Improving English skills

It's already been done. One of the teachers started a daily grammar lesson, and it was pretty tough.

She gave it up quickly.

This is a social website anyway. If you want help with your grammatical errors, take a course at your local community college.

Nobody wants to fear criticism or correction when they come here to visit with friends, or discuss things.

Okay. Now, it makes sense.

Wirelessly posted

whatdidyousay! said:
If Deaf people have hard time with English, they need a help for writing letters, correcting grammars or something, so they can send them to hearing people.
Are you interesting to add "English skills" on AD?
I have other idea.
For example:
A person need a help for correcting English grammar when he or she puts the post.
Maybe ASL
Store I go shop buy food"
English
"I go shopping at the store and buy food."

They want to write a nice letter. Put a post and ask for a help. Then, send a private message.

I know my grammar is poor but I think you need to work on your before try to help others.

LOL that's funny

I don't think Chimayo's first language is English.

It's two different things, you can learn to read and not know how to write correctly.

That was very true with my dad , he was from Russia and he could read but he never learned how to write correctly. A lot of people do not know how to words like 'there' and 'their' correctly . I see that a lot on my city news paper web site and I know the people are not all deaf or hoh.

I advise to you visual and demonstration examples disciplined, explain word and dictionary to repeat to repeat, help advise to clear to understand, search find on better understand, practice learn you skills level reading everyday. I think so demonstration on example image on it is pretty expression on clear to understand grammar! that is why! easy understand images!

I have to agree with guy who was on vacation 234 times in his life. I talked with true CODA terp about this couple hours ago.

Even Shel90 is somewhat correct, read read read does help but not enough... Shhh I know your teacher. The problem is that English is based on auditory not visual.

This may surprise you,

Deafies.... (Hearies no cheating please) how many of you know the number of meaning for word "THE". The only hint I could give to you is that I was shocked to find out how many different meanings for "THE" in English Language. This is due to relationship with Audio, not visual.

Unfortunately, that is not correct. You may be able to read, but not understand how to correctly formulate a sentence. And, you are probably not reading correctly if you don't understand that a comma can be used as a stop(articulation) or a separator.

In fact, on a very basic level, if you don't understand the basic building blocks for English you can't hope to properly use grammar(which is not even a concise set of rules, BTW). For example, if you don't understand what a clause is you can't understand where to place a comma.

The reason deaf and HoH people have a hard time with it is because of inadequate communication during grades 1 - 3, critical years in the development of English.

Best way to improve English grammar is read, read, read, and read.
... and use it, use it, use it... :)

Some people are too lazy when it comes to typing emails, writing letter, sending text, or using instant messaging. If you're using a cell phone without a QWERTY keyboard, then that's understandable to use abbreviations... but if you have a full keyboard, USE IT! The less of an effort you make to type completely, the more dumb you become. ;)

I've seen co-workers write emails using AIM or SMS lingo because they spent all their time taking shortcuts. :(

Check out si5s they were talking about exact what I am trying to talk about.

It appears that soon, we will have our own "Written" ASL. Even though it is long way to go but it looks like on right track and eventually Hearing will see our own language and understand us better, and at same time once we understand our written language, it WILL make it easier for us to understand English later on.

It is like Deaf knows ASL as their native language and trying to understand foreign written language, especially English. Just same way if one learns to speak (Never learn to read and write) English as native language then try to learn how to read French written language, would that be possible? I don't think so. They need to learn how to read and write English language before they can understand foreign language better.

There is video though Sorenson VP, its called "SN Deaf Perspective" Very interesting video!

hmmmm i best not comment...but you should ask if it all down to being deaf some people have mix reasons for bad english

i find those phone difficult,got bad arthritis and dyslexia retyping is frustrating....sometimes it nice if people make a little effort understand.......i do line of dots is less time consuming on painful hands than typing upper casements..i confess to some lazyness and make assumptions people understand......i found dyslexia worse now tx langage around confusing

That's true that some people can read well but can't write well. If they want to write well, a motivation is needed to help them improve their grammar skill. One of the ways is to take a course on that subject. In a deaf world, I notice that many people don't care about their poor grammar skill and move on. That's their decision.

Teaching English in AD is not a bad idea but there are many good websites available for that and math, too.

Check out si5s they were talking about exact what I am trying to talk about.

It appears that soon, we will have our own "Written" ASL. Even though it is long way to go but it looks like on right track and eventually Hearing will see our own language and understand us better, and at same time once we understand our written language, it WILL make it easier for us to understand English later on.

It is like Deaf knows ASL as their native language and trying to understand foreign written language, especially English. Just same way if one learns to speak (Never learn to read and write) English as native language then try to learn how to read French written language, would that be possible? I don't think so. They need to learn how to read and write English language before they can understand foreign language better.

There is video though Sorenson VP, its called "SN Deaf Perspective" Very interesting video!

It was very upsetting for us deafies when hearies bastardized ASL into SEE. And now you want to bastardize English? hhhhmmmmmmm!

It would be in deafie's best interest to learn a proper English than coming up with ASL English. The reason many deafies have poor writing skill is not because of difficulty in learning 2 languages.... it's because of misguided education system and audism that screw everything up... which means their development was delayed.

That's true that some people can read well but can't write well. If they want to write well, a motivation is needed to help them improve their grammar skill. One of the ways is to take a course on that subject. In a deaf world, I notice that many people don't care about their poor grammar skill and move on. That's their decision.

Teaching English in AD is not a bad idea but there are many good websites available for that and math, too.

yup.

generally - if they can read fine but cannot write well.... it's because they're not writing enough. it's very hard to express your thought in writing and that takes practice... a lot of practice.

It was very upsetting for us deafies when hearies bastardized ASL into SEE. And now you want to bastardize English? hhhhmmmmmmm!

It would be in deafie's best interest to learn a proper English than coming up with ASL English. The reason many deafies have poor writing skill is not because of difficulty in learning 2 languages.... it's because of misguided education system and audism that screw everything up... which means their development was delayed.
How? Care to give an example?

When I was in school (NJSD), most of my classmates didn't pay attention to our English teacher. I could tell that they had no motivation to learn it at all. I believe that it's still going on.

How? Care to give an example?

When I was in school (NJSD), most of my classmates didn't pay attention to our English teacher. I could tell that they had no motivation to learn it at all. I believe that it's still going on.

that's not what I'm talking about.

it's something like... special education. bastardized ASL. forcing deaf children with HA/CI to speak/hear rather than focusing on basic education. families not interested in learning ASL. so on.

if a deaf child's needs was met but he/she isn't paying attention to education, then I hope his/her parents will notice it and discipline him/her.

Back