In Between two Worlds……

Rob-N

Reaction score
Greetings!

Being in between, both the Hearing World and the Hard-of-Hearing World, is VERY interesting.

I am entering further the world of the Hard-of-Hearing but for now, I am stuck in the middle. In this life altering transition, I have an opportunity to experience life in a whole new way.

Change is constant as most people are aware of, in my case, my hearing loss has been s l o w l y picking-up speed. This has caused me to fall behind in the hearing world. Due to this recent increase in hearing loss, I am reaching out to you today.

I am reaching out to all who may be experiencing this struggle…. and for all of those who have gone before ….

Rob-N

:wave: Hi ! I hope your family and friends are being supported to you while you go through this .

There are a lot of AD members who are late deafened...lost their hearing overnight....(I was 1)...You can go thru the phases of it all...it's not easy.

Welcome! I was born hard of hearing but it got worse after a bad mold was fitted for my right ear back in 2008. My hearing worsened very quickly! :)

Welcome! I was born hard of hearing but it got worse after a bad mold was fitted for my right ear back in 2008. My hearing worsened very quickly! :)
Sorry but earmold doesn't cause hearing loss. Purely coincidence

:wave: Hi ! I hope your family and friends are being supported to you while you go through this .

Thank you, whatdidyousay! After spending some time reading through the many posted threads, it appears
this site lends itself to supporting the Deaf and Hard of Hearing..... I will look here for support.... or at least find understanding.

Rob-N

There are a lot of AD members who are late deafened...lost their hearing overnight....(I was 1)...You can go thru the phases of it all...it's not easy.

Hello "rockin'robin"......Thank you for your reply.

Your response has me wanting to know more about you and the phases you wrote about.

Have you posted your story?

Please reply.
Rob-N

It's not easy....... and I feel, in comparison to others, that I have only just begun .... Until I am able to find local support, I will look here for assistance.

Sorry but earmold doesn't cause hearing loss. Purely coincidence
I had just moved at that time and I was always fit with a softer mold at school. The new place fit me with a hard mold, and that led to an ear infection. I guess you could say the ear infection caused the hearing loss, but the ear infection was caused by the bad mold.

Welcome! The transition is definitely an interesting one.
There is a thread for late deafened members. You should check it out!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I grew up with my hearing gradually changing over time. Now in my 40s its happening again. Change, good or bad, is always challenging. That is why I'm also here. I look at it like this: This is the hand I was dealt. I have support and understanding from family and my real friends. So far this place has been great too. It could be worse. I'm not alone, I'm healthy, and my family is healthy. Alot of people have it worse than I do. That's how I cope. You'll be fine as long as you reach out

I am accepting whole heartily of this new life.....

Greetings Geoff, Thank You for responding.

Our experiences appear to be very similar in nature.

I have s l o w l y transitioning from the hearing world into the world of the Hard-of-Hearing. This process has me between two worlds. I am accepting whole heartily of this new life, and the style that comes along with it.

While I search for local support, I have begun to reach-out to the people I come into contact with regularly to let them know of the challenges that I face and have faced for a lifetime.

Rob-N

I am “surviving” in the hearing world although I struggle....

I am “surviving” in the hearing world although I struggle as a person who has a lot of difficulty hearing speech. Due to falling behind in class, recently I have begun verbalizing my challenges, on an individual bases, to both students and the instructor.

Not wanting to be accused of “ignoring” the instructions and corrections that are being announced aloud in class, I held a meeting with my instructor; stating that I have difficulty hearing and that my responses may be delayed or the instruction was not understood. My classmate was surprised to find that I struggle even though I wear hearing aids. It is the hearing aids that have allowed me to focus and cope in class and they make class possible but it does not solve the underlying problem of my inability to hear and process speech quickly and easily.

I feared that this difficulty would not be recognized and I took a chance that no change or adjustment would come as a result of my struggle. The long term outcome has not been reached, the results are still in the early stages.

Rob-N

I am accepting whole heartily of this new life....

I grew up with my hearing gradually changing over time. Now in my 40s its happening again. Change, good or bad, is always challenging. That is why I'm also here. I look at it like this: This is the hand I was dealt. I have support and understanding from family and my real friends. So far this place has been great too. It could be worse. I'm not alone, I'm healthy, and my family is healthy. Alot of people have it worse than I do. That's how I cope. You'll be fine as long as you reach out

Greetings Geoff, thank you for responding.

Our experiences appear to be very similar in nature.

I am s l o w l y transitioning from the hearing world into the world of the Hard-of-Hearing. This process has me between two worlds. I am accepting whole heartily of this new life, and the style that comes along with it.

While I search for local support, I have begun to reach-out to the people I come into contact with regularly to let them know of the challenges that I face and have faced for a lifetime.

Rob-N

One thing I do like about my hearing is that I do know who my real friends are and those who do try to understand me. I've learned who are my friends and who just acts like a friend. It can be a great filter. Here are some bright sides to look at for being deaf. 1. If you like to read you can with very little distraction. 2 want to take a nap one afternoon? I take my hearing aids out and no one's lawnmower or dog bothers me. 3. I can read lips really well and when I was younger I knew what women across the bar was saying about my buddies and me. 4. When I go to Dragon Con I get a great seat up front on the panels so I can hear. I just show them my pass. Always look at the pros.

I am “surviving” in the hearing world although I struggle as a person who has a lot of difficulty hearing speech. Due to falling behind in class, recently I have begun verbalizing my challenges, on an individual bases, to both students and the instructor.

Not wanting to be accused of “ignoring” the instructions and corrections that are being announced aloud in class, I held a meeting with my instructor; stating that I have difficulty hearing and that my responses may be delayed or the instruction was not understood. My classmate was surprised to find that I struggle even though I wear hearing aids. It is the hearing aids that have allowed me to focus and cope in class and they make class possible but it does not solve the underlying problem of my inability to hear and process speech quickly and easily.

I feared that this difficulty would not be recognized and I took a chance that no change or adjustment would come as a result of my struggle. The long term outcome has not been reached, the results are still in the early stages.

Rob-N
I have a team leader at work like that. Though she means well she doesn't understand what it's like not to hear. She thinks I just need to turn up my hearing aids. She doesn't understand how it works. It's not like a car radio. My job got me a compilot to help me hear the walkie talkies. I explained I hear it loud but its hard to make out the words. She doesn't understand why if its loud in my ear why I can't hear her. I explained it helps bit its not a cure for my deafness. Don't get me wrong she's a wonderful person she just doesn't get it. I've learned to not get upset with people who don't understand. I only get upset with people who don't TRY to understand.

Back