Is it okay for the (underage) teenagers have an abortion without parental knowledge?

Is it okay for the (underage) teenagers have an abortion without parental knowledge?

• Yes

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
If a child is legally emancipated, then no one has custody. The child is set free, and is responsible for him or her self.

*goose bump* :cold:

Here in Germany and Europe countries accord law... NO. The children must have custody until they are 18 years old then free.

Running away is not the same as being kicked out. Two totally different situations.

Yes I know.

I only say that some children runaway because they fear to face of their parents reaction or some children are being kicked out after tell them the truth.

Are the parents charged?

If abuse and neglect. YES. This situation here is a different because the parent didn´t abuse or neglect them. All what they do is agree to give up their responsible for their minor children and give their minor children to Social Welfare as custody until 18 years old. They only finance the cost of their care until they are 18 years old.

Even families who aren't poor? Why?

Child Support Benefit belongs famliy policy accord link in my previous post. We all parents receive the equal child support benefit to develop our children´s future and better enivornment. It´s not just Germany but other EU countries as well.

The people who live at social assistance, get money from social department and plus child support benefit from famliy policy.

...and government dependence.

Thank government to take care of their people, good enivornment and country than depend taxes on war issues... We all have government in our country.. Right? It´s their job to take care of their people and country Right? We are free country and do what we wants but important that they improve to take care of people and country.

I voted No becuz I will always fear of my 2 precious girls health if abortion cause their suffer as painful or worse as death. If she go to clinic alone then who will take care of her and her painful? I know that abortion can cause infection, painful and very uncomfortable. Who will comfort the daughter? Who will take care of her? We do as Parent. We are supposed to protect and care daughter's life as everlasting.
We are responible as parent to teach sex but not only sex. Baby, HIV/STD, Furture and Money. What am I talking about Money? I will take one of girls to shopping for baby and let her think very hard how much money to spend baby's needs? Diaper, Baby Wipe, Clothes, Toys, and Baby Formula/Foods. Welfare and WIC don't always help and meet the child's needs. That's why it is very important to teach your daughter about abortion, adoption, baby, and sex before they are reach to pre-teen as 12. It's not school responbile or fault that they don't teach enough. It is US as Parent as job.

I voted no...I think most parents will be supportive of their daughters despite being angry or disappointed. Most teenagers would be afraid to tell their parents and sometimes their fears and immaturity impairs their judgement and make possible deadly mistakes. I feel by the parents knowing, there is an adult present to help make smart decisions.

Yes, there are families that probably wouldnt make smart decisions and make the situation even worse so it is a tough one.

I would hope my daughter wouldnt be afraid to tell me...but I hope she doesnt get pregnant while in her teens!

*goose bump* :cold:
Here in Germany and Europe countries accord law... NO. The children must have custody until they are 18 years old then free.
Well, the children can request it, and the courts can grant it.

One example:

Four children, the oldest is 17 years. Both their parents die in a car accident. They have no living grandparents or other close relatives. The four orphans will be split up to different foster families.

BUT the oldest child wants to keep the family together. If he is legally emancipated, he can become guardian of his siblings, and be eligible for head of household support.

He has to prove to the court that he is a responsible person, and that he has an organized plan for taking care of the kids. They have the family house that the parents bought, and they have life insurance from the parents' deaths.

That is one kind of situation where the court might allow emancipation because it actually keeps the family together.

Thank government to take care of their people, good enivornment and country than depend taxes on war issues... We all have government in our country.. Right? It´s their job to take care of their people and country Right? We are free country and do what we wants but important that they improve to take care of people and country.
This is what the U.S. Constitution states about the government's responsibility and limitations:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

This is another option for teens who don't have a good home life situation:

A Teenager's Guide to Emancipation​
April 2006​

What is emancipation?

"Emancipation" is a legal process that gives a teenager who is 16 or older legal independence from his or her parents or guardians. Emancipation can be an important legal tool for certain teenagers, but you should give it careful thought before moving ahead.

Who can be emancipated?

To be emancipated by the court under Connecticut law, you must be at least 16 years old. You must also meet one of the following conditions:

* You must be married, or
* You must be in the U.S. armed forces, or
* You must be living apart from your parents or guardian and be managing your own money, or
* The court must decide that an emancipation is in the best interests of you, or your parents, or your minor child (if you have one).

How do you become emancipated?

Either you or your parents can start the emancipation process. The person who starts the process files, or has a lawyer file, an "emancipation petition" with the court. If you need a lawyer to start this process or to defend yourself and you cannot afford one, the juvenile court may appoint one for you at no charge.

