Interpret my Audiogram

ptcallaghan

Reaction score
Anybody good at reading these things...this is my most recent Audiogram with the exception of the one the CI Audi did...didnt get a copy of that one...

I was never really explained what it all means...

Attachments

• audigram2010.jpg
    audigram2010.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 64
Looks like you cant understand speech with just your hearing.

The X's are your left ear, the O's are your right.

Looks like your hearing on the right hears more of the normal talking volumes but you will have a hard time hearing it then at 2500hz you drop to the profound range. On the other hand, your left ear will only hear very low sounds (bass) but anything over 1500 hz it drops to you being pretty much deaf in that ear.

I thought I'd post a few "How to Read Your Audiogram" website links for you , and others who might want to learn more about what their/their loved one's really means.

BC Children's Hospital - How to read an Audiogram & what it means

EarInfo.com - How to Understand your Hearing Test

Hearing Aid Report - How do I read my audiogram ?

A Hearing Loss.com - Reading Your Audiogram

Raising Deaf Kids - Audiograms

Hope that helps!!

P.S. I am posting links only - I do not necessarily agree with the communication methods mentioned (ie oral only, AV, simcom/SSS, ASL, ASL only, Bi-Bi etc) in any articles or related parts of the website to which I link.
I personally -as a Hoh/Deaf adult who was born SSD Deaf & raised oral only - support and recommend a Bi-Bi (ASL AND ENGLISH) environment for infants & children & a adults whenever possible because it provides an aurally & visually rich linguistic environment in which the infant child can naturally acquire and understand language. Bi-Bi, when done correctly allows for (near, or) complete access to BOTH ASL and English (written, read, speechread & when possible, heard) as well as creating a mental environment in which that Hoh/Deaf child can learn additional languages (written, read & possibly speechread & heard) later in childhood &/or adulthood. It has been repeatedly and throughly proven in the Hearing World that bilingual and multilingual individuals have a better understanding not only of "language" in a general sense, but also a better understanding of each language they are fluent (or conversant in). Also multilingual individuals have richer more highly paid career choices and are more culturally and socially aware than their monolingual peers.

Thanks for those links..will check em out when I get a chance

So...based on that audiogram....am I `deaf`or just HOH or is it not that simple

see thats the thing....I currently dont self-identify...I guess I am living a lie...

Obviously as I grew up hearing...much like yourself it is a real adjustment and for the longest time I hoped to get some medical help that would fix the hearing.....well gave up on that one (aside from the implant) but still dont know how to identify...most people that i interact with (store clerks etc) havent a clue that I am very HOH...they just think im not paying attention or something

Still dont know what to be.....:hmm:

well I identified as hoh for some time until i came to the realization im not really hard of hearing im deaf.. also easier to identify as deaf than hoh because ppl think hoh oh ok she can still hear me just speak a bit louder..and thats not the case so if I say i'm deaf it's a lot easier and ppl take me more seriously. when did you lose your hearing?

Well I started losing it in about April 2008 after developing a bad cold...ears plugged up and when they finally cleared up they had taken some hearing...not much but enough to be annoying to me...since then I have had at least 2 noticible drops...seemingly overnight....could hear certain frequencies one week at work....couldnt the next...

It has gotten to the point now as shown in the audiogram...not sure if the CI one from November was the same or worse again...

I know what you mean about the HOH and speaking louder...yah that dont work...face me, speak clearly, annunciate and please dont yell lol

Originally when i was still in the Dr seeing mode and I had hope that it was temporary...I would say i am having some troubles with my hearing...

Now...Sometimes I will say I am HOH, sometimes I will say oh dont mind me im half deaf...that used to be a joke but its pretty much the truth.. deaf in one ear cant hear outta the other.

I still find myself appologizing when i cant hear someone...but that is ridiculous...its not my fault...nevertheless still say it

How does your hearing compare to mine...

mine isn't a ski slope loss it's just more or less straight across and all in the severe profound range so 70-105 dB

Thanks for those links..will check em out when I get a chance

So...based on that audiogram....am I `deaf`or just HOH or is it not that simple

It depends what you mean - medically ? functionally? culturally/socially? etc.

Medically
"Hoh" is generally defined (in adults) as having between +20db & +80db hearing loss (ie mild to moderately severe)

"deaf" is often defined as +90db hearing loss (or more)across 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz and 4000 Hz (severely-profound to profound/+120db(CNT)

Functionally
Someone who is Hoh is able to understand speech, with or without HAs and is able and reasonably comfortable) communicating via listening/speaking. Hoh people typically DO use speechreading, HAs and other techniques (including ASL) to augment communication etc.

