Interpreter problems

I've noticed that some students have problems with their interpreters because the students assume the wrong responsibilities of the interpreters.

I am having a problem with two specific interpreters here at RIT.

They are both from one class I am taking. This one interpreter (about in her 40s) signs very strong ASL and she does not interpret what the teacher is saying. This is one of the difficult course I am taking which is nearly the same as a course at law school. She makes it like a story of the jury, the lawyers, judge, into a lively story. I'm like.. she is not interpreting the real process of how jury is really selected, how the lawyers function in courts.

Now this other interpreter is a freaking student interpreter and can't sign for shit.

News flash.. they are both partners (lesbian) and they keep talking to each other in class, giving each other food, asking if they need to call home to check on children, over and over..

They drive me nuts.

Originally posted by BostonIceFire

They are both from one class I am taking. This one interpreter (about in her 40s) signs very strong ASL and she does not interpret what the teacher is saying. This is one of the difficult course I am taking which is nearly the same as a course at law school. She makes it like a story of the jury, the lawyers, judge, into a lively story. I'm like.. she is not interpreting the real process of how jury is really selected, how the lawyers function in courts.

Now this other interpreter is a freaking student interpreter and can't sign for shit.

News flash.. they are both partners (lesbian) and they keep talking to each other in class, giving each other food, asking if they need to call home to check on children, over and over..

They drive me nuts.

Boston gurl -- havent u gone to the DSS office and put in a request for a replacement terp to replace both or 1 at least qq

boston i think IMO go to DSS and tell them u don t want *partners* working together in same subject, and have a pre meeting with the interp before u begin your class so u won't feel like your wasting time with them! Educatiion is a factor not interps who are partners and doesn't respect the code of ethics!

I know there are many different problems with other different deafies. So let me tell you mine. So, I lived in Dallas, Texas until I was 10 years old. I signed SEE (Sign Exact English) And I got so used to it. Then I moved to Davenport, Iowa. Then I ended up in mainstream for the first time (which i hated it) And my interpreter was signing ASL that already made me LOST in a damn HOLE and overwhemled! So I tried to tell my mom and my mom didn't even believe me until end of the school year then. My mom and I had been going through COURT and trying to fight for my rights to get an interpreter that I could understand but at the same time through out my school years. I learned a lot about ASL. So I love both but mostly I love ASL because it always shows the actions than SEE u know what i am trying to say?? :)

Originally posted by LezArtist
I know there are many different problems with other different deafies. So let me tell you mine. So, I lived in Dallas, Texas until I was 10 years old. I signed SEE (Sign Exact English) And I got so used to it. Then I moved to Davenport, Iowa. Then I ended up in mainstream for the first time (which i hated it) And my interpreter was signing ASL that already made me LOST in a damn HOLE and overwhemled! So I tried to tell my mom and my mom didn't even believe me until end of the school year then. My mom and I had been going through COURT and trying to fight for my rights to get an interpreter that I could understand but at the same time through out my school years. I learned a lot about ASL. So I love both but mostly I love ASL because it always shows the actions than SEE u know what i am trying to say?? :)
You went to court because you want them to sign SEE, yet you tell us that you love ASL? What's up with that?

Yeah, I have interpreter for my mainstreamed classes and college classes. I see different kind of personal interpreters. It sometimes fun and not fun. I would be growling if one of them did not help me or understanding what is going on, wont tell what is going on. Others are NO PROBLEM. It is depends on their personal skills.

right on fly free. it's wonderful to see that you give feedback and ask questions when needed. this kind of action will only help interpreters, at least the terps who are interested in achieving professionalism, improve in serving the deaf/hh community. educational intepreting does have a code of ethics, but it varies from state to state. i say use common sense and remember a child's educational should come first. in relation to college, vr, court, medical kinds of interpreting i feel it is much more important to follow the code of ethics establised by RID. it is wise for the terp to pay close attention to these codes. flyfree, another great point about terps who are immersed in deaf culture, but tend to stray from what's right. i see that a lot and some are really great terps. almost like they forget what's professional because they become really comfortable. hey, i think we all have been guilty of this at some point.

i will say to anyone in any situation that gives feedback to do so constructively and always be upfront and honest.
also, javapride, i'm sure you are more than qualified to assess where a terp would be better suited, but be most careful. from my experience most situations are different and call for different measuers. either way you being proactive is wonderful and i would love to be able to interpret for deaf/hh individuals that are honest and helpful like some of you guys. peace

Originally posted by lfreed
right on fly free. it's wonderful to see that you give feedback and ask questions when needed. this kind of action will only help interpreters, at least the terps who are interested in achieving professionalism, improve in serving the deaf/hh community. educational intepreting does have a code of ethics, but it varies from state to state. i say use common sense and remember a child's educational should come first. in relation to college, vr, court, medical kinds of interpreting i feel it is much more important to follow the code of ethics establised by RID. it is wise for the terp to pay close attention to these codes. flyfree, another great point about terps who are immersed in deaf culture, but tend to stray from what's right. i see that a lot and some are really great terps. almost like they forget what's professional because they become really comfortable. hey, i think we all have been guilty of this at some point.

i will say to anyone in any situation that gives feedback to do so constructively and always be upfront and honest.
also, javapride, i'm sure you are more than qualified to assess where a terp would be better suited, but be most careful. from my experience most situations are different and call for different measuers. either way you being proactive is wonderful and i would love to be able to interpret for deaf/hh individuals that are honest and helpful like some of you guys. peace

Thank u for that postive out look and i agree im usually careful when it comes to interpeters i have had some who just can't sign to my comfortablity, and or just doesn't show expressions whereas i would be *bored* in the certain subject or classes or meetings, I perfer to see the movements and clarification so I won't miss out on certain things. SO thank u again for that postive outlook:) ( by the way feedback is a wonderful tools it helps us really look and understand the communication factor)

no need to thank me javapride. again, it's great to see people that want and deserve excellence. i too see that problem with terps often.. i think they learn ASL vocabulary before they have any idea about facial grammar and sentence types. hey i'll chat on this all day. too many terps get caught up with simply signing and forget the most important parts of the language. i won't pretend to say i am fluent in ASL, but i'll die trying. true a majority of my students and clients sign PSE, so i bascially mock each person's language.
my main goal when i interpret in interactive settings is to try to have the deaf or hh person use their source language as much as possible. the worst feeling is leaving a client knowing that person wiilingly changed their language to express themselves. it does happen and i hope that's when helpful people like yourself educate the terp on their strengths and weaknesses.
to be honest, i've become so frustrated with so called hearing impaired teachers who have no clue about signing and refuse input from more knowlegeable people. it's only my love for my deaf brother and love for the deaf communtity that keeps me going. good luck and god bless. BTW, i'm certified for educational interpreting and taking my nationals within a year.
i am a college grad, but never went thru an ITP. i learned thru the deaf community and my own studies. any advice here because i see these other terps that graduate from these terp training programs that don't have that real life experience. they have what i call "classroom knowledge" any info would be helpful. thanks

my interperter answered it for me driving test and i passed it...

we used date after i graduated h.s.

interepter doesn't need to tell every detail what people say unless i reguire english sign language, but i want america sign language which it's just simple summazie (sp)

careful, though ASL may require less sign production than signed english i don't think it should be classified as a simple summary of anything. maybe i'm wrong, little help here.

BostonIceFire....

Haha.. i agreed with you,,, wasnt i the one who sat next to you in that class the whole quarter....heh.. :)

Kitty82

BostonIceFire said:

They drive me nuts.

Back