inherited hearing loss

lavienrose

Reaction score
about two months ago, I woke up to find my hearing had suddenly dropped in my right ear. The doctors saw nothing was wrong- no infection or anything.

I was born with inherited moderate hearing loss in both ears. Can genetic hearing loss worsen over time or does it stay the same?
I'm confused why my hearing suddenly dropped without explanation. I don't listen to loud music or take medications..

Yes you can have a genetic progressive hearing loss. It is common.

Just keep in mind, it is not the end of the world, or life as you know it. My loss is considered inherited, but we don't know where I got it from. My kids got theirs from me. Daughter's has never changed, son's has progressed and gotten worse, mine had a "devastating end", but I don't find it devastating at all. I had another issue which caused the devastation.

about two months ago, I woke up to find my hearing had suddenly dropped in my right ear. The doctors saw nothing was wrong- no infection or anything.

I was born with inherited moderate hearing loss in both ears. Can genetic hearing loss worsen over time or does it stay the same?
I'm confused why my hearing suddenly dropped without explanation. I don't listen to loud music or take medications..

I was the same, every now and then my hearing would drop a step in one ear. My grandfather was much the same and my mother has a similar problem though not as bad as mine. Having talked about it with people it does seem to be fairly common, although to lose as much as I have is less common. :)

It is not the end of the world, it just changes how you live in it! :)

I was born HOH and the past year I been having trouble hearing with my right ear. Sounds are not as clear ,I was told this can happen when you get older. I can't use my right to talk on the phone anymore! :(

As such inheriting "genes-"hearing loss"- nothing one can do. I know I got mine from my father and have passed on to my older son who is almost 40 and has to use a Hearing aid. My youngest son doesn't.
It is sensorineural type of "loss".

As such inheriting "genes-"hearing loss"- nothing one can do. I know I got mine from my father and have passed on to my older son who is almost 40 and has to use a Hearing aid. My youngest son doesn't.

I have no idea where I got my hearing lost from. I am glad my daughter and her daughter did not inherit it from me. My dad was from Russia and if anyone in famliy was born HOH no one would had talk about the child . Dad's father had a brother no one knew about . I found this out on line. I wonder if my uncle was HOH , dad never said a word about him.

Same as in my husband's family, from his grandfather to his mother, on to him, and then to our daughter.

thanks for your answers:)

another question.. (or more less the same, hehe) If I was born with a great amount of hearing loss due to hereditary reasons, does it still progress over the years? I'm sure I took all of the inherited deafness...

My mother has perfect hearing and my father has severe hearing loss.

another question.. (or more less the same, hehe) If I was born with a great amount of hearing loss due to hereditary reasons, does it still progress over the years? I'm sure I took all of the inherited deafness...

My mother has perfect hearing and my father has severe hearing loss.

Sounds like you might be hoping/expecting that you will be a blend of the two parents. Sadly, it does not work that way. Good luck.

Why is it sad that she's losing her hearing? About 30% of pediatirc hearing loss is progressive. She was born HOH...it's not like she was hearing and lost her hearing. What IS sad is that she didn't get the ASL and Deaf training to view being deaf as just another thing, rather then being hearing impaired.

Why is it sad that she's losing her hearing? About 30% of pediatirc hearing loss is progressive. She was born HOH...it's not like she was hearing and lost her hearing. What IS sad is that she didn't get the ASL and Deaf training to view being deaf as just another thing, rather then being hearing impaired.

Well, regardless of her family, she had probably hoped to avoid this situation. It might not be the best choice in retrospect, but it is the hand she has been dealt. I was born full hearing, with no family history. I admit I was not thrilled with losing 95% in one ear and 40% in the other. I was more than just sad; I was deeply depressed.

I've been having fluctuating hearing in my right ear. One day i was just watching t.v. and all of the sudden there was the huge lack of noise, the actors on t.v. sounded like they were mumbling and then this horribly loud tinnitus hit; worst loud ringing noise i've ever heard. I threw my hand over my ear in shock afraid i had lost my hearing and after a few minutes it was back to normal, but there was a feeling of pressure in my ears like i was on a plane. Has anyone experienced this before?

I have really bad anxiety and I worry about things days on end. Sorry if I sound like i'm exaggerating .. It just frustrates me knowing that my hearing is going to get worse. And there's not much support for me around here; there's no classes that can teach me to lip-read and sign

If one lives in an area where there isn't much "support-Hearing Help classes/SpeechReading" check whether there on this computer.

I acknowledge I live in Toronto where the Canadian Hearing Society does have Hearing Help classes as well as ASL classes. However one must actually take what is being offered.

Keep in mind- it takes a "long time" to arrive at "deafness". I my case almost 50 years to become bilateral DEAF.

There appears to be much more available than a few years-ago.

Last edited:
Well, regardless of her family, she had probably hoped to avoid this situation. It might not be the best choice in retrospect, but it is the hand she has been dealt. I was born full hearing, with no family history. I admit I was not thrilled with losing 95% in one ear and 40% in the other. I was more than just sad; I was deeply depressed.

Yes, but aren't you late deafened? I can 100% understand greiving the loss of a sense if you're late deafened, but if you've always been HOH.....this just proves how audist our society is that a HOH person would grieve becoming deafer. I know a lot of HOH people who lost hearing and are just "oh, no big deal."

I have really bad anxiety and I worry about things days on end. Sorry if I sound like i'm exaggerating .. It just frustrates me knowing that my hearing is going to get worse. And there's not much support for me around here; there's no classes that can teach me to lip-read and sign

It's hard yes, but you adapt. That is what ASL and things like that are for......and are you saying that you can't lipread? There are adult camps (eg Christian) where you can immerse yourself in ASL....

Back