Irma - reba

dogmom

Reaction score
anyone know she's ok? Isn't she in Charleston <just saw on news "Flood Emergency" for there>

She's been posting. Looks like her last posts were around 5:15 pm eastern

Thank you, I am well. Heavy wind and rain here but no flooding on our street. Just a lot of limbs and foliage on the ground. One neighbor had a tree fall on his privacy fence. We lost cable very briefly and never lost electricity, although other areas did.

Beach areas are flooded. Downtown Charleston got flooded badly. :(

Our county is under tropical storm warning and will not lifted until tomorrow when Irma passes to North Alabama.

There were awful rain and wind, also I'm concerned about our trees get ripped out because trees are our great shade and hate to grow with new tree again, along with repair the damaged fence or part of house.

Hopefully, our power and cable aren't going out, but back in 2004, Ivan caused outage with power and cable for 5 hours.

Glad you're safe, Reba. I hope Rockin Robin checks in soon. She's near Jacksonville.

:ty:LoveBlue... and good to see you, Reba - appreciate the update and the links! I forgot that RR was in FL <:ty:for reminding me, AC> actually so I also hope she checks in too! Foxrac stay safe too! Did you get any damage from the trees?

Glad you are safe. Boy the Carolinas keep getting hit with these hurricanes!

This should had never happen ! I was very concerned about the elderlies people in nursing homes etc and the power should had be restored at all nursing homes and hospitals before anything else . :mad:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/health/florida-nursing-home-deaths/index.html
Nursing homes get priority but if they're located in an area where all the power is out, the whole area has to be restored first. Power can't be restored to individual buildings; all the connecting main lines have to be fixed first, which can include replacing poles and lines.

"There are 683 nursing homes in Florida with over 84,000 beds, according to the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration, which licenses and regulates these facilities. In addition, there are more than 3,100 assisted living facilities with over 99,000 beds."

That's almost 4,000 facilities that would need priority.

It's really up to the nursing home to have an emergency plan in place. It's up to the patient and family to make sure the home has that plan, and check out the details of it.

Nursing homes get priority but if they're located in an area where all the power is out, the whole area has to be restored first. Power can't be restored to individual buildings; all the connecting main lines have to be fixed first, which can include replacing poles and lines.

"There are 683 nursing homes in Florida with over 84,000 beds, according to the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration, which licenses and regulates these facilities. In addition, there are more than 3,100 assisted living facilities with over 99,000 beds."

It's really up to the nursing home to have an emergency plan in place. It's up to the patient and family to make sure the home has that plan, and check out the details of it.

That's true. The quality varies according to income of the family, but overall the readiness of the homes are impressive.

:ty:LoveBlue... and good to see you, Reba - appreciate the update and the links! I forgot that RR was in FL <:ty:for reminding me, AC> actually so I also hope she checks in too! Foxrac stay safe too! Did you get any damage from the trees?

I'm safe and there is no damage, also wind turned to be lower than we expected because Irma got weaken to tropical depression when they went on way to Alabama.

This should had never happen ! I was very concerned about the elderlies people in nursing homes etc and the power should had be restored at all nursing homes and hospitals before anything else . :mad:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/health/florida-nursing-home-deaths/index.html

Like Reba said, it is owner of nursing home's responsibility to provide a generator or mandatory evacuation for all patients, so you can't expect about everything went too fast because power take more time to restore. It is actually owner's fault, not power companies, so owner should start to planning with evacuation when hurricane hits.

Good to hear your safe. I have a couple of friends without power in Florida. I have one friend who evacuated. I keep updates on Fb with them. They posted videos strong winds and heavy rain pour.

I did hear today, but not sure if it's factual...that if you are elderly/disabled and without power for more than 5 days, then the Red Cross will put you up in a hotel/motel...(here in Florida).

Agreed...some people just like to whine and whine....

Back