In Between two Worlds……

.....a state of FRIENDSHIP.

One thing I do like about my hearing is that I do know who my real friends are and those who do try to understand me. I've learned who are my friends and who just acts like a friend. It can be a great filter. Here are some bright sides to look at for being deaf. 1. If you like to read you can with very little distraction. 2 want to take a nap one afternoon? I take my hearing aids out and no one's lawnmower or dog bothers me. 3. I can read lips really well and when I was younger I knew what women across the bar was saying about my buddies and me. 4. When I go to Dragon Con I get a great seat up front on the panels so I can hear. I just show them my pass. Always look at the pros.

I confided in a couple of my classmates that I was Hard-of-Hearing, due to my non responsiveness to their question. Since that conversation, one has taken it well and our communication has improved GREATLY; the other classmate has had a MUCH harder time adapting yet has made adjustments to work with me. Their genuine attempt to include AND accommodate me has blossomed to a state of FRIENDSHIP.

Rob-N

Hello and i know how it feels.. My hearing loss started at age 15, and this year my hearing has been getting so much worse quickly to where i can barely hear my footsteps/small noises and it bothers me alot, as someone who used to hear so well its so hard to adjust especially when theres a change in hearing every now and then.. Everyday i fear going deaf and i hate being told to embrace it, im sorry but i just cant. Maybe if i was born deaf yeah itd be sad but i would've never known what its like to hear. I know its going to keep getting worse but im so scared to live in silence one day, but i hope i dont, its just all too scary trying to communicate with people without getting tired of speaking because you hear yourself sound distant and whatnot(thats how i hear right now).

Hello "rockin'robin"......Thank you for your reply.

Your response has me wanting to know more about you and the phases you wrote about.

Have you posted your story?

Please reply.
Rob-N

It's not easy....... and I feel, in comparison to others, that I have only just begun .... Until I am able to find local support, I will look here for assistance.

Believe I have posted my story...bits and pieces of it. So I was born hearing but had so many ear infections...by the time I was 14 my hearing was 60/40...no HA...still in public school, but sat in front of the class, grades were good...Not to my knowledge, I was also lip reading a lot and became fluent...then came the surgery for the rare ear drum disease (both ears)...and the nerves were damaged and I was Deaf....I have no ear drums also....This was way back in the day when Doctors really didn't know what to do with my case....Today...feel sure they could have saved my hearing.

Thank you “rockin’robin” for sharing your story.

Believe I have posted my story...bits and pieces of it. So I was born hearing but had so many ear infections...by the time I was 14 my hearing was 60/40...no HA...still in public school, but sat in front of the class, grades were good...Not to my knowledge, I was also lip reading a lot and became fluent...then came the surgery for the rare ear drum disease (both ears)...and the nerves were damaged and I was Deaf....I have no ear drums also....This was way back in the day when Doctors really didn't know what to do with my case....Today...feel sure they could have saved my hearing.

Thank you “rockin’robin” for sharing your story.

You seemed to have maintained well in school and kept up with your classes without Hearing Aids…..Wow!

Your transition from the hearing world to the Deaf world was quite a journey. I read in your “about me” that you are “retired newspaper employee, advertising"; what position did you hold?

Rob-N

Hello. I am in between both worlds nd it is interesting. I am deaf but only have been a short amount of time. I was hoh for years but now I'm deaf. I read lips and sign and I am still oral. I wear a hearing aid but need stronger ones but they are very costly. I am the only deafie in my family and circle of friends and this has really shown me who my friends really are. It is hard for me to communicate with family cause they do not sign nor have they tried to learn. I have a few deaf friends on glide that help me learn to be more fluent in sign and some of them are in both worlds as well so we have similar stories and it's helpful to have someone to talk to. If you want to chat you can PM me if you like.

Sent from my SM-T520 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Communication 101…

Hello. I am in between both worlds nd it is interesting. I am deaf but only have been a short amount of time. I was hoh for years but now I'm deaf. I read lips and sign and I am still oral. I wear a hearing aid but need stronger ones but they are very costly. I am the only deafie in my family and circle of friends and this has really shown me who my friends really are. It is hard for me to communicate with family cause they do not sign nor have they tried to learn. I have a few deaf friends on glide that help me learn to be more fluent in sign and some of them are in both worlds as well so we have similar stories and it's helpful to have someone to talk to. If you want to chat you can PM me if you like.

Sent from my SM-T520 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Greetings “aweet_princess198925” thank you for sharing your story.

WoW…. You too, ARE between MANY worlds…

Who do you most identify with Hearing, Hard-of-Hearing or the Deaf community?

You are well versed in multiple ways of communication; ASL, lip-reading, and oral…….! This versatility allows you the ability to move from one group to another. I am oral and although not proficient in but have come to rely a lot on lip-reading to fill in the gaps; I am not fluent, by any definition, in ASL. I am searching my local area for support.

Rob-N

Welcome and thank you for sharing…..

Hello and i know how it feels.. My hearing loss started at age 15, and this year my hearing has been getting so much worse quickly to where i can barely hear my footsteps/small noises and it bothers me alot, as someone who used to hear so well its so hard to adjust especially when theres a change in hearing every now and then.. Everyday i fear going deaf and i hate being told to embrace it, im sorry but i just cant. Maybe if i was born deaf yeah itd be sad but i would've never known what its like to hear. I know its going to keep getting worse but im so scared to live in silence one day, but i hope i dont, its just all too scary trying to communicate with people without getting tired of speaking because you hear yourself sound distant and whatnot(thats how i hear right now).

Hello “fleea”, I read your introduction “Hello,new here”, Welcome and thank you for sharing.

I, too, am reaching out for support. The stories and information posted here is a place to begin to find understanding and people who can relate to what we are experiencing. May you find the answers you seek!

Rob-N

Back