Improving English skills

Since this forum is a social network, what do you expect from it? Correcting grammars? Most members don't like to be corrected of their grammars in this forum. Move on.

I'm quite aware that this forum facilitates social networking and I didn't say anything about personally correcting anyone's grammar.

I think, maybe, people can either ask for help, or some members can state in some way (on their page, in signatures, etc.) that they're willing to help if anyone wishes? I personally am willing to help people out if they'd like, but I'm not going to go into forums and start correcting people because that's not what this website is about.

Yeah, well I didn't say anything about hijacking threads and begin correcting people's grammar.

To clarify, if members wanted help then they could ask people who are willing to help; it's part of social networking to share experiences, communicate and comment etc.

To clarify, if members wanted help then they could ask people who are willing to help; it's part of social networking to share experiences, communicate and comment etc.
Oh well, nobody can stop them from asking for help with their grammar. So far no one asks for help. I guess they can learn from reading our posts to improve their grammar. That's one of the ways. A lot of readings (including CC) can help improving their grammar, right?

Oh well, nobody can stop them from asking for help with their grammar. So far no one asks for help. I guess they can learn from reading our posts to improve their grammar. That's one of the ways. A lot of readings (including CC) can help improving their grammar, right?

Whose posts? :lol:

Just because someone can read does not mean someone can write. It's two different things. Unless you understand the process of writing, you cannot write.

Writing is a poor imitation of speech.

Just because someone can read does not mean someone can write. It's two different things. Unless you understand the process of writing, you cannot write.

Writing is a poor imitation of speech.
Well, I learned English grammar mostly from reading when I was young. My English teacher was shocked that I already knew it while most of my classmates didn't. In other words, I was self-motivated.

Well, I learned English grammar mostly from reading when I was young. My English teacher was shocked that I already knew it while most of my classmates didn't. In other words, I was self-motivated.

When you say from reading, what did you read? Did you read a book on English grammar?

Let me give you an example, years ago, a comma used to represent just a pause in spoken language. Loosely, it still represents that today. However, the rules have been vastly supplemented since that time.

How would someone through reading understand that the rules have changed? How are you able to decide an Oxford comma is optional by reading?

When you say from reading, what did you read? Did you read a book on English grammar?
No, I read novels, newspapers, magazines, lyrics, textbooks like science, history or math at school, and even CC.

Let me give you an example, years ago, a comma used to represent just a pause in spoken language. Loosely, it still represents that today. However, the rules have been vastly supplemented since that time.

How would someone through reading understand that the rules have changed? How are you able to decide an Oxford comma is optional by reading?
8LDgbq2.gif
How often?

No, I read novels, newspapers, magazines, lyrics, textbooks like science, history or math at school, and even CC.

8LDgbq2.gif
How often?

Punctuation rules change with types of media such as written writing, printing presses, printers and now online computer publications.

Beyond that, it even depends one the type of publication for which you are writing, a newspaper column is different than a school paper.

As an example:
http://sesquiotic.wordpress.com/201...ars-its-good-english-then-its-a-comma-splice/

I don't see anything intuitive about writing as an imitation of spoken language.

Back