Informing people you read lips

ClearSky

Reaction score
I inform people when I need to read their lips if I have to. Some people are nice to inform others that I read lips normal. There are some people that when they see someone speaking to me, they whisper that I need to read lips or I can't hear and blah blah blah. They feel embarassed if I see them informing them of that.

I actually like it when they inform them in front of me because anyway I have to read lips. It also makes it comfortable when people inform in a comfortable tone because then other people take on the comfortable attitude of that person that they don't have to be so whispery and quiet about it.

What I mean is that there has been a few people that have turned uncomfortable when someone says, "she's deaf," then they stop talking to you or feel weird because I think "she's deaf" is not informing them anything better other than to fear you.

I mean, do they think we are we dumb to not tell that someone already informed that person that we are deaf :roll:?

I inform people when I need to read their lips if I have to. Some people are nice to inform others that I read lips normal. There are some people that when they see someone speaking to me, they whisper that I need to read lips or I can't hear and blah blah blah. They feel embarassed if I see them informing them of that.

I actually like it when they inform them in front of me because anyway I have to read lips. It also makes it comfortable when people inform in a comfortable tone because then other people take on the comfortable attitude of that person that they don't have to be so whispery and quiet about it.

What I mean is that there has been a few people that have turned uncomfortable when someone says, "she's deaf," then they stop talking to you or feel weird because I think "she's deaf" is not informing them anything better other than to fear you.

I mean, do they think we are we dumb to not tell that someone already informed that person that we are deaf :roll:?

If you tell people that you are deaf and you need to read lips, that gives them the impression that all deaf people read lips. Therefore, hearies will start to expect deafies to read lips.

The best thing to do is use paper and pencil to communicate.

If you tell people that you are deaf and you need to read lips, that gives them the impression that all deaf people read lips. Therefore, hearies will start to expect deafies to read lips.

If you can speech read, why not? That is like saying if you use a pen and paper to communicate hearing people will assume that no deaf people can speak. It is also like saying you shouldn't use ASL to communicate because then all hearing people think all deaf people sign. It is just no good logic.

I wish people didn't know I read lips because I just don't like to read lips =/ I'm the best lip reader I've ever met, but I just hate reading lips. That probably makes no sense at all.

I hate it when I tell people I read lips and they say, 'ok, what am I saying?' and mouth something as if I am a dog doing tricks!

I don't mind speech reading, but I don't go announcing it to everyone that I do it, as it's none of their business, just like if I wasn't wearing underwear, would I tell everyone that? Sheesh! :roll:

I don't mind speech reading, but I don't go announcing it to everyone that I do it, as it's none of their business, just like if I wasn't wearing underwear, would I tell everyone that? Sheesh! :roll:

:laugh2:

I wish people didn't know I read lips because I just don't like to read lips =/ I'm the best lip reader I've ever met, but I just hate reading lips. That probably makes no sense at all.

It makes sense cuz it requires exenstive mental work to constantly read lips therefore burning us out faster. I hate to read lips and that hatred grew even more after I learned ASL and realized that I didnt have to constantly mentally figure out what everyone is saying.

I am like Deafdave..I dont mention it right away..I want to see if I can understand the speaker well enough first. If I do, then no need to mention it.

I am like Deafdave..I dont mention it right away..I want to see if I can understand the speaker well enough first. If I do, then no need to mention it.

Same here ... I wait and then I start to answer, then they realize that I am deaf with a "German" deaf accent.

Actually, it's the opposite. People think everyone who is deaf signs all the time. I have never met anyone wonder why other deaf people don't read lips or have any "hmm!, I wonder why the deaf don't read lips as well." They understand that it is MY way of communicating with them.

I don't need you telling me how I should go about communicating with people. I don't have a problem reading lips. I don't need your arrogance. I don't have a problem with the way you go about conducting your way to communicate, so don't tell me how I should do mine.

I agree with JennyB, it's the same if the opposite occurred.

I don't tell people around that I read lips. I don't even tell them UNTIL it's necessary. The thing it's nice about people when they tell others for me that I have to face them to communicate seems very polite and nice of them to do so. When people tell others in a comfortable normal attitude, other people adopt the attitude that it's okay to be normal.

What bothers me is when certain people try to say to another individual secretly like "she's deaf," "she can't hear," "she reads lips" trying so without me noticing because I notice that this causes other people to act uncomfortable as they are telling them secretly like it's an embarrassement, which is not.

Everyone's experience is different. That thing where people say, "what am I saying now?" used to happen when I was younger. I didn't know why people asked me that until I found out that hearing people don't read lips like me. They just think it's fascinating, but I understand that it becomes annoying when it's done too often.

The beauty is to appreciate everyone's differences. Adopt what works for you because not everyone's the same. Deaf people are not the same as another individual.

I hate it when I tell people I read lips and they say, 'ok, what am I saying?' and mouth something as if I am a dog doing tricks!

same here....but I sometimes like to prove it to them that I can read lips and it's achually something not everyone can do.

Actually, it's the opposite. People think everyone who is deaf signs all the time. I have never met anyone wonder why other deaf people don't read lips or have any "hmm!, I wonder why the deaf don't read lips as well." They understand that it is MY way of communicating with them.

I don't need you telling me how I should go about communicating with people. I don't have a problem reading lips. I don't need your arrogance. I don't have a problem with the way you go about conducting your way to communicate, so don't tell me how I should do mine.

I agree with JennyB, it's the same if the opposite occurred.

I don't tell people around that I read lips. I don't even tell them UNTIL it's necessary. The thing it's nice about people when they tell others for me that I have to face them to communicate seems very polite and nice of them to do so. When people tell others in a comfortable normal attitude, other people adopt the attitude that it's okay to be normal.

What bothers me is when certain people try to say to another individual secretly like "she's deaf," "she can't hear," "she reads lips" trying so without me noticing because I notice that this causes other people to act uncomfortable as they are telling them secretly like it's an embarrassement, which is not.

Everyone's experience is different. That thing where people say, "what am I saying now?" used to happen when I was younger. I didn't know why people asked me that until I found out that hearing people don't read lips like me. They just think it's fascinating, but I understand that it becomes annoying when it's done too often.

The beauty is to appreciate everyone's differences. Adopt what works for you because not everyone's the same. Deaf people are not the same as another individual.

I left you alone. Why are you continuing to harrass me?

Sometimes I try not to say anything about having to lip read.I try eye to eye contact the minute the person hears me speak and watching my eyes then everything becomes different :roll:

I left you alone. Why are you continuing to harrass me?

Harrassing you? I hope you ARE exagerating.

I was offended that you told me to use pen and paper to communicate, so I felt the need to respond to your offending comment in case you didn't notice that your comment was arrogant as of itself.

Thank you.

Harrassing you? I hope you ARE exagerating.

I was offended that you told me to use pen and paper to communicate, so I felt the need to respond to your offending comment in case you didn't notice that your comment was arrogant as of itself.

Thank you.

Pen and Paper > Lipreading for 100% solid communication.

Why re u worrying about what others think of you? If you feel u can understand hearings by lipreading then power to you.

I hate to lipread because of confusion or missing words. I use my sk3 to communicate with hearings whenever I dont have pen/paper presented.

Back