interpreters what do you guys think?

herewego

Reaction score
Hi I'm hearing, but I wonder what deaf or hard of hearing people think about interpreters. Sometimes I feel like students and interpreters maybe offer help more often when it's unnecessary. An example: a friend of mine born deaf, often prefers to use his own methods to communicate to those who don't know ASL. If he asks I will help, but if not I allow him to communicate with the person. I guess I'm also kind of curious what you think about hearing people going to deaf events. Maybe a silly question, but I have been pretty curious about all of this. This would also help me with understanding, what people may think if I attend a deaf event. I have currently only attended one deaf event that wasn't church related that I was invited to by a deaf man and didn't really fit in well (my ASL is kind of basic but, conversations tend to go well otherwise unless about science or something more advanced than stories and questions).

I think if you really want to know how deaf people feel, you should ask deaf people rather than hearing terps.

In my experience, I've found that deaf participants are usually friendly and welcoming at their events as long as the hearing person isn't using them for sign language practice or research. Just like anyone, they want to be valued as individuals. When I go to deaf events, we chat about grandkids, weather, politics, crime, health, etc. "Deaf" topics come up too, as part of normal conversation.

It also depends on the type of event, how "open" it is to the general public, and whether or not an invitation is required.

I do not chat about ... grandkids, politics, crime, health...

I chat about what to do in the future, beer, and general awesome living.

I think if you really want to know how deaf people feel, you should ask deaf people rather than hearing terps.

In my experience, I've found that deaf participants are usually friendly and welcoming at their events as long as the hearing person isn't using them for sign language practice or research. Just like anyone, they want to be valued as individuals. When I go to deaf events, we chat about grandkids, weather, politics, crime, health, etc. "Deaf" topics come up too, as part of normal conversation.

It also depends on the type of event, how "open" it is to the general public, and whether or not an invitation is required.
Thanks that's how I generally feel I'm not a ASL student I learn because have met some pretty cool people through it and good friends is always a good thing!

I would have to agree with that politics is social don't all around, normally ends up in a fight. Crime is kind of like the news sad and health sometimes is ok. Except family isn't bad I'm an uncle and so grandkids is fine(or in my case nieces and nephews).

I second! I'm just gonna discuss what is up in future NOT about intepreters cuz i have very senestive issues about dealing with interepters.. :roll:

Back