Is "Deafie" a Deaf-Only Word?

I use it, and I am a hearie. I have never intended it to be insulting or degrading, but just a simplified way to identify. I have also been referred to as a "hearie". I don't find that term to be insulting, as long as it isn't prefaced with the word "nasty".:lol:

I've used the term "Deafies" here on several occasions.. i don't recall any deaf people calling me out on it. If they did, I would most assuredly refrain from using it.

Same here. I mean not to insult anyone so if someone is insulted I want them to let me know so I can refrain from using the terminology.

I would never use the term "deafie" around hearing people who were unfamiliar with Deaf culture. I don't think it's well enough known for it not to sound like a kind of insult and the hearing world doesn't need more ammo.

I've talked about "deafies and hearies" with people in the deaf community, but only on a very casual level, like when I feel it's too formal and silly to say "I am a hearing person" and just say "I'm a hearie" instead.

at my school my friends are fine with it.also the word heafie
is use which means a hearing person that wants to be deaf.
I always calls myself that.the sign we use is like the
sign of the word hearing but, we do it up top by the forehead.

at my school my friends are fine with it.also the word heafie
is use which means a hearing person that wants to be deaf.
I always calls myself that.the sign we use is like the
sign of the word hearing but, we do it up top by the forehead.

"Heafie" Means a deaf person who thinks like hearing. It is a major insult.

Yup, and the sign she described is "hearing think" and it is also a major insult.

*nodding in agreement* this was one of the first signs my sign language instructor taught me so i would always know whether a member of my local deaf community used the sign about me (no one ever did).

It is 2022,
Someone sent me to this link.
I am an ASL interpreter.
In an agency contract, the Hearing person wrote DEAFIE. I was immediately taken aback.
I felt violated.
Should this word be used in a legal contract?

I would like to hear from my Deaf family.

Other interpreters said no. They said, it is similar to us interpreters calling ourselves TERPS BUT the agency would never call us TERPS in a printed document.

Back