Is deafness a "handicap?"

Are you people serious?

hand·i·capped
   [han-dee-kapt] Show IPA
adjective
physically or mentally disabled.
(of a contestant) marked by, being under, or having a handicap: a handicapped player.

If you are deaf, you are handicapped according to any English dictionary. You are handicapped regardless of whether or not you like the phrase, just like I would still be caucasian if I decided to find the word caucasian offensive. That's not a vicious label meant to hurt you. Specific circumstances that someone faces in life cause them to be adequately described by the contemporary manifestation of some archaic latin root word. So what? People categorize things with words because it's the only way to have context within a written/spoken language.

Political correctness is killing our freedom of speech.

Are you people serious?

hand·i·capped
   [han-dee-kapt] Show IPA
adjective
(of a contestant) marked by, being under, or having a handicap: a handicapped player.

If you are deaf, you are handicapped according to any English dictionary. You are handicapped regardless of whether or not you like the phrase, just like I would still be caucasian if I decided to find the word caucasian offensive. That's not a vicious label meant to hurt you. Specific circumstances that someone faces in life cause them to be adequately described by the contemporary manifestation of some archaic latin root word. So what? People categorize things with words because it's the only way to have context within a written/spoken language.

Nice first post. Do you have anything to contribute to this site other than stating the obvious?

The hypothesis that "deaf/Deaf/DEAF" person has "sinned" is without any basis in any theological system. Definition: ""Sin" a free choice to "break commandments". Ergo: what commandment has any person broken by their "deaf condition"?
Hopefully the above "avoids specific religious discussion".

My only "handicap" is society's "caveman" attitudes towards us, and anyone else with a disability.

My feeling is, sure it's a handicap, but as handicaps go, it's a manageable one. I need technology, like hearing aids, closed captions, light flashers on my smoke alarms in addition to the sounds, a vibrating alarm clock instead of a chiming one, etc,, but none of that stops me from participating in most things I want to do.

Think of a "handicap" in golf. If you're not a perfect golfer, you get a "handicap" of some number to make the competition equal. That's kind of how I think of all the stuff I rely on - makes the competition more equal, sure doesn't stop me from "playing the game."

My user name has suggested one should always have a "positive attitude" towards your best friend: yourself.

Are you people serious?

hand·i·capped
   [han-dee-kapt] Show IPA
adjective

No, you missed the point. It did say, "to subject to a disadvantageous handicap, as a competitor of recognized superiority", and it has many strong negative sentences than the word's, "disability", explanation.

It is shame that you are okay to dismissively degrade people with disabilities by using a such language. It is no different to call DS people "retards" or "fucktards". You clearly don't give a damn, so whatever. :roll:

What if their attitude is positive?

No. There is no such positive attitude.

If you are deaf and you tell everyone you're handicapped,then yes, you are. You said you were handicapped so therefore you are.

I'm deaf and not handicapped because I said I was not.

You're what you think you are.

I have a friend who keeps saying that I'm handicapped and I constantly correct him that I feel it's a derogatory term. I'm not handicapped to require a blue parking permit. At the best, I'd call myself disabled because I'm simply not able to hear although I still don't quite like the term. I feel that there's a huge difference between "handicap" and "disability" and no one uses handicapped anymore nowadays.

I've been trying to educate him that deafness is a minor disability, that I can still do whatever I want, it's just a bit harder. He's the type who asks really stupid questions like "Do you get a headache? How do you drive? Does your ears ring? etc" I feel that he asks these same questions every other 3 months so it gets really annoying trying to make him understand. We've been best friends for two years now, but I'm now at the point where I can't take it anymore with him. He should have known all the answers by now. I swear he has the IQ of a snail. He's still very set on calling me handicapped and I find it to be offensive.

What do you consider your deafness to be? A handicap? A disability? What? :hmm:

I have a hearing best friend of 12 years and she does not know any sign language. Last week, I told her that how much I love my cats purring, and she said no way that I can hear cats purring. I was like, I have 4 other senses, remember? Touch, smell, taste, and see. She said ohh but it is almost impossible to feel cats' purring as if its very quiet. I told her yes I can feel if it's very low purring. I also told her did you know that cats have two vocal cords? That explains why there is not only one sound tone of meows but many different tone of meows. She was so surprised...lol.

I do not think that your deafness is a handicap or disability, as it does not limit your ability to accomplish what you set out to do. I read a quote once "it isn't the ears that matter, it is what is between them that counts." --i forget who the quote is by. I do know your friend, however, is handicap or disabled because he is dis-able to understand your deafness and he should educated himself on the rich culture of the Deaf. Really? How do you drive? Deaf are safer drivers then us hearing. That is the question of an uneducated fool. Even people without arms and legs can drive...duh. All it takes is some adaptations.

I have a hearing best friend of 12 years and she does not know any sign language. Last week, I told her that how much I love my cats purring, and she said no way that I can hear cats purring. I was like, I have 4 other senses, remember? Touch, smell, taste, and see. She said ohh but it is almost impossible to feel cats' purring as if its very quiet. I told her yes I can feel if it's very low purring. I also told her did you know that cats have two vocal cords? That explains why there is not only one sound tone of meows but many different tone of meows. She was so surprised...lol.

Guess she's never held a contented cat. I can certainly feel my cats' purrs. And with my HA's, I can hear them too.

As someone who is hearing, it kills me to see you all say how you feel the hearing community treats you.
But I can't blame you. I know so many people who say deafness is a handicap and that "isn't there a way to get it fixed?" when in my eyes being deaf doesn't make you broken.

I hope that students like me trying to learn about your culture rather than change you can help you all to see this :)

Old thread but bumping it up :laugh2:

I don't consider deafness a handicap. A minor disability yes because we're not able to hear or hear well and it does affect our lives and some of us need accommodations. But handicap? No! :roll:

Yep!....old Thread...and it's 2015...almost 2016!....and last week...I went to get some clothes out of the Dryer. Parked my car right in front of the laundrymat (complex office) next door....That's OK!....

I'm elderly and have balance issues off and on, but don't require a Handicap Placard....Office lady came out and said..."You can't park there...you need to park in the Handicap space"....I said..."No, I'm not handicapped, and no Placard either"....She said..."You're not Handicapped? I thought you were Deaf and read lips".....

So I educated her about "Handicap"...and she was fuming!....I also told her...
I park my car there for 1 or 2 minutes...because I have to carry a basket of laundry to my car....and I don't want to fall....After all...I'm 69 years old!....So, YES, I still will park my car there, regardless.

I have to belive that people just don't think about what they are saying. I mean she couldn't have thought that through. :lol:

I have to belive that people just don't think about what they are saying. I mean she couldn't have thought that through. :lol:

I know how does being deaf effect you being able to walk ??? When I lived in Ca. I walked everywhere and when I lived in Northern Ca. I would walk 5 miles or more carry a duffel bag over my shoulder and though nothing of it.

My own sister asked me if I need a placard when I drive. I told her two very good points 1. I dont drive because of anxiety, and 2. She is 100% blind in one eye and doesn't need one....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back