Intel chipsets

rhr

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I forget long time ago.. I don't remember

you know intel chipset model xnn x = word, nn = number, I know number but what mean word? explin: P55, H55 Q55 ... new Z87

Waht mean
B, G, Q, P, X, Z,

like G41, "G" mean graphics bulit-in motherboard, H41, "H" mean I think it is HTPC, what mean B, X, P, Z, I can't find website intel chipset type.. I lost it, Do you know where URL?

Z87, H87, H81, Q87, Q85, B85 - What is the difference? - Puget Custom Computers

Most enthusiast gamer choose Z series chipset for high-end gaming PC and support dual/triple SLI and Crossfire configurations. Also, PCI-E 3.0 slot is improved video performance than old PCE-E 2.0 slot on motherboards and Integrated Graphics.

Yes, normally, most gaming enthusiast would choose LGA 1155 CPU (uses "Z" series) because of cost and graphic advantages - especially with Intel's newest LGA 1150 CPU (Haswell) that uses Z87 motherboards. But most powerful and expensive is LGA 2011 CPU (Sandy-Bridge E) that uses X79 motherboards and I'm installing it on my iRacing PC right now.

If you want to see the list of all chipset Intel has - see this link: List of Intel chipsets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

no no... I know about number 87 is new beat 77, 55, etc.. forget it I want talk about B, G, H, P, X, Z

tell me best top
best top 1st, 2nd etc.. which B, G, H, P, X, Z,

P and X not bulti-in Graphics
G and Z had Graphics

X is high performance than Z ???

If new intel X87 chpset, which beat z87 or x87?

I need find where link?

B, G, H, P, X, Z are not same socket model as many different CPU models.

Well, My current AMD motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3. "UD" stand for Ultra Duralbe.

North Bridge chipset = AMD 990FX

South Bridge chipset = AMD SB950

no no... I know about number 87 is new beat 77, 55, etc.. forget it I want talk about B, G, H, P, X, Z

tell me best top
best top 1st, 2nd etc.. which B, G, H, P, X, Z,

P and X not bulti-in Graphics
G and Z had Graphics

X is high performance than Z ???

If new intel X87 chpset, which beat z87 or x87?

I need find where link?

Chipset are designed for Northbridge and each letter suffix on chipset (B, G, H, P, X, and Z) are just category that designed specifically what you need. The link I gave has some information, but not much.

I can try ask same question in iRacing forum and see if anyone can give better explanation.

Yes, I know about AMD easy,

970 and 990fx same specs but
_7_ and _9_ are diffrent like 870 and 890fx, 970 and 990fx, future 1070, 1090x and 1090fx

_7_ is only 2 PCIe x16
_9_ is only 4 pcie x16

xx___ (first left number) mean new chipset version

what mean ____xx mean? I don't know about nope, "X" and "FX" mean?

B, G, H, P, X, Z are not same socket model as many different CPU models.

Well, My current AMD motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3. "UD" stand for Ultra Duralbe.

North Bridge chipset = AMD 990FX

South Bridge chipset = AMD SB950

Thank you for you try question at iRacing, let me know

Chipset are designed for Northbridge and each letter suffix on chipset (B, G, H, P, X, and Z) are just category that designed specifically what you need. The link I gave has some information, but not much.

I can try ask same question in iRacing forum and see if anyone can give better explanation.

Well.. other Motherboard and Video cards features - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/PI-A9RD480/

name.gif

Okay, one person replied:

iRacing member said:
Intel has four lines of chipsets: Extreme series (X), Performance series (formerly the "P" prefix, currently "Z"), Mainstream series (H), and Value series (also H, though different numbering - like H61). The numbers (79, 77, 75, 67, 61, etc.) are the generation of the architecture.

intel-roadmap-12_zps24c9645e.jpg

And then he added:

iRacing Member said:
Then i found this ... sorry for lack of punctuation , but as you can see this wasn't written by me .....

bilbat January 5, 2010 12:48:54 AM
Eekk!! 'm going sorta on supposition and rumor, mixed in (accidentally) with a few facts, and, as the guy I consider my mentor over at TweakTown, LSDmeASAP says: "I don't know everything, I make misteaks all the time, and, sometimes, my spelling is attrocious!" It's vague and somewhat unfathomable: The GA means nothing, appears to be generic to all Gigabyte's MOBOs, and made its appearance around 2004-2005; in the second grouping, the 'E' prefix made its debut around '07, and I believe, stands for 'efficient'; their UD2 terchnologies had already been in service for a while: low RDS(on) MOSFETs, ferrite core chokes, and Japanese 'solid' capacitors with a solid organic polymer replacing the electolyte, after the 04-05 'popping capacitor' debacle, which was suspected to have been rooted in the 'industrial espionage' type theft of an aqueous electrolyte formula which was not copied correctly, and subsequently 'infected' several Korean supplier's stockpiles...Anyhow, I think the 'E' prefix went along with their "Dynamic Energy Saver" software (which, generally speaking, is a buggy, ill-written POC); then, for Intels anyway, the next bit is the northbridge chipset designation. I have explained this a couple of times, and I think this makes the comparison - the 'X' series chipsets (X38, 48, 58) are kind of like the 'chainsaws' of the Intel line; they have lots of PCIe lanes, and will go like brutal hell, but are 'crude tools' when it comes to overclocking - you either hit it, or you don't - not a lot of room for adjustment; the 'P's on the other hand, are more like scalpels - they usually provide fewer, slower resources (narrower PCIe provisioning, etc.), but are delicate, precise overclocking tools, sometimes down to timing adjustments for each seperate DIMM; if you have the knowledge, and care to spend the time, you can tweak them to picosecond-perfect harmony with your CPU and memory... The 'T' after the chipset designation indicates the DDR3 capable boards, up to the new 1156/1366 platforms, which are only available for DDR3, with the exception of the 35C, which, supposedly, could handle either DDR2 or DDR3 - that was a neat idea, but you want to avoid them like the plague - truth is they were never functionally stable for either memory architecture!

