Inferior hearing test equipment?

BML

Reaction score
When I had my first hearing test many years ago I was placed in a sound proof room with a set of earphones and sounds were played through them upon which I pressed a button. From tis a graph was constructed showing the problems in the various frequency levels.
Now I sit in the same room next to the audiologist who sticks a pair of headphones on me and I think that I either raise my hand on hearing the buzzer or raise my hand.
Surely the current method can not be as accurate?

Why would you think it's not accurate? As long as you indicate you heard the sound and the audiologist records this, it should be accurate.

Really, LoveBlue? Really?
I have an appointment with the same audi from just a couple years ago.
Epic fail as far as results go.
THIS time it will be different.

Sorry to make you sad but it is difficult. I happen to love trains. Just so you know.t I still love trains. The last time I was in a train station, my dad was there. He thought so. He wasn't.

Surely the current method can not be as accurate? That's a simple question how about attempting to answer it?

Well, I've been known to push the button even when what I'm hearing is tinnitus and not a tone so would you say using the button is accurate in that case?

I, too, asked a simple question. WHY do you think the current method is not as accurate?

When I had my original hearing assessment I finished up with a printout showing the level of hearing loss in a number of frequencies from which the Audiologist was able to determine that my deafness was indicative a a Tank Crewman which I was. In fact I was a gunner which meant in those days I was in a restricted box made of steel along side a 20 pounder main armament and a Browning machine gun with noise levels very close to 200 Db. In those days real men wore no hearing protection!

When I had my original hearing assessment I finished up with a printout showing the level of hearing loss in a number of frequencies from which the Audiologist was able to determine that my deafness was indicative a a Tank Crewman which I was. In fact I was a gunner which meant in those days I was in a restricted box made of steel along side a 20 pounder main armament and a Browning machine gun with noise levels very close to 200 Db. In those days real men wore no hearing protection!
My father was a tank driver. I thought my loss was hereditary, until my mother told me otherwise. Now I think the progressive loss has something to do with mild CP. I no longer ask why--just accept it.

The way headphones have changed over the years is the soundproof booth really as necessary? I would think by raising a finger or the whole hand the same data can be collected as pushing a button.

I just had a discussion with my eldest son who made it very clear that having a conversation with me is very difficult and he asked me, "Is there not a more effective hearing aid than the one I currently use?" My current hearing aid is a digital one. I told him, "When I'm watching TV without using the Induction loop that I have although I can hear the talking I can't understand a single word but when I switch my Induction loop on I can every word." He replied, Surely there must be a hearing aid that could operate the same way?"
So, now I'm on a quest to seek answers to the above questions but where will I find them?

Streaming, either via induction loop or a steamer (like Phonak's ComPilot) is always better because the sound goes straight to your HA and ears w/o passing through air (the further the distance it passes through, the hard it is to understand). Plus it, generally, does not pick up other sounds.

I would very much like to know more about "Streaming" and where it fits into Hearing aid technology.

I feel like they should do 2 tests. One in a booth to show absolute loss and one with a standardized set of noises to determine functional individualized hearing. That booth is not real life. There's a big difference between what you hear with nothing around and what you would hear in a crowded restaurant.

I feel like they should do 2 tests. One in a booth to show absolute loss and one with a standardized set of noises to determine functional individualized hearing. That booth is not real life. There's a big difference between what you hear with nothing around and what you would hear in a crowded restaurant.
Yes, but the primary purpose of a booth test (for HAs anyway) is to measure dB loss. You cannot get an accurate dB reading in a noise environment. Only what you hear unaided. It's different than CI testing or testing what you get aided.

Back