informations about c.i.

Alex, can you edit the first post in this thread to trim the longer line at bottom of the first post.. because it goes off the browser window making all other post wider than my browser window forcing me to scroll sideway.. :D just trim it to match the first line at top of the first post.

Thanks!

On level...how? Are they bilingal or oral only? Are they middle class or from various and sundry economic classes? Are there any kids with CI who have Mediciad as their primary insurance? I don't deny that there are CI oral-only sucesses but I am wondering if it has more to do with class (rich and middle class people can afford to spend more money on things like oral schools, best hearing aids, private speech teachers and so on) I mean some deaf/hoh kids don't even have insurance or only have Medicaid! I know research has clearly shown that class is linked to educational acheivement.

Actually this young lady I am referring too is on Medicaid, and is in the lower income bracket. She has a terrific mother who became an interpreter and has been raised TC. She does sign, but has speech that is good enough to communicate with other EASILY. She also hears everything we say in class, and eavesdrops a lot, which I don't mind, I think it is cool she can.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 3 year old was getting VERY fustrated because he could not tell us what he wants.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's why I support ASL/Sign for even kids who only have unilateral loss or kids with only mild losses.

If you had cut and pasted my whole statement, I believe I wrote that I am using sign with my 3 year old. However I am using SEE2 with him.

....Not all culturally Deaf folks are radical extremist anti-hearing world
I do agree, that not every culturally deaf person is a radical extremist, but it only takes ONE to turn off a hearing parent of a deaf child. It only takes one and that one is remembered highly over the others. I personally was attacked by a deaf mother of a deaf son for getting a CI for my child. I do have other deaf friends who have been supportive...and I have had a hearing family member who wasn't. NO one has the right to say what a parent should do in regards to what they think is best for their child.

That is awesome that she's done so well! I really do think the key to sucess is parental involvement.
She does sign, but has speech that is good enough to communicate with other EASILY.
I wish some of the "Sign is a crutch and TC/Bi-Bi doesn't work" audist pro-oral at every and any cost whiners" could meet your student. Personally I think that the CI will increase the numbers of truely bilingal (ASL and English) Deaf, rather then wiping out Deaf culture.
I really do think that the end goal of every single D/deaf and hoh child's IEP should be to ensure that they are fluent in both Sign and Spoken and Written English.
but it only takes ONE to turn off a hearing parent of a deaf child. It only takes one and that one is remembered highly over the others. I personally was attacked by a deaf mother of a deaf son for getting a CI for my child. I do have other deaf friends who have been supportive...and I have had a hearing family member who wasn't. NO one has the right to say what a parent should do in regards to what they think is best for their child.
I understand...Still I wish more hearing parents were more understanding in that they understood that the extremists represent only a very tiny minority. That's like deciding to not attend a libral church b/c of the rabid rantings of Christian Idenity neo-Nazis, or thinking that ALL Muslims are evil terrorists b/c of the sitution in the Mid-East, or thinking that ALL feminists are manhaters who want to perform Lorena Bobbits on all men.
Personally, I think eventually CIs will pretty much be accepted by Deafies, and acceptence of CI is slowly but surely coming along.
A lot of Deaf people...hey, even a lot of HEARING people have never heard of auditory nereopathy(I consider myself VERY well-read and had never heard of it until a couple of years ago) and don't understand that CIs are sometimes the only option. Besides, way back when hearing aids first became available, a lot of Deafies thought that hearing aids would wipe out Deaf Culture. I think both people on both sides of the debate need to realize and reconize that the hearing world and the deaf world both have its' advantages and disadvantages and that neither world is better or worse then another. They are EQUAL!
You're right that no one has the right to say what a parent should do in regards to what they think is best for a child, but in terms of disabilty I disagree, b/c so many parents were never really exposed to disabilty while growing up. Even if they were they were trained to see it as "bad" ( eg. Oh the poor wittle cwippled children they can't walk or have anything remotely resembeling a "normal" life) and to view able-bodiedness/functioning somewhat akin to an a/b as good, wonderful and all the highest ultimate goal for a disabled adult. Lots of parents are told to "listen to the experts on the subject" and not really listen to people who have actually experianced growing up with a disabilty! I do think that many of us who have lived the experiance can give very valuable information to parents. I really do wish that when I was dx, my parents could have heard some real-life stories and met real live hoh adults who could tell them the ups and downs of living life as a hoh adult and the ups and downs of each commuication methodoligy instead of automaticlly listening to the experts view on things.(who very often sugarcoat the disadvantages of oral commuication. Look at some of the sites listing commuication options for deaf/hoh kids. Most of the time very few disadvantages are listed for the oral-aural option. (eg increased temper tantrums, "ADD", money issues and so on.) Oral-aural and auditory verbal are presented as the PERFECT ULTIMATE choice for deaf/hoh kids! (I actually remember reading somewhere that the only disadvantage to A/V was that it wasn't available in lots of places!)
I wish my parents had known to use ASL with me instead of automaticlly assuming that b/c I am hoh I must have more in common with hearing people then with deaf people! It would have made my life so much easier, and I would not have felt so damn alone and like a freak. ( I was raised under the audist asslimation method.."Deafdyke is more hearing then deaf, so she should not need exposure to deaf/hoh adults, deaf/hoh peers (I remember when I was in elementary school thinking that I was the only one in the ENTIRE world who was deaf/hoh!)

