Inked Interpreters

LydJune

Reaction score
Hey all,

I would like to become an interpreter, BUT

I have been weighing the pros and cons of getting a tattoo on the inside of my forearm--from my wrist to the crease in my elbow.

Would this tattoo pose as a problem in the job market? What about free lance interpreting?

Would the Deaf community find this offensive?

If I was willing to cover it up with makeup or a long-sleeve shirt, would that help?

I just would like some input please.

Just wear long sleeves. A black long sleeve shirt is a good interpreter uniform anyway.

I would not like an interpreter to have tattoos all over. I do not have tattoos (one on the ankle but that's not what we're talking about) and I would hate for the person that I am using the interpreter for to think that I hang out with an interpreter who does stuff. Okay... I said a mouthful there. Scratch that. What I mean by that... is people with tattoos are often stereotyped. As a person with no wild visible tattoos, I would hate for the client to reflect that I hang out with those stereotypes (I do as I don't care). I'm just trying to think from a "professional" perspective. I often deal with suits and I just wouldn't want my interpreter to come in looking punk as it would reflect poorly on me.

Spraying tan cover your tattoo arm.. hehe

sunless-tanning.jpg

No big deal for me as long as long sleeve that covers it. too many deaf peeps have it.

As you can see, most people that need an interpreter would prefer not to see a tattoo on the interpreter. Maybe a good idea to reconsider the location. Long sleeves might not be favorable under some conditions.

Hey, did anyone want my input?

If it's going to be tatto of car(s) with turbocharged engine, then don't cover them. Otherwise, do cover them.

If it's a kitty tattoo, fine by me. :lol:

Personally, I don't care one way or the other.

If it's a kitty tattoo, fine by me. :lol:

Personally, I don't care one way or the other.

You know... I remember when I was a young teenager. I have two much older brothers. I was around 13 when they were 20 and 21. My brother brought me over to a friend of his' house one day. We sat around and this real hairy guy was sitting there shirtless. He had on this huge lion on his chest. I remember asking him about it and he asked me... wanna see the tail?

:shock:

I saw and I'll never forget it.

I seriously doubt a small tattoo on the inside of your arm is going to be an issue, but if your arms look like Kat Von D's, then it probably would be an issue.

I had one interpreter, a guy that had tatts all over his neck and arms. Could not stand him, not because of his tatts, but his signing was crappy. Since his signing was crappy, and I was irritated, it took my focus away from what he was trying to say and I started analyzing everything about him, including his nasty teeth....then the rest of the class hour was shot.

My opinion: It all depends on how you look overall. If you are showing a lot of skin and/or tattoos, it will be distracting.

We want to be able to pay attention to what you are saying, and not get distracted by anything that stands out.

I remember asking him about it and he asked me... wanna see the tail?

I saw and I'll never forget it.

:lol:

Don't worry, I've been in the same boat....being gullible and getting caught in the middle of a joke.....

:lol:

Don't worry, I've been in the same boat....being gullible and getting caught in the middle of a joke.....

It wasn't a joke. He actually tattooed the tail on his thingamajig. It even had the puffy, furry ball on the mushroom part. Looked like a real tail flopping when he was "wagging" it and all.

:shock:

It's too hot to wear long sleeves all the time where I live.

Maybe the tattoo will limit the kinds of jobs you can aim for.

Maybe consider what kind of people or jobs you would want to interpret for.

Job interview? Mayor? President?
Can you outshine the other non-tattooed interpreters to get those jobs?

How can getting a tattoo contribute to your future?

It's too hot to wear long sleeves all the time where I live.

Maybe the tattoo will limit the kinds of jobs you can aim for.

Maybe consider what kind of people or jobs you would want to interpret for.

Job interview? Mayor? President?
Can you outshine the other non-tattooed interpreters to get those jobs?

How can getting a tattoo contribute to your future?

That is true....many employers are put off by visible tattoos, and will judge applicants based on their appearance.

Hey all,

I would like to become an interpreter, BUT

I have been weighing the pros and cons of getting a tattoo on the inside of my forearm--from my wrist to the crease in my elbow.

Would this tattoo pose as a problem in the job market? What about free lance interpreting?

Would the Deaf community find this offensive?

If I was willing to cover it up with makeup or a long-sleeve shirt, would that help?

I just would like some input please.

Wouldn't that be distracting? maybe on the ankle or something, but if it's on the wrist it might be distracting.

What I mean by that... is people with tattoos are often stereotyped. As a person with no wild visible tattoos, I would hate for the client to reflect that I hang out with those stereotypes (I do as I don't care). I'm just trying to think from a "professional" perspective.
The same hearing people who reject Deaf culture are also going to be judgmental about tats. A double whammy when they are of the "suit" mentality. Don't do it. A long sleeve black shirt is going to get boring after a while if you are of the tat mentality.

When an interpreter is on the job, the interpreter's appearance should be non-distracting. That means, not too sexy, unkempt, flashy, busy or unstylish. At the end of the assignment, the best things the clients can say about the terp is, "He was very professional, made me feel comfortable with the interpreting process, and was easy to understand; honestly, I don't remember what he was wearing." That means, the terp's appearance enhanced the interpreting experience without being so unusual as to be memorable. A terp is not on the job to express his or her personality. A terp represents the clients.

Many people wear suits, uniforms, or work gear that might be boring or personality stifling but they can wear whatever they want after working hours. I know terps who remove their piercings, tame their locks, and cover their tats during assignments, and then wear whatever during their free time. It's no big deal.

Honestly, I don't give a ****** about what the terp wears, about whether and how many tattoos he/she has, if she has long polished nails or not, if he or she wears jewelry, if she or he wears flashy clothing (as long as it's not ugly LOL), if he or she has an afro or wears her or his hair in dreads and is dyed wild colors, all I care about is his/her hands and his/her lips. Those two things are the only things I care about since they're what I focus the most on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm. Well I have tatoos on my arms and am going to interpreter school. I guess I'll have to wear long sleeves which is fine by me. I don't like living in hot climates anyway!

Back