There will be a meeting (or hearing) in front of a judge to talk about the emancipation petition. Only the judge can order the emancipation.

What rights does an emancipated teenager have?

When you become emancipated, you have legal rights that other teenagers do not have. You also have new responsibilities that most teenagers do not have to worry about. You should weigh these rights and responsibilities carefully as you think about emancipation.

If you are emancipated:

* You may get your own place to live -- but you will be responsible for paying the rent and any other costs.
* You may get medical care without your parents' permission -- but you will have to pay the bills or arrange for financial help in paying them.
* You can sign contracts in your own name and are responsible for living up to the contract.
* You can sue other people, and you can also be sued by others.
* You are no longer under the control of your parents -- but they will also have no obligation to support you financially, or give you any food, clothing, or shelter. The State of Connecticut Department of Children and Families will no longer be responsible for helping you if you are abused or neglected. You are, however, entitled to the same protection by the police as any other person, including the right to be protected from violence by a family or household member.
* You may buy and sell property.
* You may get a driver's license or marriage license or join the armed services without your parents' permission.
* You may enroll in a school or college of your choice without asking your parents.

How can you decide?

Here are some things you might want to think about in deciding whether you really need to be emancipated.

Emancipation is a major decision that can help a mature teenager who is getting little help from his or her parents to live a more independent life. But emancipation can also cause hard feelings within a family. It is sometimes possible for a teenager to get the relief and help that he or she needs without taking this step.

For example:

* If you need some relief from family problems, you might be able to stay with a friend or in a youth shelter for awhile. Most youth shelters will need your parent's permission to let you stay overnight. Or, you may want to talk to a trusted counselor or teacher.
* If your parents made you leave home or they will not let you return, or if it would be dangerous for you to return, you may be eligible for financial help even if you are not emancipated. What you apply for depends on your situation:

1. If you are pregnant or have your child living with you and you live with an appropriate relative, apply for Temporary Family Assistance (TFA) from the Department of Social Services (DSS). Your relative must receive the check for you. Also, you will be sent to the DSS social worker for further help. The Department of Children and Families may be asked to help as well.

2. If you are pregnant or have your child living with you and you live with an adult who is not a relative, you will qualify for TFA assistance only if that adult is your legal guardian or applying for legal guardianship. You may also be eligible if you live in a supervised living arrangement, such as a group home. Only in very rare cases can a pregnant or parenting teen live on her own and get a TFA check herself.

3. If you are not pregnant and do not have a child living with you, and you are living with a relative, you may also be eligible for TFA. Again, your relative must receive the check for you.

Unemancipated minors who do not live with relatives and who do not live with other adults who are either their legal guardians, or trying to be legal guardians, are probably not eligible for any cash assistance. In short, if you are staying with your friend’s family for a while, but they do not want to be your legal guardian, you will probably not qualify for any sort of cash assistance.

If you are emancipated, you may qualify for State Administered General Assistance (SAGA). A SAGA payment is only $200 per month. Any other income you have will reduce this amount, dollar for dollar, except the first $150 you earn each month will not count in determining your SAGA award. You can apply for SAGA at your local DSS office.

4 NOTE: Many teenagers in these situations are eligible for ... medical insurance and food stamps, even if they do not qualify for cash assistance.

How will your parents react?

Even when you are having trouble with your parents, they may be concerned about you and want to help you. Going to court to be emancipated may be very hurtful to your parents. You should think about the effect of emancipation on you and your family. If possible, sit down and discuss the problems with them before you file the petition.

Sometimes it may not be possible to talk with your parents. You may have already left home. If you are not living at home, your parent could ask the police to find you. If the police find you, they can tell your parent where you are. Before they do that, the police must first make sure that telling your parent where you are wouldn't hurt you in some way. The police can also drive you home or to another place such as a another relative's home or to the Department of Children and Families. The police could also hold you for up to 12 hours while they decide what would be the best step to take. Finally the police can also report you to the Juvenile Court. At the Juvenile Court, a judge will decide if you are a runaway, truant from school, or beyond your parent's control. If the judge decides you are or have done one of these things, you might be ordered to go to school, get a job, get counseling, or give up driving a car for a while.

Can you support yourself?

Once you are emancipated, your parents no longer have to pay your bills. You will be responsible for rent, buying food, for medical bills, and buying clothing. If you have a baby, you will have to pay for the things the child needs. Until you turn 18 years old, you will nearly always be required to live with an adult to receive financial assistance from the government.

Even if you qualify for financial assistance, the money you get may not be enough to pay bills. If you have a job, think about whether your paycheck will cover all your costs.

