Insurance And Hearing Aids

DeafNerdMommy

Reaction score
So a week ago I fell ill from an unknown bug, didn't have time to go to the doctors, and had some ear pains. Also unknown if it was an infection or not. The pain randomly stopped after 2 days but my earing didn't get better like it normally does. So I went to my audie to get my earing aids turned up so I can hearing again. They maxed out my hearing aids and said I will need new one. Mine are 4 1/2 years old but my insurance said they need to be 5 years old to replace 1. I have to wait a half a year to get stronger hearing aids. :(
Anyways update on hearing test, I have moved from moderate/severe to bottom of severe top profound in the 90-100 dB HL range.

Sorry you had a bad week. Missed your presence, here on AD. You are at least lucky that your ins will pay for H/A. I have BC/BS and will not pay for H/A but, will cover CI. *sighs* They say that the hearing aids is just a "band aid" and not a "fix". F-them.

Can your audi loan you hearing aids for part of the time you're waiting for the time to pass? Are you feeling better now? Hope so !

^^ wondering the same. I know these days some insurances are paying for them now... used to be back in the 1990s there was one that was specific for hearing aids- Liberty or something like that. I have never had insurance that would pay for HAs...but have been lucky enough to have VR pay 3 times.

Isn't there a way maybe the audio and/or doc send a letter stating that you are in need because your hearing level has changed enough that the current pair is no longer functional for you?

I have just oregon health plan, a basic free insurance through my state because it is free. And I can't barrow HA, I wish. But next year, or rather 6 months I can useyou insurance and vocational rehab who well each pay for one HA. Oregon health plan doesn't pay for CI, because it is elective so we don't have a lot of people with them

^^ wondering the same. I know these days some insurances are paying for them now... used to be back in the 1990s there was one that was specific for hearing aids- Liberty or something like that. I have never had insurance that would pay for HAs...but have been lucky enough to have VR pay 3 times.

Isn't there a way maybe the audio and/or doc send a letter stating that you are in need because your hearing level has changed enough that the current pair is no longer functional for you?

They called and they said they didn't care, 5 years is 5 years

It sucks more that I am looking for a job but if my HA can't take the day to day abuse for the next 6 months I am screwed

It sucks more that I am looking for a job but if my HA can't take the day to day abuse for the next 6 months I am screwed
Do you wear one or two HA? If you wear two could you get by with wearing one and saving the other as back up ?

I'm sorry. I went through a similar process about 10 years ago. I ended up just paying for them myself. I bit the bullet and got a new pair just recently. It so sucks that insurance doesn't want to help.

Do you wear one or two HA? If you wear two could you get by with wearing one and saving the other as back up ?

Guessing but sounds like she has two. I don't think it's a good idea to go 6 months with just one hearing aid- doable but probably not a good idea. Had one friend whose doggie chewed up his hearing aid- he could not afford to get a new one (and put off going to VR the dumbass lol) so he went deaf for about 6 months as 1 ear is completely deaf anyway. For him he was luckier- he's around deaf people most of the time and also works in a mostly deaf environment. But he did say that it was quite jarring when he finally got a new one and is getting used to it again.

(alas-- I just broke the tone hook on one of mine- easy enough repair though)

I do wear 2 and I tried this morning to wear just one... my family doesn't want to talk anymore. My husband can sign but my parents and sister who I also live with don't. Anyways I could tell where the sound was coming from with just one HA.
My sister has started text me while standing next to me hahaha

I do wear 2 and I tried this morning to wear just one... my family doesn't want to talk anymore. My husband can sign but my parents and sister who I also live with don't. Anyways I could tell where the sound was coming from with just one HA.
My sister has started text me while standing next to me hahaha
LOL ! I should have my granddaughter do that with me b/c I have a hard time understanding her at time. I was thinking if you could get by with one HA and if it broke down you would still one to wear . I hope your HA hold out for the 5 months. Do you a have HA dehumidifier ?

I have the Dry n Store one. Used to have one where you had to heat up the beads in the jar in order for it to work. Pain in the ass but those are the cheapest. Dry n Store is well worth the money. Need to start using mine again now that it's summer time.

You can find them on Amazon now too lol
https://www.amazon.com/Zephyr-Dry-Store-Hearing-Dryer/dp/B001CNGUQC

The ones out now look different than the one I have.

For those of you wondering about insurance that covers HAs, I worked at an employer that had both Kaiser and United Health plans and both covered HAs. From what I remember they each offered about $3,500 every 3 yrs, this was about 3 yrs ago.

Basically it all depends on what plan they select through the carrier.... I have not had HA coverage before that or after unfortunately....

Back