Info on STEM CELLS from scientific source

Pretty much a fact that in the field of stem cells clinical research for hearing loss continues to grow every year as key questions get answered and get closer to a true application model on treating hearing loss.

I'd say 5 to 10 years away but then again the stem cells research is moving quite rapidly it'd be tricky to even try and predict at this time. A breakthrough could happen well before the 5 year mark in another country we're not aware of. Who knows? Already getting ready for a phase II trial to apply stem cells to damaged and failing hearts when previous trials showed a 30% improvement....a life saver...enough to get off the heart transplant list. And that's only one example out of the many stem cells successes and gains in stem cells knowledge.

Many elderly people worldwide lose the neurosensory part of their ear and turn deaf.
Actually I can't believe I'm the first person to point this out, but the first article is about ELDERLY/ late deafened folks.
The population is different from early/ congentially deafened folks.
Elderly people would be the ones to benifit right off the bat.

This is the HA and CI forum, please post in the correct forums! Im leaving this one here so you guys will understand that STEM CELL news needs to be posted in The Deaf News Forum, PLEASE and THANK YOU ahead of time.

CBE

This is the HA and CI forum, please post in the correct forums! Im leaving this one here so you guys will understand that STEM CELL news needs to be posted in The Deaf News Forum, PLEASE and THANK YOU ahead of time.

CBE

Shouldn't it really go in Health,Lifestyle,Fitness, or a Science forum if we had one.

Stem cells are far from only being deaf news. Cancer, blindness, and other uses are hoped for stem cells.

Shouldn't it really go in Health,Lifestyle,Fitness, or a Science forum if we had one.

Stem cells are far from only being deaf news. Cancer, blindness, and other uses are hoped for stem cells.

Ding-ding! We got someone who is being logical!

Ok. Why is it ok for a cure for blindness but not for deafness? Sounds very elitist and selfish to me.

Ok. Why is it ok for a cure for blindness but not for deafness? Sounds very elitist and selfish to me.

Where did it say it's not okay as a treatment for deafness? The problem is that this is not specific to deafness, but rather a broad overview for every medical purposes out there.

For future reference, use "treatment," not "cure." That way you won't fall flat on your face if it doesn't pan out to be complete restoration.

Where did it say it's not okay as a treatment for deafness? The problem is that this is not specific to deafness, but rather a broad overview for every medical purposes out there.

For future reference, use "treatment," not "cure." That way you won't fall flat on your face if it doesn't pan out to be complete restoration.

I'll say "cure" because it is a matter of when and not if. We have that knowledge to develop and learn over time how these things work. Fifty years ago if you told people that people with hearing loss will be able to hear (not cure) with the help of electronic devices in their "ear" I'm sure they'd laugh at you. What would people say to me if I say that a cure 25 years from now with the help of biotechnology such as stem cells that will restore completely the loss nerves in the cochlea to allow a person to hear fully the full spectrum of sound?

I'll say "cure". Are you going to laugh at me now seeing how much stem cells research has progressed in under 10 years so far? Not worrying about falling on my face. Leave that one for me to worry, not you.

Still won't cure deafness because it appears in many forms. It's plausible that it will cure some, but not all.

So "treatment" is still a better word.

Still won't cure deafness because it appears in many forms. It's plausible that it will cure some, but not all.

So "treatment" is still a better word.

I meant in the specifics of sensorineural hearing loss which deals with nerve deafness.

Ok. Why is it ok for a cure for blindness
Pounds head against concrete wall. The cure for blindness is for AQUIRRED blindness.......not early or born with blindness.
I do understand what the folks who aquired a disabilty after being hearing or sighted or whatever go through. It's FINE to find a cure for them.
They are indeed "hearing or sighted impaired" (instead of dhh or blind/low vision)

Pounds head against concrete wall. The cure for blindness is for AQUIRRED blindness.......not early or born with blindness.
I do understand what the folks who aquired a disabilty after being hearing or sighted or whatever go through. It's FINE to find a cure for them.
They are indeed "hearing or sighted impaired" (instead of dhh or blind/low vision)

*pounds head*

It already apparent there are a variety and types of blindness which includes low vision. No arguments from me on that one.

Infant born blind, depending on the kind, could in fact benefit from stem cells, gene therapy or other kind of biomedicine someday that would restore an infant vision is not out of the realm of impossibility. It could very well be done in-utero while the baby is in the womb just as they have done with spina bifada then anything would possible into the future that we'd never have even dared to think on a much smaller scale.
Physicians For Life - Abstinence, Abortion, Birth Control - Spina Bifida Surgery While in Utero

Leber congenital amaurosis is a rare genetic disease that causes near-total blindness during infancy, and a similar disease occurs in dogs. In 2001 scientists used gene therapy to restore the sight of a blind dog. Afterwards, sight tests indicated that the treated eyes were as good as the eyes of normal dogs. As revealed on video, the dogs avoided bumping into obstacles placed on the same side as the treated eye. This study provides hope that correction of human LCA is feasible.
Acland GM, Aguirre GD, Ray J et al (2001) Gene therapy restores vision in a canine model of childhood blindness Nature Genetics 28, 92

There, now you are not using absolute words and phrases.

Though that does not preclude other forms of deafness that could face the likelihood of a cure someday, too. It'd be silly to compare medical advancements that happened 50 years ago to what we'll face 50 years from now.

Though that does not preclude other forms of deafness that could face the likelihood of a cure someday, too. It'd be silly to compare medical advancements that happened 50 years ago to what we'll face 50 years from now.

For now, it will remain something of Jules Verne's, HG Wells's or Michael Crichton's worlds. And even after so many decades after the death of those authors, not all of their writings and ideas have come through yet.

For now, it will remain something of Jules Verne's, HG Wells's or Michael Crichton's worlds. And even after so many decades after the death of those authors, not all of their writings and ideas have come through yet.

Jules Verne:
Well, journey to the center of the Earth is physically impossible. Physics says so. Although using nuclear reaction in creating a "meltdown" perhaps you could bore a hold straight down...if it's big enough. Anybody dumb enough to try that?

Earth to moon. Done.

Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea? A league is 3 nautical miles or 3.45 miles where 20,000 leagues = 5797 miles. Surface of Earth to core is 3975 miles). Impossible. You'd shoot out into orbit on the other side of the globe.

Mysterious Island? What Island?

Around the world in 80 days? Done except man can go around in earth in a spacecraft 108 times in 7 days.

Jules Verne:
Well, journey to the center of the Earth is physically impossible. Physics says so. Although using nuclear reaction in creating a "meltdown" perhaps you could bore a hold straight down...if it's big enough. Anybody dumb enough to try that?

Earth to moon. Done.

Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea? A league is 3 nautical miles or 3.45 miles where 20,000 leagues = 5797 miles. Surface of Earth to core is 3975 miles). Impossible. You'd shoot out into orbit on the other side of the globe.

Mysterious Island? What Island?

Around the world in 80 days? Done except man can go around in earth in a spacecraft 108 times in 7 days.

You just proved my point AGAIN. Many of what science fiction authors write are plausible. Except what they wrote didn't come until many decades later. But while many of their ideas have become reality, many others have not or have yet to come.

Back