Interpreter denied by.....COURT!!!

well court is over and i had to wait 45 min before finally got to face judge >.< then when we did face them i didnt get to say one word. so apprantly its a waste of time to get interpreter after all. i can just stand there and let judge do the talk and have him do that dismiss gesture and i know ill be done. only 5 min . bleh waste of time.

SpiceHD said:
well court is over and i had to wait 45 min before finally got to face judge >.< then when we did face them i didnt get to say one word. so apprantly its a waste of time to get interpreter after all. i can just stand there and let judge do the talk and have him do that dismiss gesture and i know ill be done. only 5 min . bleh waste of time.

What you have described is what I always see in court. I sit in there for hours waiting for a single case to go before the judge. It gets boring as hell, but its funny to see what some of the people say to the judge. That past few times I've had to go to court, I've had to wait hours for the case...then the guy gets up there and pleads guilty so there is testimony from me at all...I don't even have to get out of my seat...It sucks because most of my court time is on my days off.

(btw, I'm so glad to see you back)

Let this be a lesson for all of you deaf people - if we're denied the right to have an interpreter, YOU MUST FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT! Don't just sit back and think that you're powerless!

Wow. It's good to hear that you made it.

As you know if we are registered to vote, this is how the court require us to be the jury.

(It was good thing that the judge does not send you to jail. Actually, he/she can do that.)

Off subject, I just wanted to tell you that I watched a TV cable a few days ago. I found out that some judges did not go to work a full time job, and they just go out for the half day everyday or go to shopping most of time. The reporters watched and followed them carefully for four days, and they were surprised and disappointed because we pay the taxes for them to do their full time duty.

dear god......when is the government going to get smarter? lol. well i really feel bad for you. the court is being unjust. yea i believe that this matter is worth your time. maybe if you're lucky it'll go to the supreme court and they'll rule that interpreters will be required in all cases. who knows. maybe you could be the one person to change that. good luck!

courts via state of OH or district shld pay and prodvie the interpeters.. bec i been to courts b4

I can't imagine a court denying an interpreter that is wrong. Most court's provide an interpreter regardless of the language its only the policy and procedure to provide the interpreter services. Do fight for your right

Grandma LMM
Don't understand any spoken language, Since she can't speech read and/or hear. Yes she make sure any place hire a ASL terp. So she can understand
whats happening. If they refuse, She TTD/V/P Deaf law center. Sometimes it's a pain for her, She has to wait hours/days/weeks for new appointment.
maybe some people that can speech read don't mind not having a terp. But LMM doesn't! She fights for her rights! Sometimes it's not a pretty sight! It get's ugly as she would said! LOL
Just ask someone here who knows/work with her. He is helping her now w/ a case. She wants me to tell him " Thank -U [SP] very much!"

LMM

Greenville Ohio, My father who is now passed away had court in 2015 over one of his dogs getting loose and getting into a fight with a neighbors dog. 2 weeks before the court date I called the Clerk of Courts requesting a translator for my deaf Father, they said he would not need one and wouldn't go in front of the judge that day. I called a week before the court date and requested again and was told the same thing. Court day came and in fact they put him in front of the judge, then the bailiff told me I had to translate after he exited the court room. Even after stating I am not a effective translator with legal matters and I do not want to. Violated my dads rights as well as mine.

Greenville Ohio, My father who is now passed away had court in 2015 over one of his dogs getting loose and getting into a fight with a neighbors dog. 2 weeks before the court date I called the Clerk of Courts requesting a translator for my deaf Father, they said he would not need one and wouldn't go in front of the judge that day. I called a week before the court date and requested again and was told the same thing. Court day came and in fact they put him in front of the judge, then the bailiff told me I had to translate after he exited the court room. Even after stating I am not a effective translator with legal matters and I do not want to. Violated my dads rights as well as mine.
most courts have a foreign language office. ASL unfortunately fall into that office too. Call them.

most courts have a foreign language office. ASL unfortunately fall into that office too. Call them.
All courts required by a law to have an interpeter for you. Ohio is in trouble. We have many interpreters in Fairfax, VA. They provide us very good. The judge are wrong. He should know better. He may be old fashioned. The only way you can get a good lawyer and they will do the work for you. I had a good lawyer in New York to fight over the speed ticket which were showing errors. Its been over two years to fight over. Finally its over. They did good job. Think about it.

Back