Improving English skills

Chimajo

Reaction score
If Deaf people have hard time with English, they need a help for writing letters, correcting grammars or something, so they can send them to hearing people.
Are you interesting to add "English skills" on AD?
I have other idea.
For example:
A person need a help for correcting English grammar when he or she puts the post.
Maybe ASL
Store I go shop buy food"
English
"I go shopping at the store and buy food."

They want to write a nice letter. Put a post and ask for a help. Then, send a private message.

If Deaf people have hard time with English, they need a help for writing letters, correcting grammars or something, so they can send them to hearing people.
Are you interesting to add "English skills" on AD?
I have other idea.
For example:
A person need a help for correcting English grammar when he or she puts the post.
Maybe ASL
Store I go shop buy food"
English
"I go shopping at the store and buy food."

They want to write a nice letter. Put a post and ask for a help. Then, send a private message.

I know my grammar is poor but I think you need to work on your before try to help others.

Best way to improve English grammar is read, read, read, and read.

Best way to improve English grammar is read, read, read, and read.

Unfortunately, that is not correct. You may be able to read, but not understand how to correctly formulate a sentence. And, you are probably not reading correctly if you don't understand that a comma can be used as a stop(articulation) or a separator.

In fact, on a very basic level, if you don't understand the basic building blocks for English you can't hope to properly use grammar(which is not even a concise set of rules, BTW). For example, if you don't understand what a clause is you can't understand where to place a comma.

The reason deaf and HoH people have a hard time with it is because of inadequate communication during grades 1 - 3, critical years in the development of English.

I've known and seen many, many, many hearing people who cannot even write or spell a simple sentence.....they can "speak it" but damn if they can write it.....

And whenever I read all the threads here at AD...it's impressing from all the deafies that have acquired such good English skills, even if they cannot "speak".....

Unfortunately, that is not correct. You may be able to read, but not understand how to correctly formulate a sentence. And, you are probably not reading correctly if you don't understand that a comma can be used as a stop(articulation) or a separator.

In fact, on a very basic level, if you don't understand the basic building blocks for English you can't hope to properly use grammar(which is not even a concise set of rules, BTW). For example, if you don't understand what a clause is you can't understand where to place a comma.

The reason deaf and HoH people have a hard time with it is because of inadequate communication during grades 1 - 3, critical years in the development of English.

I have to agree with you . I read a lot but I got such a poor start at school. I miss a lot because I go my HA when I was almost 8 yo and in first grade for the second time. Reading a lot did help increase my vocabulary but my spelling is so poor I can't spell the words I want to use.

I have to agree with you . I read a lot but I got such a poor start at school. I miss a lot because I go my HA when I was almost 8 yo and in first grade for the second time. Reading a lot did help increase my vocabulary but my spelling is so poor I can't spell the words I want to use.

Your spelling is perfectly fine. Are you using a spellcheck?

Your spelling is perfectly fine. Are you using a spellcheck?

Yes , I have to use spellcheck because I am dyslexia. I could type 60 words a minutes in high school but all my words had letters in the wrong places. My spelling is so poor even spellcheck can't help me sometime. I think my computer has a headache by the time I am done!.

Reading is the key,but if someone has a strong visual skill, I would recommend to read something with pictures or visual animations.

I am a teacher and I know how it works. Read and read and read to get the foundation of English.

That's cool. We may help each other and correct grammatical errors. :D

Wish to add "English Skills" to AD.

That's cool. We may help each other and correct grammatical errors. :D

Wish to add "English Skills" to AD.

It's already been done. One of the teachers started a daily grammar lesson, and it was pretty tough.

She gave it up quickly.

This is a social website anyway. If you want help with your grammatical errors, take a course at your local community college.

Nobody wants to fear criticism or correction when they come here to visit with friends, or discuss things.

Back