Implants changing life for Modesto girl born deaf

The idea that I am "imagining" that my daughter understands me if insane. That somehow I made up or faked the testing results...I don't get it....

She probably got them right. but real world is always different.

Probably not a good idea. It will cause division when we have a common ground... I think???? supporting ASL is one.

I say, the day they come up with a cure... is when it is a good idea to discuss fixing.

I am not going to start a thread because I dont need more ADers like Reba coming in here and accuse me of insulting the parents. :roll:

My husband brought up a very very good question about this "fixing" thing and I am debating with myself whether to start a thread on it or not.

Should I dare? He really did have a good point.

Any thoughts?

did you make a new one? i am very curious what your husband brought up a question about it.

did you make a new one? i am very curious what your husband brought up a question about it.

No because I dont need ADers accusing me of something I didnt do like Reba did in that locked thread. I did not appreciate that at all.

I was just standing up for my beliefs about Deaf education and get attacked so if I create a thread like this, I cant imagine what they say about me as a person.

Not worth it. Sorry..it would have made for interesting debate but after yesterday, no thanks. Turned me off.

No because I dont need ADers accusing me of something I didnt do like Reba did in that locked thread. I did not appreciate that at all.

I was just standing up for my beliefs about Deaf education and get attacked so if I create a thread like this, I cant imagine what they say about me as a person.

Not worth it. Sorry..it would have made for interesting debate but after yesterday, no thanks. Turned me off.

That is understandable. I know you still stand your own beliefs after all what they were telling you about it. They are not comfortable how you put bold opinions here becasue no one talk like that to them before. Just don't lose that one question in the near future that i am interested in knowing about it. Or you can pm to me about it.

Yea I can PM u about it later on. :)

:wave:Shel, I would like to know this thinking<your hubby/"fixing"> if you PM others, could you add me?:ty:

I don't think it is a good idea to talk about parents behind their backs. Why wouldn't an open and honest discussion be better than hiding and gossiping behind closed doors.

:confused: If you were referring to shel. She isn't hiding anything but some of them attacks her based on her firm belief. Every time people get too serious about it between hearing people and deaf people's perspective on which is better for auditory or ASL in an educational setting. Then i don't mean to say that but hearing people seem not to feel comfortable and get the thread locked. i feel that it is unfair that deaf people simply speak out their minds yet get told to be silent.

:confused: If you were referring to shel. She isn't hiding anything but some of them attacks her based on her firm belief. Every time people get too serious about it between hearing people and deaf people's perspective on which is better for auditory or ASL in an educational setting. Then i don't mean to say that but hearing people seem not to feel comfortable and get the thread locked. i feel that it is unfair that deaf people simply speak out their minds yet get told to be silent.

sad isn't it. I feel threatened by them sometimes. I want them to support ASL, but if I speak my mind, i'm afraid they won't support it anymore

I had an IEP...didnt benefit me at all because the goals were set from a hearing point of view.

Many deaf children's IEP goals are still written from a hearing point of view rather than a deaf point of view.

Bingo. One reason it is important to have an advocate that knows these things in the IEP meeting.

Yep. The deaf seem to be willing to discuss it on and on until people start to understand. The hearing get uncompfortable because it becomes evident that the deaf have a valid point. So instead of accepting that,they run.

That goes for me, too. PM me. Does that make me 7 or 8? I don't know how many people you will PM all of us. We are curious and understand your anxiety about getting attacked by the hearing that want us to be silence and to say the hearing people are right. HA! And that is exactly what Jillio said about discussing on and on until hearing people start to understand. No body like us, Deafies and even HOH, don't like to be attacked. :hug:

How do you think she is faking understanding the difference between "gun" and "gum" with her audiologist? It is a controlled test. I'm not talking about what I see everyday (which I do see her understanding the things I'm saying without lipreading) I'm talking about the actual testing that her teachers and audiologists do.
There you have the answer.....it's a controlled test. Yes, she can understand speech pretty well, but could she understand the speech of someone off the street who is unfamiliar with how to speak to dhh people? The thing that I know you're not understanding, is that people who work with dhh kids and people and who interact with them regularly, tend to subconsciously modify their speech to make it easier for dhh folks to understand them. Unfortunatly, not everyone has a professional speaker voice. (and no, i am not talking about people with accents) That's why oral only is so limiting....it assumes that everyone has easy to understand speech, and that your speech and oral abilty is the same in every single sitution. (that's like saying that if you're a good driver when driving conditions are optimum, you'll be a good driver in every and any sitution) I say that as someone who has a relatively mild loss, can speechread and who even went through senoir year (making honor roll) UNAIDED!!!!!!
I remember when I would return to camp and college, it would always take a few days for my friends to adjust their speech patterns and to get used to my deaf accent again.

Back