Will you want to go back to your family?

Emancipation usually cannot be undone. Think carefully about whether you may want to go back to your family at some point, or whether you are really sure that you want to live on your own from now on. Are your problems with your family just temporary or do you want to make a permanent break with your parents? Once you are emancipated, your parents could still decide to take you back.

You may find it helpful to talk privately with a lawyer about emancipation. You can call ... Legal Services or apply for a lawyer at the nearest Juvenile Court.
A Teenager's Guide To Emancipation

Well, the children can request it, and the courts can grant it.

One example:

Four children, the oldest is 17 years. Both their parents die in a car accident. They have no living grandparents or other close relatives. The four orphans will be split up to different foster families.

BUT the oldest child wants to keep the family together. If he is legally emancipated, he can become guardian of his siblings, and be eligible for head of household support.

He has to prove to the court that he is a responsible person, and that he has an organized plan for taking care of the kids. They have the family house that the parents bought, and they have life insurance from the parents' deaths.

That is one kind of situation where the court might allow emancipation because it actually keeps the family together.

Yes you has a good point about this but it doesn´t relate my thread here. I know you only made a good example. I don´t know either German law have the same example. I will find out.

Thank you for provide a link of good information about Emancipation. It´s interesting because it´s new to me.

I rather if she did not tell me. I will have an ahead of time discussion with her about how I would feel. I will straight up and tell her how I feel about abortion and what she might feel if she had abortion (like depression) and that if she ever got pregnant, I would rather for her to keep it, or if she preferred, adoption. If she plans to have an abortion, I rather for her to not let me know about her pregnancy. The only time I will know about it if the situation is really bad, like her health is in danger. I am not paying for abortion either because it goes against my moral belief.

I would not disown her though. She has to disown me. If she want to live her life the way she wants that bad, then so be it.

Last edited:
FDA expands access to Plan B for 17-year-olds
Agency will allow drug to be sold over the counter to minors

WASHINGTON - Seventeen-year-olds will be able to buy the “morning-after” emergency contraceptive without a doctor’s prescription, a decision conservatives denounced as a blow to parental supervision of teens.

The Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday it was accepting rather than appealing a federal judge’s order that lifts Bush administration restrictions limiting over-the-counter sales of “Plan B” to women 18 and older.

Women’s groups said the FDA’s action was long overdue, since the agency’s own medical reviewers had initially recommended that the contraceptive be made available without any age restrictions.

U.S. District Judge Edward Korman ruled last month in a lawsuit filed in New York that President George W. Bush’s appointees let politics, not science, drive their decision to restrict over-the-counter access.

Korman ordered the FDA to let 17-year-olds get the birth control pills. He also directed the agency to evaluate whether all age restrictions should be lifted.

The FDA’s latest action does not mean that Plan B will be immediately available to 17-year-olds.The manufacturer must first submit a request.

“It’s a good indication that the agency will move expeditiously to ensure its policy on Plan B is based solely on science,” said Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights, which filed the lawsuit.

Conservatives said politics drove the decision.

“Parents should be furious at the FDA’s complete disregard of parental rights and the safety of minors,” said Wendy Wright, president of Concerned Women for America.

Plan B is emergency contraception that contains a high dose of birth control drugs and will not interfere with an established pregnancy. It works by preventing ovulation or fertilization. In medical terms, pregnancy begins when a fertilized egg attaches itself to the wall of the uterus.

If taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, it can reduce a woman’s chances of pregnancy by as much as 89 percent.

Critics of the contraceptive say Plan B is the equivalent of an abortion pill because it can prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus. Recent research suggests that’s possible but not likely.

The battle over access to Plan B has dragged on for the better part of a decade, through the terms of three FDA commissioners. Among many in the medical community, it came to symbolize the decline of science at the agency because top FDA managers refused to go along with the recommendations of scientific staff and outside advisers that the drug be made available with no age restrictions.

“The FDA got caught up in a saga, it got caught up in a drama,” said Susan Wood, who served as the agency’s top women’s health official and resigned in 2005 over delays in issuing a decision. “This issue served as a clear example of the agency being taken off track, and it highlighted the problems FDA was facing in many other areas.”

The treatment consists of two pills and sells for $35 to $60. Women must ask for Plan B at the pharmacy counter and show identification with their date of birth. The drug is made by a subsidiary of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, an Israeli company. It does not prevent sexually transmitted infections, such as HIV/AIDS.

Supporters of broader access argued that Plan B is safe and effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy and could help reduce the number of abortions.