Now, on to the next grouping, which is more obscure, and a lot of guesswork: I believe the 'D' is simply a whole, very wide 'family' designation for MOBOs that share a basic, underlying architecture - they have: RealTek ALC audio codecs and RTL81xx LAN chips, IT87xx LPCIOs, jMicron auxiliary SATA controllers, and on and on... This designation appears, in most products, to have been advanced to 'UD' with the introduction of ultra-durable 3 program, which added two ounce traces to their boards - I alway maintain most of the UD stuff is marketing hype and vaporware, as the capacitor problem was very specific, and ended, for most suppliers, once they 'flushed' their inventories (but the bad taste remained in everyone's mouth forever...), and the whole forward on resistance thing with MOSFETs had always been achieved anyhow, by simply paralleling, which cuts their resistance in half, but the 2oz boards were definitely a good thing - I doubt the change to trace impedance mattered to anything, but, finally, you could 'wrench down' a recalcitrant (and they all seem to be!) heatsink/fan assembly without feeling like you were a half-ounce of pressure away from a loud, sickening 'snap'! The 'Q' suffix boards have always been the 'ultra-enthusiast' boards, usually supporting more features than the contained chipsets actually provided for, and the numbers increase with the number of board features - someone suggested to me that the number is actually the pair count of SATA channels each supports, but that's easily disproven - who knows? The 'M's, I think, are the mini-ATX form factors, and the 'R' designates a RAID-capable southbridge; the 'G' boards have on-board graphics capacity; and I think that leaves us with 'L' and 'H', which I don't have a clue about!

The schema has changed with the 1156/1366 platform; there, the 'A' suffix to the second grouping indicates 'second-gen' boards, with SATA3 and USB3 support (what there is of it, so far!), and the 'M' still is mini-ATX, but they've dropped the 'T', as the whole platform is only available with DDR3... This is a good question; I've never really given the whole thing a lot of thought - hopefully people will pop up with a lot more clarifications, and it might be a good idea to plop it onto TweakTown, too - there are a lot of folks there with a crapperload of GB experience...

I think the image above is pretty much answered to your question - I hope...

The prefix letter _ (_123, P45, X58, Z77) never had explanation from Intel. It was always the higher the letter, then it's made for serious people like enthusiast or performance market.

I think it's easier to make an example like Lexus car model.
ES, GS, IS, LS. ES is cheapest and entry level model. IS and LS are higher and top performance. The letter has no meaning by itself, and the numbers differentiate each car from that letter class. Higher letter = better and more luxury or performance.

ES300
ES330
ES430
GS350
GS400
GS450
IS250
IS300
IS350
LS300
LS400
LS430
LS460

Different by each year not all models continued. Kind of same concept with Intel chipset, IMO.

Well, the "X" is higher than "Z" and that's why they called X "Extreme."

As I said they used letter suffix as category letter. "H" is lowest level, "P", "Z", and "X" are highest level depending on processor itself.

JMH is correct, X than Z, I don't understand about Z ? I tired reserch, why about "Z" ? it is not best than "X"

Well, the "X" is higher than "Z" and that's why they called X "Extreme."

As I said they used letter suffix as category letter. "H" is lowest level, "P", "Z", and "X" are highest level depending on processor itself.

Yes, 990FX is top than 970 then all but
I don't understand about Intel chiperset
if new X87, which best top is Z87 or X87?
but I decide buy Z87 or I wait for X__ soon

interesting... I guess my AMD 990FX mobo is performance...

Yes, 990FX is top than 970 then all but
I don't understand about Intel chiperset
if new X87, which best top is Z87 or X87?
but I decide buy Z87 or I wait for X__ soon

I would go ahead and get Z87 if I'm getting LGA 1150 processor. I don't see X87 anywhere but it was mentioned in one article (Intel X87 LGA 1150 Motherboard Previewed Online). To tell you, lot lot of gamers bought Z77 motherboard and they're happy with it.

Back