insurance frustration

budgiebre

Reaction score
I am have a difficult time with my insurance. I purchased hearing aids in 2011. I had a hearing test on December 8th that indicated with my current level of hearing loss I am not receiving the amplification I need to receive full benefit from the hearing aids. I was recommended more powerful aids by the audiologist that would meet my current needs as well as any progression in my hearing loss. Manulife will inly cover hearing aids every 5 years, I realize it has not been 5 years but that being said my current hearing aids are maxed out (I have a print out from the audiologist indicating this). I also have my previous hearing test and my current hearing test showing the drop in hearing. I am wondering if anyone has been in this situation. Insurance won't pay for them.

I've never been able to get any insurance to cover my hearing aids. I'd be thrilled to have any hearing aids that helped even if I had to wait years to get more appropriate ones. You may just have to suck it up for the time period or pay out of pocket. When they give you a refusal try to appeal it with the audiologist and a medical doctor if needed to explain why it's essential that you have new hearing aids now.

I've also never gotten insurance to pay for HA's. My last set before my CI's were $6600. Count yourself lucky that your insurance gives you anything.

I've also never gotten insurance to pay for HA's. My last set before my CI's were $6600. Count yourself lucky that your insurance gives you anything.

I "liked" HOH_ME's post in the sense that it is the reality for what looks like most of us. For years I had a policy with anything hearing related as an exclusion.

If you're working or going to school rehab may help you get new hearing aids. I have to wait 5 years too with my insurance to cover new HA .

most health insurance policies (or the ones I've seen recently) now only pay for hearing aids for just kids up to the age of 21. Head scratcher as to why they decided that... There used to be an insurance carrier that paid for hearing aids for kids and adults I think- but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it... started with an E.

I am have a difficult time with my insurance. I purchased hearing aids in 2011. I had a hearing test on December 8th that indicated with my current level of hearing loss I am not receiving the amplification I need to receive full benefit from the hearing aids. I was recommended more powerful aids by the audiologist that would meet my current needs as well as any progression in my hearing loss. Manulife will inly cover hearing aids every 5 years, I realize it has not been 5 years but that being said my current hearing aids are maxed out (I have a print out from the audiologist indicating this). I also have my previous hearing test and my current hearing test showing the drop in hearing. I am wondering if anyone has been in this situation. Insurance won't pay for them.

Yes ive been there your next step is cochlear implants. Your insurance will cover those. A cure.

yeah, DeafDucky is right. CI is NOT a cure. NOT a magic fix. Just like with a hearing aid, it takes time and patience and effort to make it work, and it's not perfect.

Agreed.... but it's a godsend for those with progressive losses, once they've totally maxed out on aids!

Agreed.... but it's a godsend for those with progressive losses, once they've totally maxed out on aids!
That's true.

I'm still on the fence but as it is I don't think I even qualify yet even though my loss is profound and I think I'm maxed on hearing aids but my speech discrims scores are just this side of "still good"...barely.

That's true.

I'm still on the fence but as it is I don't think I even qualify yet even though my loss is profound and I think I'm maxed on hearing aids but my speech discrims scores are just this side of "still good"...barely.
Is one of your ears worse then the other ear? Maybe that might be a reason to implant....I can understand being so ambigious with the decision to implant....it would be a lot easier if it was a clear cut decision right?

Is one of your ears worse then the other ear? Maybe that might be a reason to implant....I can understand being so ambigious with the decision to implant....it would be a lot easier if it was a clear cut decision right?
exactly.

I'm not the best decision maker either lol but I DO always take my time to see all sides. As for my ears.. my right ear is worse but not by much according to the audiogram. (sort of like my eyes-- right is worse but in dominance I use my right side for everything- how's that for irony...).

I do think over time my hearing might get worse but that isn't something I can predict either.

Redskins: my found out my insurance does not the external processor for CI OHIP the provincial insurance will cover the internal component and surgery.

Deafdyke:my left ear is worse than my right. I am trialing the superpowers and seeing how it goes

I'll be getting my first CI in February *happy dance*

I will never understand why a hearing aid is never really covered and a CI usually is... other than it being a medical procedure, but aside from that I don't get it. Counting my lucky stars though!

I do agree though that a CI is NOT a cure, and shouldn't be looked at as one. It's a tool to help guide us when a hearing aid can't anymore. It's a personal decision that should carefully be thought about because it's not a reversible thing.

Back