Interview with a Deaf person.

MattMLeonard

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. My name is Matt. I am taking a Deaf Cultures class at Columbia College Chicago and was asked to Interview a Deaf Person. I am supposed to do this Interview in person but because of my busy schedule I am not able to. I was asking people to do a 15 minute Skype Interview with me and I did not get any takers.

If anyone would be willing to answer the following questions I would be immensely grateful. I appreciate any help that anyone is willing to give. Thank You.

If you feel uncomfortable answering these questions in a public forum my email address is Matthew.Leonard@loop.colum.edu once again thank you for your help.

Questions

1. What was it like communicating with your family? Were your parents Deaf, HOH, or Hearing? Did this make communication easier or harder?

2. What is your preferred method of communication? IE Email, Text Message, Face to face etc...

3. What is your educational background?

4. When was the first time that you used ASL? Did your family learn it with you?

5. What are your ties to the Deaf community? Are you involved or not?

6. At your everyday job are there communication issues because of having to use ASL?

7. Has there ever been a time that you were treated negatively because you are Deaf?

8. What would you like to tell me about yourself?

Thank You for your time in answering these questions if you did. Please only respond if you are willing to answer the questions. If you would like to do a 15 minute Interview via Skype or some other method that would be great. I do not have any ASL experience how would we go about doing that? Is there a service out there that provides Interpreters?

Thank You everyone for your time in reading this and in responding.

Sincerely,
Matt

Tonight, I am going to a Deaf Club with a woman who is deaf. She said that she does not need me to protect her in case she was bitten by a cat. She said she used to have 6 cats. She is brave. She is not scared of cats. I worry because I always feel that I should offer to protect a woman if she gets bitten by a cat. However, this woman does not want or need my protection. Each person is different.

Are we talking big jungle cats or little house cats? Cause you might be the one who needs protecting :lol:

DereksBicycles I asked that if someone didn't want to answer the questions that they not respond to the forum. I am not trying to be offensive to anyone I am just trying to get my homework assignment done. Please do not come onto the forum that I created asking questions and post things like this. Please do not respond unless you are willing to respond to the questions.

At least this student was good enough to provide his school name and location.Deaf Cultures class at Columbia College Chicago
Faculty
Diana Gorman Jamrozik
Associate Professor, Acting Chair
MA Interpretation, Gallaudet University, Washington, DC

Making it a fairly easy guess that this is the head of the department for his class. So any inquiries on whether this will even count towards his class credit should be easy to address. :)

DereksBicycles I asked that if someone didn't want to answer the questions that they not respond to the forum. I am not trying to be offensive to anyone I am just trying to get my homework assignment done. Please do not come onto the forum that I created asking questions and post things like this. Please do not respond unless you are willing to respond to the questions.

This has been answered for so many previous students you can easily look it up.

You should be getting an F anyway.

The point of the assignment wasn't to look up the questions from someone who has already asked the questions the point was to interview someone. I state in my message if someone is willing to do a Skype interview that would be great. I don't understand everyones hostility towards my questions. I am doing exactly what I am supposed to for my class. If I was to go and look up answers from previous Interviews then I would be cheating and would deserve an F. I don't deserve an F for trying to have a decent human being answer some questions.

The point of the assignment wasn't to look up the questions from someone who has already asked the questions the point was to interview someone. I state in my message if someone is willing to do a Skype interview that would be great. I don't understand everyones hostility towards my questions. I am doing exactly what I am supposed to for my class. If I was to go and look up answers from previous Interviews then I would be cheating and would deserve an F. I don't deserve an F for trying to have a decent human being answer some questions.

But you already had Derek, who lives close to you offer to do it in person as you are supposed to.

You could have gone to see him and been done with the assignment in the correct manner.

For someone with no time, you have wasted a lot here today.

I'm confused - you signed up for and are taking a class that you knew you wouldn't "have time" to do the required work and homework for ?

I'm also a bit baffled that you have a schedule that allows you to post on message boards at will, but doesn't allow for a 15min in person meeting with someone at a convenient location such as on campus or at a coffee shop etc.

Priorities, priorities, priorities.

As I stated already I am not able to meet with someone. So I was willing and wanting to talk to someone via video chat and Derek wanted me to buy a bicycle from him in order to do the interview. I was trying to reach out and was turned down by a ton of people. I was just hoping for a helping hand and obviously no one here is willing to do that.

So you've been turned down by a "ton" of people. Perhaps that should be a clue that it's time to change tactics.

Awww, you should have just taken Derek to lunch. You might have gotten your homework done and made a friend as well.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

You DO realize we get asked this question multiple times a week, every week - right?

The "I want something from you, but can't give anything in return" gets old after a while.

You might not actually realize it, but it's really a lot more hassle to do it online than in person..

In person: you drive/walk to the location, meet up, have a drink, over in 10-15 minutes if it wasn't a fun talk. 30 minutes+ if it was an interesting person to get to know.

Online: you have to wait until both parties are available, both sides don't know what to expect because they've never met in person before, people walking into the camera that shouldn't be there, interruptions from whatever pc or real life notifications - ends up into a poor experience.

You might not actually realize it, but it's really a lot more hassle to do it online than in person..

In person: you drive/walk to the location, meet up, have a drink, over in 10-15 minutes if it wasn't a fun talk. 30 minutes+ if it was an interesting person to get to know.

Online: you have to wait until both parties are available, both sides don't know what to expect because they've never met in person before, people walking into the camera that shouldn't be there, interruptions from whatever pc or real life notifications - ends up into a poor experience.

...Plus!...ya never know...Derek might be a serial killer...hope yo' mamma done told ya...never talk to strangers...

Of course you're going to run into issues on this board in terms of getting people to do an interview with you.... we get multiple students coming here to post the same/similar questions for the same interview type of deal for their homework.... too many come by here expecting answers, but once they have the answers they need, they disappear never to return. We never even find out how they do on their assignments or anything like that. Just poof, vanish, nada. So yes, we're going to be difficult about this, we get tired of this happening time and time again.

You're in Chicago. Surely there is a good sized Deaf community there. Surely you could reach out to them, see if someone is willing to give you an actual interview.

I know with the ASL classes here where I am, the teachers don't ask their student to do interviews (thankfully!) but they highly encourage the students to go to the local deaf socials going on (there's usually 2 a month) so they can get involved and practice their ASL skills with actual Deaf individuals. When the student makes an actual effort to go out to a social (or to several socials) and be interactive, we're more likely to be receptive towards them and be more than happy to help them out.

Make the effort to get an appropriate Deaf person to do this interview. Reaching out online isn't the same, and won't necessarily be the best way to get your homework done.

...Plus!...ya never know...Derek might be a serial killer...hope yo' mamma done told ya...never talk to strangers...
:shock:! You aren't supposed to let them know that derek's a Button... I heard he's a frequent visitor of the fishes.

Back