Interesting Experience...

jake.t

Reaction score
Last night, my Wife and I went to a local Denny's restaurant late night. In the last year, I have been self-teaching myself ASL and with last night, I decided to use a little bit with my Wife to practice. Our server was polite and I should mention right now I am a Hearing individual with 30% loss of hearing only. I can hear just fine at a close distance. However, when communicating with my Wife whom was using her voice, the server continued to look at her for what I wanted and had an impatient look on her face. I let that go.

However, I paid with my card and when she came back, she handed the card to my Wife and spoke to her - as though to blatantly disregard me sitting there.

Have you experienced this before? If so, what were your thoughts and how did you handle it?

Yeah. sometimes, it does happens, and i tend to sign to them like they were a deer in headlights. :D

Once in a while they tried to talk to my small kids, and i wouldnt allow that and ask them to write down to me if they want to talk to me. I get use to it because i was born Deaf. I dont complain but do my best to make them THINK what they were doing to me or anyone.

I am sorry if you feel that way.. AGree , the best thing is to let that go but if you are in a mood to humor the server, to use your creative to make the server to notice you. ha..

Has happened to me toooo much....so, what do or what did I do?....Told the "simpletons" off....My bad (on some occasions)....other occasions...just treated them as if they were a "retard".

Has happened to me toooo much....so, what do or what did I do?....Told the "simpletons" off....My bad (on some occasions)....other occasions...just treated them as if they were a "retard".

how???? lol im damn curious!! you know me im too nice and do smile with white teeth showing. LOL

i just say it me who be leaving the tip or not, then oldman and me laugh.be surprised how well mannered they can be then but to little to late..
Nuts or pockets guarantee REACTION
icon7.gif

That has happened to me before. They handed my card to the other person. I just say, "hey that's my card" and take it from them. Depending on their attitude, if they gave me less than stellar service, I will give them no tip or a low tip, and then write down on the back of the receipt that I wasn't happy with how I was treated.

If it was great service with a great waiter with no problems, I will write down a cheerful note on the back saying thanks for a great service. :)

I would had said that is was my card and take it from her hand and not had left a tip. That might made her think twice about the way she treat a hoh or deaf person again.

Happens quite often with me and then they usually freak out when they hear me speak. I don't know why, but a lot of people assume deaf people can't speak.

Happens quite often with me and then they usually freak out when they hear me speak. I don't know why, but a lot of people assume deaf people can't speak.

Absolutely!...Several times people have said that I "was faking it" (being deaf) because I could speak....:roll:...I've found it amazing (at times) how naïve people can really be about the Deaf....and it became really tiresome and "old" having to explain the situation over and over.....then to see some people shake their head in "amazement"...:giggle:...as if I were an alien from outer space or something.

Oh yes constantly and even at my job with people going to my aide (I am a teacher) to discuss matters involving my students instead of me. However, I have told my aide to tell people not to do that and come up to me ...after a few months, finally people are slowly changing that habit. This is my first year at this job so the first half of the school year, people treated me like you just described but I became aggressive with them and forcing them to interact with me. It is hard work and there were some days I wanted to give up. Hearing people are strange people. lol

As for the restaurant thing...my hubby usually pays so they talk to him so I never gave it much thought.

Other times when I go to restaurants, I go with my deaf friends or hearing friends who use ASL so I don't recall having that happen when I am with them.

That never happened to me... or maybe it did but I never noticed.
Usually the server will ask me a question and since it's noisy I wouldn't hear her, so I look at my husband all helpless and he repeats what she said.

It's handy to have a hearing husband that will repeat everything the other person said because the other person is rude and didn't want to face me so I can lip-read or thinks that "loud" is actually mumbling!

Denny's is known for discrimination against Black people so I am not surprise
they discrimination against a deaf person. Are you going to eat there again?

Back