Interpreter problems

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
I heard there are some interpreter that break the code of ethics - they dont sign exactly what is said or signed and they talk to the parents of the students (tattle on them), or they dont show up. I have seen that problem at one school where the interpreter doesnt show up in the mornings but does after lunch.....

i cheat on my tests.... my interpreters dont tell... my interpreters a damn good interpreter... :)

Gee, I don't have problem with interpreter.

Maybe it's reason why I date them. :o

just kidding...

Actually, in fact, I don't have problem so far.... :D

your interpreter is not supposed to be involved. She should stay out of your business.

You're lucky you have good interpreter, Ozegel. not many interpreter are like that.

Yeah, a lot of interpreters doesn't follow the code of ethnics-- that sucks. I have an awesome interpreter at my mainstreaming school, lucky me!!

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
I heard there are some interpreter that break the code of ethics - they dont sign exactly what is said or signed and they talk to the parents of the students (tattle on them), or they dont show up. I have seen that problem at one school where the interpreter doesnt show up in the mornings but does after lunch.....

hellll yeah - my interpreter did that to me when i was in 6th and 7th grade .... she tattled on me to my mom GRRRRRRRR - thank GOD i moved to ISD in 8th grade !!

any interprter who rats on a student for cheating is a goof ball. they should do their job and facillitate the info and tutor if needed, at least in k/12th grade setting. to many interpreters want to play mom, dad, teacher, or even police. how ridiculous. my bro is deaf and i always tell him to use the terp for your benefit only and if you make friends in the process, even better. remember most professions have some form of ethical code, but words don't equate to stone. though, i'm sure some deaf/hh students don't always want the interpreter to follow the code of ethics. it's really a double edge sword. hey, i'm a terp, but more importantly i'm a human and have one purpose at the schools or whereever i work. that is to help in any way possible. that is what education is all about. hey, if you dislike a terp, but thier skills are helping you in some way try to put up with it because your next translator may stink. peace

I had a talk with the head director of interpreters. That person told me that if any interpreter break one rule from Codes of Ethnic...they would get automatically fired over it. I was like oooh, man...how strict! But I like that.

there are 2 main ethical codes for interpreters to follow. one is the RID code of ethics which is more practical for communtiy interpreting and the other which is more condusive for educational settings k/12. both can be applied to one another for many situations though. bascially interpreters must apply these codes depending on their interpreting situation. like someone mentioned before, voicing or expressing the message faithfully and accurating conveying the mood and speaker of the dear/hh person is one example of the code of ethics. another example is if a terps skills don't fit an assignment the terp must decline and aid in refering another terp. another example would be if a interpreter sees the deaf/hh student cheating on a test the terp must fuction in a manner appropriate to the situation. the teacher is in charge of classroom manangement and discipline, so directly telling the teacher the student is teaching is overstepping the interpreter's authority. now a remark to the teacher after class my be more appropriate. as an interpreter i feel i follow the code of ethics keeping in mind that only the ten commandments were written in stone. therefore, i use common sense and realize all situations are different. now, with legal, medical, vr, or medical interpreting the code becomes much more strict. either way is is important for terps to follow the code of ethics. hope this helps a bit.

Originally posted by ozegel
i cheat on my tests.... my interpreters dont tell... my interpreters a damn good interpreter... :)
Cheat Rulz! lol... anyway I know cheating's bad habits but sometime somebody got to do it... I did cheated to avoid Final Exams nearly end of Quarters back in Junior during high school years... At graduation, nearly end of my Sal speech I admit to everyone in the audience that I did cheated, my teachers were so shocked that I cheated, then I said to add, "I bet some of you, including the teachers did cheated long time ago" After the graduation, some of people who I don't know or some of my teachers came to me and admit they did too... I go like "BRAVO!"

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
You should be careful, they could of revoked your diploma.......
shh, tell the world will ya? lolz... they said they can't because it's over...

Originally posted by pimpdaddyposse
Cheat Rulz! lol... anyway I know cheating's bad habits but sometime somebody got to do it... I did cheated to avoid Final Exams nearly end of Quarters back in Junior during high school years... At graduation, nearly end of my Sal speech I admit to everyone in the audience that I did cheated, my teachers were so shocked that I cheated, then I said to add, "I bet some of you, including the teachers did cheated long time ago" After the graduation, some of people who I don't know or some of my teachers came to me and admit they did too... I go like "BRAVO!"

Wow. You were so brave to admit cheating to them in the audience. I am very impressed with your bravery. Ofc, we do cheat for various reasons. ;)

i stand corrected. according to the code of ethics for educational interpreters....interpreters are part of the educational team and must be involved in the enforcement of school rules. therefore, according to the code(wink..wink..wink) if an interpreter sees a child breaking a school rule like cheating they are responsible to report that infraction immediately. sorry for the misinformation. i always thought the teacher was solely responsible for classroom management. very strange indeed. peace

yes i agree with some of u that the terps would break the code of ethics -- especially involving adult clients theyre terping for (the compromise of terps and school system in regards to the juvenile's behavior and etc i dont know much abt the terping issues involving juveniles so i wont really refer much to Ifreed's comments in ref to this) -- i have had a few terps who has violated the C of E's and go figure theyre STILL terping :roll: and have talked to other Deafies in the area who also have had to deal with terps who violates the C of E -- i personally think that the terps should be retrained on the professionalism when terping with an adult Deaf person especially if they are very much immersed in the Deaf culture and goes to alot of their socials -- ive met quite a few terps at Deaf socials and many of them dont discuss any certain things related to their jobs -- just say that they terp for (whatever) agency and for how long and their creditials/training backgrounds and limit it to that (on occasions i would ask for their business card if i LIKED their signing skills and sort of do a informal evaluation of them in a social setting to get a sense of that terp (good/bad and etc) so i would have their name/agency name on hand when i need a terp i can just call up the agency and ask specifically for that terp by name in my request) -- i do once in a while ask what type of terping they have done that was the most challenging (examples: court case, college class in a subject theyre not very familiar with, hearies who talk WAYYYYYY too fast for the terp to keep up and etc) and explain what they learned abt that experience/challenge leaving out specific information like name of client, location where terp -- just keep it all broad and neutral -- i dont think this would be a violation of the Code of Ethics would it qq any comments in regards to this question qq

IN ref to Fly free's comment IMO it's not the violation of the code of ethics, it's a way to get *feelers* about the interp and your comfortablity with that interp should u hire one. I do also check out the interp's skills and thier *respect* for the code of ethics. and learn how they got thier skills and where they can improve etc.

I have done feedback with the interps and tell them my feelings about that interp's movativation. I have had to *let* one interp go cuz there was no understanding and her skills didn't match mine. SO i asked the interp for another interp to show up at a following meeting so i wouldn't have to worry about having the same interp showing up. and I was blunt that she needs to work with the kids mostly as i know theier better suited for that type of job with slow and mixed signing whilist the other interps were good for colleges and meetings for example weekly meetings that i know would drain them out... this interp didn't do very well so I called the interp agency and explain my thoughts and where she is better suited for.. Important u give the interp better feedbacks and tell them how u feel about thier job and if thier meeting ur criertia .

Back