risks were that monumental, the FDA would not have approved it to be available to 17 year olds. In fact, if you check the literature on the risks of Plan B are less than those for a 17 year old carrying a pregnancy to term and giving birth.

Eh. I am afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue. I'm just not comfortable with a teenager making this type of decision for herself. If something should go wrong, who's responsible?

Eh. I am afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue. I'm just not comfortable with a teenager making this type of decision for herself. If something should go wrong, who's responsible?

That's okay with me, but I'm not sure what your question is asking. I mean if the parents give permission for her to use Plan B and something goes wrong, who is responsible? Something going wrong is not dependent upon whether or not the 17 year old has parent's permission.

I find it odd that in several states, a girl can determine her own medical care without parental consent as young as 15, but at the age of 17 cannot purchase an OTC medication.

That's okay with me, but I'm not sure what your question is asking. I mean if the parents give permission for her to use Plan B and something goes wrong, who is responsible? Something going wrong is not dependent upon whether or not the 17 year old has parent's permission.

I find it odd that in several states, a girl can determine her own medical care without parental consent as young as 15, but at the age of 17 cannot purchase an OTC medication.

That's my question. WHO is responsible? If her parents were involved, they would be responsible if the girl suffered side effects or what-have-you. But, if the girl purchased the med at a drug store, took it, and became ill for whatever reason (however rare that may be), who's responsible? Her parents? Seems that there should be more communication between parents and child, and thats the best case scenerio.

To your second point, I agree! There should be greater uniformity in state laws and the age of consent.

Even birth control can have serious medical side effects.

I think if the teenager is pregnant, the custodial parent(s) of both the boy and girl should be charged with neglect.

THAT will stop a lot of teen pregnancies in a heartbeat

I dont agree that would solve the problems. It could make the problems a lot worse.

Even birth control can have serious medical side effects.

I think if the teenager is pregnant, the custodial parent(s) of both the boy and girl should be charged with neglect.

THAT will stop a lot of teen pregnancies in a heartbeat.

That would just CREATE issues by forcing a parent to be held legally responsible for the perfectly legal actions of their daughters.

but as long as it creates problems for only the parents of whores it's okay :roll:

What if the girl gets an infection or excessive bleeding from the abortion?

What if the girl has deep depression after the abortion?

Who will be responsible? How will the parents help her if they don't even know something is wrong?

Will the girl be able to get an abortion with NO adult taking legal and financial responsibility? Who will make sure she gets good medical care and emotional support?

How come minor girls can't get other medical procedures or medications without parental permission? Maybe there's a good reason that doctors don't treat minors without permission.

How does the abortion clinic know the girl's medical history? Kids don't always know their history, or don't tell the truth about it. That can be a fatal mistake.

How do the clinic people know that the girl is telling the truth about her parents?

Word. That is why I voted no.

Without parent knowledge...

- A older man could take a girl to clinic and he could lie to abortionist doctors about being her (girl's) parent. But, no rape crime is involved, just a random sex. Fortunately, it's an illegal.
- A man could get away with a crime if he rapes a girl and, later, found out the girl is pregnant and he could take her to abortion clinic to lie about being her parent.
- A older girl could get away with a crime if she is being pregnant by raping a young boy. She could make him to shut up.
- I can list it but I got enough.
Unfortunately, all above, it tends to cove up each story. :(

There is more risky than having a parent knowledge, I do not want any idiotic man can get away with a crime and my daughter without my parental knowledge!! :mad: NO ONE will finger on my girl, period!! :mad:

Last edited:
That's my question. WHO is responsible? If her parents were involved, they would be responsible if the girl suffered side effects or what-have-you. But, if the girl purchased the med at a drug store, took it, and became ill for whatever reason (however rare that may be), who's responsible? Her parents? Seems that there should be more communication between parents and child, and thats the best case scenerio.

To your second point, I agree! There should be greater uniformity in state laws and the age of consent.

Parents aren't held responsible when medical treatment encounters problems. A child could have an allergic reaction to OTC Tylenol. Unless the parent gave it to the child knowing they would go into anaphylaxis, they are not held responsible. The same with a cold medicine, Mydol, aspirin, allergy meds, and any prescription med. A 17 year old could purchase a condom and have an allergic reaction to the latex. Parents are not held responsible for that.

I agree that communication between parent and child is the ideal situation. Unfortunately, judging from the teen pregnancy rate and STD rate, it isn't happening often enough to make a huge difference.

the doctor who prescribed it would carry some of that responsibility

Not in the case of an unforeseen reaction. And the doctor doesn't have to prescribe Plan B. It can be purchased OTC with a picture ID showing age.

The question that says "Is it okay for the (underage) teenagers have an abortion without parental knowledge? " My answer is no. I would rather my teenage daughters let me know before having abortion. I believe it best for the parents to know about it then having a teenagers keeping secret in the dark. But I would never force my child to have abortion or give up her baby or keep it. I would rather discuss what to do with her baby and seee what happens. I know i am not big on abortion. But it also understandable that a teenager is not ready for such a very huge responbility to be a parents at such a young age and need to finish schooling. It alot of pressure for a teenager girls to carry that burdern around and emotionally as well. I would not want my child to be afraid to come to me to tell me what wrong so I can be there to help my child to figure out what we can do togehter. I love my child more than my own life.. :)

Back