Implants changing life for Modesto girl born deaf

Instead of PMing everyone, I went ahead and made this new thread...

Here goes...

Faire_jour, what the heck is running speech? No, they can not pick up the spoken language. Of course they can hear the environment sounds, but not to listen to the words. The whole thing you have been talking about is trying to "fix" your daughter and other CI children to listen and understand speech. You are way out of your league. :roll: You, hearing people, just don't understand nothing about deafness. Gawd!! :roll:

That's not true. My son is able to have conversations on the telephone with people using his CI. He also can have conversations from another room with a wall between. With his CI,he is able to "hear" words with a 90% accuracy on one side and 80% on the other. If the room is noisy, then yes, it is more difficult for him to get everything, but that's where sign language and lip reading come in. But with the CI , he is able to hear spoken language and respond appropriately.

If the room is noisy, then yes, it is more difficult for him to get everything, but that's where sign language and lip reading come in. But with the CI , he is able to hear spoken language and respond appropriately.
Yes, indeedy. Just like some people with hearing aids. It does seem like the benifit of CI is very indivdualistic.....and yes, it helps some kids become functionally hoh....which is awesome.

Reply from Brinley's Mom

I'm Brinley's Mom, Wow. I was shocked to find out this link existed with over 100 comments on Brinley's original article. Funny how users are so quick to send off harsh comments when they have NO idea what they are talking about!!!!

In reply to a few ridiculous posts- CI's do work. My daughter is living proof. They are NOT like hearing aids. Brinley was born completely deaf meaning she could stand next to a jet engine (quote from her doctor) and not hear a thing. Today she is 4, attending a MAINSTREAMED preschool 3 days a week,attends DHH preschool 2 days a week, singing her favorite songs and saying her ABC's without skipping a beat. Cochlear Implants are a miracle. She will be mainstreamed come Kindergarden because we have been pro-active.

Another dumb post- Why should the school district pay for her schooling to a private school? It's not a private school (so please get your facts straight) In Northern California the only Oral Deaf Schools are in Sacramento, Fremont and Bay Area. 2 hour drive each way. I was willing to quit my job and make the sacrifice of driving her daily there and back because I wanted her to thrive with her cochlear implants. THERE ARE NO ORAL SCHOOLS WITHIN 130 MILES. Kids trying to learn language need to be in a structured program. Speech therapy is not enough. In the United States we have a thing called free education for all. Whether it be deaf, blind, autistic, etc. our school districts have a department called "Special Education". As taxpayers how sad some of you comment "Why should I have to pay for her to hear"? Because you have a heart- thats freaking why! You don't complain about paying for a new freeway, or taxes for the local grocery store being built in your area but you complain about your tax dollars being invested into our youth, specifically Special Education?

A sad but true fact is many of these negative comments and backlash to this article come from the deaf community. In most cases (not all) but from experience the deaf community is bitter. That's right, extremely bitter towards anyone with Cochlear Implants. Not sure why? My husband and I along with older daughter are hearing so why on earth would we not want to give our daughter the option of hearing? We've embraced the deaf culture and continuing to learn ASL. I want Brinley to know both. I'm not mad that deaf parents choose to raise their children deaf. I don't get online and post comments in regards to their choices so why do you care so much about mine? Shame on you. The Deaf Community should embrace these children that are trying to fit in with both the hearing and deaf world.

Good day.

The last post to this thread was in 2010. Even in just 3 short years, a lot has changed -- specifically, to the perspectives of CIs. Had this thread been started yesterday, I suspect many of the responses would be vastly different.

I guess that there start to create a new culture for small kids now. CI culture, for both ASL and Speaking. Its going to be interesting CI culture from now on.

Cochlear Implant "culture" for kids?

Is this something new?

What about adults? What would the value of such a group?

If it exists only a computer screen-no problem!

Cochlear Implant "culture" for kids?

Is this something new?

What about adults? What would the value of such a group?

If it exists only a computer screen-no problem!

do you have ci culture now?

Im sure that kids become older and create a culture whatever their tendencies ofdoing etc.

I'm Brinley's Mom, Wow. I was shocked to find out this link existed with over 100 comments on Brinley's original article. Funny how users are so quick to send off harsh comments when they have NO idea what they are talking about!!!!