Opponents, including prominent conservatives, counter that it would encourage promiscuity and might even become a tool for criminals running prostitution rings, as well as for sexual predators.

Early in the Bush administration, more than 60 organizations petitioned the FDA to allow sales without a prescription. But according to court documents, the issue quickly became politicized.

In 2003, a panel of outside advisers voted 23-4 to recommend over-the-counter sales without age restrictions. But top FDA officials told their subordinates that no approval could be issued at the time, and the decision would be made at a higher level. That’s considered highly unusual, since the FDA usually has the last word on drug decisions.

In his ruling, Korman said that FDA staffers were told the White House had been involved in the decision on Plan B. The government said in court papers that politics played no role.

In 2005, the Center for Reproductive Rights and other organizations sued in federal court to force an FDA decision.

The following year, the FDA allowed Plan B to be sold without a prescription to adults. But the controversy raged on over access for teens.

FDA expands access to Plan B for 17-year-olds - Health care- msnbc.com

What do you think of this?

FDA expands access to Plan B for 17-year-olds
Agency will allow drug to be sold over the counter to minors

WASHINGTON - Seventeen-year-olds will be able to buy the “morning-after” emergency contraceptive without a doctor’s prescription, a decision conservatives denounced as a blow to parental supervision of teens.

The Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday it was accepting rather than appealing a federal judge’s order that lifts Bush administration restrictions limiting over-the-counter sales of “Plan B” to women 18 and older.

Women’s groups said the FDA’s action was long overdue, since the agency’s own medical reviewers had initially recommended that the contraceptive be made available without any age restrictions.

U.S. District Judge Edward Korman ruled last month in a lawsuit filed in New York that President George W. Bush’s appointees let politics, not science, drive their decision to restrict over-the-counter access.

Korman ordered the FDA to let 17-year-olds get the birth control pills. He also directed the agency to evaluate whether all age restrictions should be lifted.

The FDA’s latest action does not mean that Plan B will be immediately available to 17-year-olds.The manufacturer must first submit a request.

“It’s a good indication that the agency will move expeditiously to ensure its policy on Plan B is based solely on science,” said Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights, which filed the lawsuit.

Conservatives said politics drove the decision.

“Parents should be furious at the FDA’s complete disregard of parental rights and the safety of minors,” said Wendy Wright, president of Concerned Women for America.

Plan B is emergency contraception that contains a high dose of birth control drugs and will not interfere with an established pregnancy. It works by preventing ovulation or fertilization. In medical terms, pregnancy begins when a fertilized egg attaches itself to the wall of the uterus.

If taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, it can reduce a woman’s chances of pregnancy by as much as 89 percent.

Critics of the contraceptive say Plan B is the equivalent of an abortion pill because it can prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus. Recent research suggests that’s possible but not likely.

The battle over access to Plan B has dragged on for the better part of a decade, through the terms of three FDA commissioners. Among many in the medical community, it came to symbolize the decline of science at the agency because top FDA managers refused to go along with the recommendations of scientific staff and outside advisers that the drug be made available with no age restrictions.

“The FDA got caught up in a saga, it got caught up in a drama,” said Susan Wood, who served as the agency’s top women’s health official and resigned in 2005 over delays in issuing a decision. “This issue served as a clear example of the agency being taken off track, and it highlighted the problems FDA was facing in many other areas.”

The treatment consists of two pills and sells for $35 to $60. Women must ask for Plan B at the pharmacy counter and show identification with their date of birth. The drug is made by a subsidiary of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, an Israeli company. It does not prevent sexually transmitted infections, such as HIV/AIDS.

Supporters of broader access argued that Plan B is safe and effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy and could help reduce the number of abortions.

Opponents, including prominent conservatives, counter that it would encourage promiscuity and might even become a tool for criminals running prostitution rings, as well as for sexual predators.

Early in the Bush administration, more than 60 organizations petitioned the FDA to allow sales without a prescription. But according to court documents, the issue quickly became politicized.

In 2003, a panel of outside advisers voted 23-4 to recommend over-the-counter sales without age restrictions. But top FDA officials told their subordinates that no approval could be issued at the time, and the decision would be made at a higher level. That’s considered highly unusual, since the FDA usually has the last word on drug decisions.

In his ruling, Korman said that FDA staffers were told the White House had been involved in the decision on Plan B. The government said in court papers that politics played no role.

In 2005, the Center for Reproductive Rights and other organizations sued in federal court to force an FDA decision.

The following year, the FDA allowed Plan B to be sold without a prescription to adults. But the controversy raged on over access for teens.

