Info on STEM CELLS from scientific source

I will post links showing that the energy of sounds/speech is equally, if not more important. I now understand how my dad understands so much speech. Experments have been done on people with a similar high frequency loss as my dad and they score similar to what my dad does.

One experiment used a lowpass filter and speech scores decreased less than 5% all the way down to 1000Hz then there was a big drop at 750Hz and another big drop at 500Hz. The subjects were fully hearing and could understand speech fine(way, way better than CI) as long as they can hear to 1000Hz.

Another experiment showed that having normal hearing at just the low frequencies with no hearing above 1000Hz was better than a severe hearing loss across the audiogram. That's because with a severe loss, you are getting some distortion for all speech sounds. With normal hearing to 1000Hz and no hearing above, you are getting excellent clarity of speech sounds to 1000Hz. It is easier to fill in the blanks on the consonants you don't hear than it's to try to guess what word you are hearing when it sounds almost like gibberish or when several words sound the same. I will post more about this in the speech thread.

1257970909035461000.jpg

You can see that speech scores stay high till you drop down to 500Hz. My speech is low because I don't have enough residual hearing above 500Hz and I don't have normal hearing at any frequency, even at 250Hz my HL is 70db. If stem cells got my hearing to around 15db at 500Hz but didn't improve my hearing at all above 500Hz, my speech scores would shoot up like a rocket! I know people who have normal or near normal hearing up to 500Hz and severe-profound hearing at 750Hz or 1000Hz and up who can understand a high percentage of speech and use phones as well as those with CI can.

Also, I will need a very good reason for a refusal to get me to 0db if it's possible to begin with. It's like not correcting someone to 20/20 with glasses unless there's a very good reason. I talked to someone with the 2nd best CI result that ive seen and she's at 0db in one frequency and at 5db in a few other frequencies. She says her audiologist programmed her CI according to how much she choose to hear. This also caused her to understand speech better than the vast majority of those with CI. I do want to note that for most people, it's not even possible to get to 5db. They are able to get to around 30db and if their CI is programmed for more, they still hear at 30db. I will do the same when getting my HAs programmed as I choose to hear the best possible. How well I hear with HAs has to do with how much residual hearing I have after stem cells plus the 70db gain my HAs can dish out.

She has the right to choose stem cells. This is what I am choosing and the wait isn't much longer! CI is terrible for some people and excellent for some people. Don't let her put you down for your CI choice. Try discussing why you got CI with her and how much you hear with CI. If she hears with HAs better than you hear with CI, perhaps she doesn't need to spend tens of thousands on stem cells? But if she still wants stem cells, it's her choice and money and I respect this.

Of course, but I wasn't pushing her into CI at all. I cared less. It just bothers that she thinks I'm being denial about CI quality. mind you, my family thinks I do better (except the noisy environment) and they still struggle with my older sister.

I can understand people who are from Deaf community, the ones who rely on ASL only and no technologies to be anti-CI

But I can't understand people like her. She loves her hearing aids and hearing world Even she does know Sign Language now and was involve with the deaf community for awhile (while she criticize their writing, they write in a ASL format. She thinks the schooling is messed up), She still use her hearing aids for everything. She even want to be cure using stem cells... but she does NOT want CI and that's what I don't understand.
Anyway, I don't ever see her because she lives about 3 or 4 states from me so I don't ever see her. In fact, I haven't seen her for about 4 or 5 years.(no we are not mad at each other. It is just too expensive for either of us to travel)

Deafdude,

I don't understand. Are you saying the research is wrong because your dad understands speech? Where is audiogram? What was his speech discrim score? Or better yet, where did he get his doctorate in audiology?

Please re-read the above post and look at the picture I showed you which I got from a research website. It has nothing to do with my dad and everything to do with normal hearing in most frequencies. This is a stem cell thread, ill discuss speech scores further in my speech thread.

Of course, but I wasn't pushing her into CI at all. I cared less. It just bothers that she thinks I'm being denial about CI quality. mind you, my family thinks I do better (except the noisy environment) and they still struggle with my older sister.

I can understand people who are from Deaf community, the ones who rely on ASL only and no technologies to be anti-CI

But I can't understand people like her. She loves her hearing aids and hearing world Even she does know Sign Language now and was involve with the deaf community for awhile (while she criticize their writing, they write in a ASL format. She thinks the schooling is messed up), She still use her hearing aids for everything. She even want to be cure using stem cells... but she does NOT want CI and that's what I don't understand.
Anyway, I don't ever see her because she lives about 3 or 4 states from me so I don't ever see her. In fact, I haven't seen her for about 4 or 5 years.(no we are not mad at each other. It is just too expensive for either of us to travel)

What is her degree of hearing loss and yours? Chances are you hear with CI better than she does with HA. If she does great with HA, she isn't a CI candidate anyway. This could be a reason why she's against CI and pro HA and pro stem cells. Another reason is she's saving her ears for something better than CI. I don't want CI either for much of the same reasons but respect those who made the choice(but not forced) into CI. Did you know about stem cells when you got CI? Would your choice be different if you did? I didn't know much about CI till 2008 and by then, there was talk about stem cells. I am happy for those with excellent CI results. She does not belong in Deaf community. I know I don't and have never been involved because I won't fit in.

yes I did, and I really didn't care. My thought process is that if they can do it, they can undo the damage that cochlear Implant as well. I just know that I am not getting younger and I have a kid.

She is severe Hard of hearing as I am. believe it or not, we are almost the same level (our hearing test always seem a little similar to each other)

No,she is just plain anti-CI and doesn't have a real reason why. I know my sister and her thought process. I believe that if the stem cell did come out, she would be anti-stem cell -- would find everything negative about it.

"Fat derived stem cells were injected into three patients with multiple sclerosis. One of these had hearing loss. The report from the Journal of Translational Medicine reported that

"Two months after the stem cell therapy, the volume of his hearing aids had to be lowered once per week over 4 weeks."
Bear in mind that MS can cause hearing loss. MS (and associated complications) is an autoimmune condition, so of COURSE would respond well to stem cell therapy.
That doesn't mean that someone without an autoimmune caused loss would respond the same way.

Bear in mind that MS can cause hearing loss. MS (and associated complications) is an autoimmune condition, so of COURSE would respond well to stem cell therapy.
That doesn't mean that someone without an autoimmune caused loss would respond the same way.

True. People are looking at the whole picture, though. They are getting too excited about the remote possibilities.

Yes, stem cells are going to be most helpful with autoimmune conditions. Like the same conditions where they use a bone marrow transplant to cure or treat the condition, will respond to stem cell therapy.

Back