In reply to a few ridiculous posts- CI's do work. My daughter is living proof. They are NOT like hearing aids. Brinley was born completely deaf meaning she could stand next to a jet engine (quote from her doctor) and not hear a thing. Today she is 4, attending a MAINSTREAMED preschool 3 days a week,attends DHH preschool 2 days a week, singing her favorite songs and saying her ABC's without skipping a beat. Cochlear Implants are a miracle. She will be mainstreamed come Kindergarden because we have been pro-active.

Another dumb post- Why should the school district pay for her schooling to a private school? It's not a private school (so please get your facts straight) In Northern California the only Oral Deaf Schools are in Sacramento, Fremont and Bay Area. 2 hour drive each way. I was willing to quit my job and make the sacrifice of driving her daily there and back because I wanted her to thrive with her cochlear implants. THERE ARE NO ORAL SCHOOLS WITHIN 130 MILES. Kids trying to learn language need to be in a structured program. Speech therapy is not enough. In the United States we have a thing called free education for all. Whether it be deaf, blind, autistic, etc. our school districts have a department called "Special Education". As taxpayers how sad some of you comment "Why should I have to pay for her to hear"? Because you have a heart- thats freaking why! You don't complain about paying for a new freeway, or taxes for the local grocery store being built in your area but you complain about your tax dollars being invested into our youth, specifically Special Education?

A sad but true fact is many of these negative comments and backlash to this article come from the deaf community. In most cases (not all) but from experience the deaf community is bitter. That's right, extremely bitter towards anyone with Cochlear Implants. Not sure why? My husband and I along with older daughter are hearing so why on earth would we not want to give our daughter the option of hearing? We've embraced the deaf culture and continuing to learn ASL. I want Brinley to know both. I'm not mad that deaf parents choose to raise their children deaf. I don't get online and post comments in regards to their choices so why do you care so much about mine? Shame on you. The Deaf Community should embrace these children that are trying to fit in with both the hearing and deaf world.

Good day.

Why in the world would you care how a forum of deaf people felt several years ago?

Your hearing relatives are thrilled for you. Are you so needy that everyone the world over needs to pay homage to you?

Unless the people have died off, unlikely, I doubt the views have completely changed in three years. Not that I've seen, people lives change not people.

Unless the people have died off, unlikely, I doubt the views have completely changed in three years. Not that I've seen, people lives change not people.

A lot has changed over the years. You don't see it because you're late-deafened. And, furthermore, a lot of the people who were arguing initially are now permanently banned - they were here to argue all the time regardless of the reason. Part of that "mass exodus" you like so much.

Good day.

Well said...
.. and welcome to this message board...
Wonderful to hear you are giving your daughter access to both worlds...
Don't judge the Deaf community buy some of the reactions in this thread. As you probably have experienced in real life, it's the closed-minded ones that shout the hardest... (in any society or group)
There's a lot to learn on this messageboard... and a lot to learn from you as well. Hope to see you again..

btw.. great blog.

I guess that there start to create a new culture for small kids now. CI culture, for both ASL and Speaking. Its going to be interesting CI culture from now on.

But Frisky, it's NOT a new culture. Those of us who ARE audilogically HOH have experianced what CI kids are, for DECADES. I agree, it's going to be very different, having a plethora of kids with good spoken language skills and who can ALSO Sign fluently.........

AND, I do want to say that I think maybe a good idea might be to have a preschool/early childhood track at Schools/programs for the Deaf, where in the morning kids would get oral training/spoken English, and then in the afternoon they could work on ASL skills.
It would be a TRACK......meaning that the traditional bi-bi track which is primarily ASL with supplemental speech services would be available too.
The thing is, it's not the QUANITY of the spoken language services...it's the QUALITY. I know of a little girl who arrived at kindergarten at Florida School for the Deaf and Blind saying one word. "Mom" Guess what? she was in a Signing Deaf program, but the therapists STILL got her orally skilled?!?!?!?!

But Frisky, it's NOT a new culture. Those of us who ARE audilogically HOH have experianced what CI kids are, for DECADES. I agree, it's going to be very different, having a plethora of kids with good spoken language skills and who can ALSO Sign fluently.........

It IS a new culture. Audiologically HOH children have been around for centuries. CI children have been around only for a couple of decades.

Whether the Cochlear Implant patients/Sunnybrook/Toronto is a "culture"-no idea. I have been part of it for 6 years. Hold a meeting once a year-latest info on the Implant section.

Never dull in reading comments here. Right Sociology is interesting-"Culture"

Back