If you wait till they are old enough to make their own choice, they do not work so well. The younger a child, the more apt to learn sound. If you were born blind, and there was an operation that would give you sight, would you want your parents to go ahead?

QUOTE=Sabrina]I removed make no sense previously message....from his quote...

toddler's brain plasticity is such that they pick up things/learn much much quicker, esp as it relates to spoken language.

:sure: Thier speak sounds like a monkey like I do... They always speak as Deaf voice !!

The children should wait until they become older to make their own choices. It is their bodies. It is not emergency to do surgery their metal head with device stuck with wire on their adorable heads.

:madfawk: Medical society oppressed to the parents !![/QUOTE]

If you wait till they are old enough to make their own choice, they do not work so well. The younger a child, the more apt to learn sound.
In a way kids can wait until they are old enough to decide. They are stricter on kids qualifing for CI then they are for adults. The ceiling for a kid I think is around 20% or below...the ceiling for adults is something like 60%.
I do think that if a kid is getting a lot of benifit from aids, but is qualified for the CI based on their unaided audiogram, that the parents should WAIT until at least the kid's in adolescence to choose so that the child and parents can decide together!!!!!
I also think that the kids should grow up with BOTH ASL and English....certainly the CI improves hearing in many people, but as we all know, results have varied tremendously with CI. Even over at Hearing Exchange, they admit that not everyone hears at hard of hearing levels with CIs and results vary tremendously! (and for the lurkers...I'm not talking about the late-implanted deafies...there are still kids who are oral failures even with a CI) Research has shown that even most oral sucesses have trouble with the syntax and "meat and potatos" of English. (eg saying "how many spiders have legs?" instead of "how many legs do spiders have?") (and to a certain lurker who wonders why kids with CIs are still in oral schools as teens, the reason is that they still haven't totally mastered LANGAUGE!!!!!!!)
Raising deaf and hoh kids with both ASL and English would give the children a CHOICE as how to commuicate. I know far far far far too many oral kids who resent not having grown up with ASL as an option.
If you were born blind, and there was an operation that would give you sight, would you want your parents to go ahead?
No I would not. I believe that disabilty is simply a difference and doesn't need to be cured. People can adapt to disabilty...disabilty is just like blue eyes or hair color. I don't trust a lot of parents to make decisions about disabilty for their kids, b/c too many parents grew up seeing disabilty as "bad" or horrible or a complete tragedy....most of them don't really see it as just a difference.
Parents need to realize that they shouldn't make permanent decisions about their kids, but they should simply give their kids all the opertunties possible....give them hearing aids and CIs, work on speech and auditory training but also don't forget ASL and Deaf culture. Oralist experts think that deaf kids will be more better off as hoh kids, but there's absolutly positively no evidence that hoh kids achive more then deaf kids.

Back