FDA expands access to Plan B for 17-year-olds - Health care- msnbc.com

What do you think of this?

Um, this belongs in a seperate thread. The Plan B contraceptive Pill (or Morning After Pill) is considered contraception. It's not the abortion pill. Thats a seperate medication altogether.

As for my thoughts on the original matter, I'm torn. On the one hand, I believe that women have the right to an abortion per Roe V. Wade. However, I'm uneasy about allowing underage girls to seek abortions without parental consent or judicial review. In my mind, abortions are medical procedures and as such, a parent or legal gaurdian has the right to be informed. In the situation in which the pregnant girl can't obtain parental consent, then the matter should be taken up for judicial review and the decision should be made by a judge.

No.... While I'm very against abortion but I rather have my daughter come to me and tell me that she wants abortion and help her go through it, give her my support instead of her going behind my back, not having any support from me.

I voted yes for the general population. There are some parents *cough* religious *cough* who will force their child to have the baby. It would NOT be okay with me though. I'd want my daughter to tell me about it. I would let her know that I would support her in any decision she makes and offer her advice.

Agreed, Daredevel. Those that are able to go to parents for support, assistance, and understanding in these cases most likely already have gone to them and are using birth control as a result. Those who can't go to their parents for the above need this option.

Um, this belongs in a seperate thread. The Plan B contraceptive Pill (or Morning After Pill) is considered contraception. It's not the abortion pill. Thats a seperate medication altogether.

Yes I know the article has nothing do with abortion issues but its about "without parental´s knowledge" because 17 years old is not legal age. It´s question either it´s okay for teenagers to receive BC, abortion or whatever without parental´s knowledge. I thought the article I posted relate this thread here.

Yes I know the article has nothing do with abortion issues but its about "without parental´s knowledge" because 17 years old is not legal age. It´s question either it´s okay for teenagers to receive BC, abortion or whatever without parental´s knowledge. I thought the article I posted relate this thread here.

Ah, OK. I understand now. :)

In any case, I would have to say no. Other people may disagree, but I strongly feel that if a teen is under the age of 18, a parent or gaurdian should be made aware of their child buying contraceptives. I know there are situations where it's not in the teen's best interest to inform the parents of such, but I don't think they should be left to make that decision on their own.

Just my two cents.

Agreed, Daredevel. Those that are able to go to parents for support, assistance, and understanding in these cases most likely already have gone to them and are using birth control as a result. Those who can't go to their parents for the above need this option.

I understand where you are coming from, but I am leery about a 17 yrs old being able to fully understand the risks involved with taking Plan B. In a perfect world, I would hope that the parents would be involved, but if that can't happen, I would hope that some other adult would be advising the teen on the risks of this product.

Even if you're dealing with a very mature 17 yrs old, they may not have enough knowledge to ask the right questions. Maybe I've been around medicine too long, but I feel strongly that someone other than the teenager needs to be involved in helping the teen decide if taking Plan B is good for them or not. This also goes for abortions as well. I am pro-choice, but since abortion is a medical or surgical procedure, I would hope the teen isn't making the decision to abort all by herself.

Take abortion without tell parents will cost their trust. Kids have to think hard before do without parents. So, it would be best for doctor to receive an approve by parents that thing would be legal.

Even birth control can have serious medical side effects.

I think if the teenager is pregnant, the custodial parent(s) of both the boy and girl should be charged with neglect.

THAT will stop a lot of teen pregnancies in a heartbeat.

Even birth control can have serious medical side effects.

I think if the teenager is pregnant, the custodial parent(s) of both the boy and girl should be charged with neglect.

THAT will stop a lot of teen pregnancies in a heartbeat.

That's extreme and it would destroy a lot of families that way.

I understand where you are coming from, but I am leery about a 17 yrs old being able to fully understand the risks involved with taking Plan B. In a perfect world, I would hope that the parents would be involved, but if that can't happen, I would hope that some other adult would be advising the teen on the risks of this product.

Even if you're dealing with a very mature 17 yrs old, they may not have enough knowledge to ask the right questions. Maybe I've been around medicine too long, but I feel strongly that someone other than the teenager needs to be involved in helping the teen decide if taking Plan B is good for them or not. This also goes for abortions as well. I am pro-choice, but since abortion is a medical or surgical procedure, I would hope the teen isn't making the decision to abort all by herself.

If the risks were that monumental, the FDA would not have approved it to be available to 17 year olds. In fact, if you check the literature on the risks of Plan B are less than those for a 17 year old carrying a pregnancy to term and giving birth.

Back