Iphone: more deaf/hoh friendly than other phones?

RBDShadow

Reaction score

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble trying to figure out whether I should get an I phone because it seems more deaf/hoh friendly, and that's really nice to have so I won't have to struggle trying figure out what the other person is saying on the phone. I'm hoh by the way, but I can hear fine on the phone but I just can't make out the words that the other person is saying. Also if I do get the iphone I would have to switch companies because I have u.s cellular, I just wanna see the period and cons to see if its worth to switch companies.

So I thought I would just get some feedback from people, good Or bad.

Thanks!

E

My girlfriend has tried to get me to go for iphone. I passed on it. Don't know if they're more deaf friendly. Be sure to check apps. Many of apps costs $$ on iphone, but are otherwise free on android.

If you do go 4 iphone, try Sprint or AT T. They're cheaper on wallet per month. Sprint and AT T have good coverage in Chicago area.

I regret going with Verizon. Too much $$.

Do you use captel? If so, you'll want to go with a carrier that allows you to use voice and data at the same time. Last I checked not all of them do, but maybe that has changed recently.

We might be a little biased since our service is on the iPhone, but a combination of Sprint/iPhone seems to be the most Deaf/Hard of hearing Friendly

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble trying to figure out whether I should get an I phone because it seems more deaf/hoh friendly, and that's really nice to have so I won't have to struggle trying figure out what the other person is saying on the phone. I'm hoh by the way, but I can hear fine on the phone but I just can't make out the words that the other person is saying. Also if I do get the iphone I would have to switch companies because I have u.s cellular, I just wanna see the period and cons to see if its worth to switch companies.

So I thought I would just get some feedback from people, good Or bad.

Thanks!

E

My hearing is a bit worse than yours in that with my hearing aid I can tell that someone is there but not make out any words.

Where I live the iPhone would not work for what I want to do. The dominate carrier here is Verizon and they have a lot of 3G but 4G is just being deployed. Also, I don’t want to pay Verizon’s rates; thus using one of their MVNOs (Page Plus). Page Plus ONLY offers 3G service anywhere but using Verizon towers.

What does work for me is Wireless CapTel by Sprint. This app can be used on any Android who’s operating system is 2.2 or higher and in an area with at least 3G service . You do not have to be on Sprint. As noted above I am on PagePlus. The phone I am using is the Motorola Droid Pro. In order to know when someone stops talking when they answer (but the full captions have not yet come in) I use a neckloop the includes a mike. That way I can say something quick enough to keep them from hanging up do to silence from my end.

Please see Wireless CapTel Frequently Asked Questions | Sprint CapTel for much more information than I could give here.

Also, since you don't say what phone you are currently using and what level service your current carrier provides in your location we can't tell if there is a possibility that all you would have to do to try this is to download and register the app.

Doesn't the iphone have the feature that cuts back on background sounds? No other phone I know of does that

Back