Interesting Day at the DMV

MelissaWatt

Reaction score
What a lovely day after processing my daughter in for her learners permit. I was told that I needed to pay $20 to upgrade my license to tag my car license as a deaf driver. I was was then told a few minutes later by the DMV process officer that not only that I had paperwork given to me to take to my doctor to prove my hearing loss and that I am competent to drive.
My take on this~~!! I have been driving since I was 16 and now your telling me I need to prove my hearing loss is legit and I am competent to drive as well as pay to upgrade my license.. No thanks.. I am more than capable if I get pulled over for any reason to talk to the officer with respect and inform them of my hearing loss.
The worst part of this crap IMHO is that they were not going to let me process my daughter based on that my license was incorrect. I told them I have a hearing loss and that is all that I have and I can drive just fine. When this was instituted as a change, I was not notified at the time I got my license renewed. When it is due for an update.. I will consider it then.
Thanks for letting me rant.. this is absurd. It was a great birthday present on Monday.. just great~!

Wow. I've never heard of this before. Do you mind sharing what state you live in? Mine (Minnesota) has a "left outside mirror" restriction in that I must have a left outside mirror, but that restriction became moot some years back when it became law here to have a left mirror anyway for EVERYONE. They still print that on my license though. But at least o didn't have to pay for that or document that. Wow about yours.

Here we do online renewal, and you just tick a box if you want either "hearing impaired " or "deaf" noted on your license.

Your choice.

Here we do online renewal, and you just tick a box if you want either "hearing impaired " or "deaf" noted on your license.

Your choice.

It has to be one or the other? Or you can choose to have nothing?

Nothing is also fine.

It's only if you want it noted.

That's interesting. I don't seem to have the option to remove that left mirror restriction, as silly as it seems as its law for everyone in Minnesota anyway. But I don't care too much, haven't been pulled over in some 25 years.

What a lovely day after processing my daughter in for her learners permit. I was told that I needed to pay $20 to upgrade my license to tag my car license as a deaf driver. I was was then told a few minutes later by the DMV process officer that not only that I had paperwork given to me to take to my doctor to prove my hearing loss and that I am competent to drive.
My take on this~~!! I have been driving since I was 16 and now your telling me I need to prove my hearing loss is legit and I am competent to drive as well as pay to upgrade my license.. No thanks.. I am more than capable if I get pulled over for any reason to talk to the officer with respect and inform them of my hearing loss.
The worst part of this crap IMHO is that they were not going to let me process my daughter based on that my license was incorrect. I told them I have a hearing loss and that is all that I have and I can drive just fine. When this was instituted as a change, I was not notified at the time I got my license renewed. When it is due for an update.. I will consider it then.
Thanks for letting me rant.. this is absurd. It was a great birthday present on Monday.. just great~!

Sounds to me like Virginia is unfairly singling you and everyone else with a hearing loss in the state out for having a hearing loss and not treating you equally under the law, not to mention penalizing you $20 because you have a hearing loss. Talk to an attorney or the ACLU, they would probably love to sink their teeth into something like this.

Sounds to me like Virginia is unfairly singling you and everyone else with a hearing loss in the state out for having a hearing loss and not treating you equally under the law, not to mention penalizing you $20 because you have a hearing loss. Talk to an attorney or the ACLU, they would probably love to sink their teeth into something like this.
X2 about this sounds discriminatory.

All~ Sorry I have not been on~ its back to school week here and a lot to do. I did go back to readdress this issue since my daughter had to go back and try round two for her learners permit. Not everyone there is "polite" in terms of addressing issues, however, I was told to just wait til it was time to renew my license and if I want it noted I can do that on my own to avoid the fee, however, I still need a doctor just time date stamp the paperwork and not that I wear hearing aids so that it can be added to my license if I want to in case there is a bigger emergency.. accident then the officer at the scene can at least for my safety give me the help I may need. Its not meant to single me out, but to help.
Unfortunately, when the area is crowded and the intercom is repeating said directions for the entire DMV .. it was noisy and made it difficult hear clear instructions. That made it obvious since my daughter did most of the talking and making sure i filled out all the necessary information. .. I don't like being out much anymore..

Back