Introducing myself

rebeccalj

Reaction score
I just saw this forum. <blushing>:wave:

I apologize for not introducing myself earlier. It's likely considered rude to just jump in and post a topic. I'll remember my manners next time.

I was born and raised on beautiful Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada. No, I don't live in an igloo. :dunno:

I was born Deaf. Some will have read in another thread that I was left at the hospital because of it but my Mum *did* take me back just before I was one year. I do have some hearing now but it's all mumble jumble. I tried hearing aides, about 10 years ago, but life was too loud for me after having lived it in near silence so I rarely ever use them unless I have an important meeting.

While I learned sign, pre-five, I wasn't allowed to use it once my Mum sent me to mainstream school so I read lips very well, body language, facial expressions and I taught myself how to speak/annunciate because my Mum didn't want me to talk since I sounded funny. She was never going to win Mother of the Year. :giggle: I literally spent hours and hours in front of a mirror in the bathroom, each day after school, teaching myself how to say words. Over and over. Putting my hand on my throat to feel and sense volume.

I do talk rather well but with what most consider a British accent though I've never even been to that country. :giggle:

Only family and close friends know that I'm Deaf. Co-workers also know because I've felt a little more secure about it in the last year or so to tell them what I need to be able to communicate with them. *THAT* was hard to do. It's been something of an embarrassment to me because of how my Mum made me feel about it. No more! I am who I am. Flaws and all. Imperfections and all.

I am so, so glad that I found this forum. I lurked for some time to get a feel for the membership. I've never been involved in the Deaf community like this. The few times I encountered Deaf people online I couldn't understand their written word. I'm learning about that here, too, as to why it was so different. :hug:

I hope you'll be patient with my ignorance of my own community. Had I been raised with other people like me I wouldn't have felt so embarrassed, or somehow less of a person, to involve myself. It kind of makes me angry that I wasn't allowed to embrace the unique person that I am and to embrace others like me.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca a fellow Canadian. You may seen a few of my comments as I joined in July/10. I live a few kilometers down the road from you in a small town called Toronto Ontario. Yeah- no igloos here in Toronto- either! Our "hearing/deaf" journey-so far- are dissimilar. If you can access the library check out- Beverly Biderman's Wired for Sound- a journey into hearing Trifolium Books, Toronto Ontario 1998. Her early life parallels yours-somewhat. She was "deaf "and didn't use ASL for reasons mentioned in the book. I became bilateral deaf only 4 years ago.
Hope you find this forum interesting with the obvious wide ranging opinions articulated.
As my user name has mentioned many times-no one can change the past-only how one currently reacts. Sometimes it is tough-to effect desired change-now!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Don't pay much attention to drphil. Just be yourself. I had been to Vancouver, BC near where there was a mountain for downhill skiing. I love the snow there. We had a Deaf Skiers Club from Seattle Central Community College (Seattle, Washington) and we were really good bunch of us loving the downhill skiing. It was about 35 years ago.

Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!! :wave:

Hello. I am surprised someone thinks you live in an igloo. Someone I know told me it is a beautiful place full of tie dye. :hmm:

I plan to visit Seattle, Vancouver BC in Summer 2011.

Welcome to alldeaf!

Hello. I am surprised someone thinks you live in an igloo. Someone I know told me it is a beautiful place full of tie dye. :hmm:

Hahaha! Yes, there have been people down South, in America, that think we live in igloos up here.

Yes, we have lots of, how do you say, granolas (ie: new generation hippies) and there is a lot of smoking of what we call, "BC cigarettes." :giggle:

Thank you all for the welcome. It's *so* strange, but exciting, to be reading from so, so many people that I can relate to. Finally! I have only actively participated on a hearie sports forum, plus my own private forum, so I've only been around hearies online. Sometimes my bluntness, okay, lots of times my bluntness, offends them. I am better understanding now why that is.

While you don't know me very well, yet, I can tell you that after reading so many of the threads on here, to learn more about our community, and the members, that I feel like I belong somewhere. I don't feel like an outcast. It's hard to explain but thank you.

Welcome Rebeccalj.. Your story is amazing....I have to tell you I hope you have forgiven your mom for leaving you in the hospital because you were deaf... My mom left me in the hospital and I was perfectly normal baby....lol...her sister had to go and get me..
smile...I was born in Norway and the man that was my father was in US...he wasn't crazy about me being a girl...so mom left me. She finally came to her senses after a family meeting and she and I were off to USA...I forgave her...smile

Welcome Rebeccalj.. Your story is amazing....I have to tell you I hope you have forgiven your mom for leaving you in the hospital because you were deaf... My mom left me in the hospital and I was perfectly normal baby....lol...her sister had to go and get me..
smile...I was born in Norway and the man that was my father was in US...he wasn't crazy about me being a girl...so mom left me. She finally came to her senses after a family meeting and she and I were off to USA...I forgave her...smile

Forgiveness is an interesting challenge. Yes, there was a moment where I finally felt that I forgave her but she made the continued forgiveness difficult until her death; and even afterwards (ie: her will).

The best day of my life was the day I found out that she died. It probably sounds horrible but it meant no more verbal torture at her hands.

HI REBECCAL J!! ur story is so sad but so important 4 people to remember that deaf people as well others w/ disabilities have feelings too and want to fit in with the world. Im glad u are coming along w/ coming out of ur shell and finding other deaf people 2 talk n bonding w/ may God continue 2 Bless U N STAY STRONG!!!:)

HELLO EVERY1!! I jus join the sight n I am soooo glad as well as excited about joining. I am try n 2 get back in college 2 persue my passion n get my degree in D.I.S(deaf interpretive services) I LOVE asl n I think its just soooo interesting n beautiful. I would LOVE 2 be an interpreter xoxoxo ;)

Back