Someone who is deaf - is typically unable with or without HAs (and sometimes CIs) to understand speech &/or is not comfortable using speaking & listening to communicate. People who are deaf typically rely of heavily on speechreading, as well as other forms of communication such as writing, cuing, signing to communicate with others.

After that though, it's really up to the person - how they function, how they feel, how they identify personally.
If you notice all my posts I identify myself as Hoh/Deaf.
This is for a number of reasons including:

I have +120db deafness on one side, but mild/mod fluctuating HL on the other side.

Depending on the situation I can function anywhere from Hoh (in quiet areas & small groups I'm able to communicate via speaking and listening fairly well/reliably) however in other situations I am functionally deaf (background noise, large groups, if I have a flu/cold/illness I am unable to understand speech via listening at all).

Depending on whom I'm explaining things to, I'll sometimes say I'm Hoh - other times I'll say Deaf. I alter what definition I give based on the environment in which the question is asked. At the movies - when asking for a RWC reflector, I'm Deaf. When verbally asking for clarification someplace where I've already spoken, I say I'm "very Hoh" (and point to the hearing aid). When booking an ASL interpreter I'm Hoh/Deaf. If I meet someone that I'll be seeing again and have a long term, repeated interaction with I'll say that I'm "Hoh, but if there's background noise or a lot of people I can't understand anything so then it's like I am completely deaf" (then briefly explain how to communicate with me in the environment we're currently in and let them know I'll tell them when "the rules change lol")

Identity, linguistically , culturally, I have ALWAYS felt more Deaf (capital D) than Hoh. For me Signing - even though I didn't learn until adulthood - has always felt very natural to me (I started memorizing signs out of SEE & ASL dictionaries when I was about 7). I value and cherish ASL, Deaf culture, Deaf art (poetry, stories, painting, sculpture etc) and have always felt that even when I wasn't fluent in ASL being surrounded by Deaf people (hoh or deaf) was were I "belonged", where I felt the "most me".

I don't see being Hoh/Deaf as a disability - I see it as a linguistic, cultural and physical DIFFERENCE. The challenges I face as a Hoh/Deaf person are in most ways very similar to what a "short, visible racial minority, female, who's language is not that of the country is which she lives" is. The difference is that due to a physical condition I (personally) cannot learn to hear (ie learn the aural language of the country) so various communication tools exist to make communication easier (interpreters, TTY/TDD, relay services, CART etc).

I'm not sure if that helps at all ?

For me - I'll always be Hoh/Deaf ... "half and half" a little of BOTH - and that's OK, because it's who I am - and I LIKE me.

Anij, I really learned a lot and liked what you wrote in your post above; on the one hand, I think I understand where you're coming from when you write about "feeling more Deaf", because that's honestly how I"feel" too, though I have a mild hearing loss...I feel it's the easiest to be "me" when immersed in ASL too, though I'm not a "good" signer. I mentioned this also in the Deaf Ed. thread a little recently where people were discussing hoh/deaf/audiologists.
On the other hand, it IS a mild "loss", sooooo....I also kinda have this fear that I'm somehow "stepping on people's toes".

Anij, I really learned a lot and liked what you wrote in your post above; on the one hand, I think I understand where you're coming from when you write about "feeling more Deaf", because that's honestly how I"feel" too, though I have a mild hearing loss...I feel it's the easiest to be "me" when immersed in ASL too, though I'm not a "good" signer. I mentioned this also in the Deaf Ed. thread a little recently where people were discussing hoh/deaf/audiologists.
On the other hand, it IS a mild "loss", sooooo....I also kinda have this fear that I'm somehow "stepping on people's toes".

I never feel you step on toes. You add a lot.

I am unaidable left ear and profound right.

I am not a good signer either.

:wave:wow, :ty: Botti! I'm honored that you wrote that:)
we can be better signers together maybe:)

I know you dislike hugs so my warm wishes goes to you in the spirit of a hug-

Anij, I too feel I'm HoH/Deaf. I hear/understand pretty good w/my HAs. If I don't have my HAs in I tell my daughter to "talk to the ear" - get close to the ear so I can hopefully understand what she's trying to tell me. I'll also tell people "I'm going deaf" when I need to take my HA out (usually to scratch my ear :( ).

Back