Implants changing life for Modesto girl born deaf

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! Why is that hard to understand? We think that kids SHOULD NOT HAVE TO STRUGGLE needlessly! Yes, today's kids function more as HOH......they're not like the kid from the 1950's who heard something like 10% with a body worn aid...BUT kids who are functionally HOH of today, STILL struggle. They go through the exact same thing that kids who were HOH in years/decades past go through. Remember it's HARD of hearing. They're not hearing. They can never function as hearing, they can ONLY fake it.So why not give them the FULL toolbox of options? Just b/c they can "hear", it doesn't mean that they are hearing..Why should they miss out on things like ASL and Deaf School/classes etc?

Not true for everyone. Also, very rude.

Searching for a point here... Can you elaborate?

B/c Alley implied that the CI HOH experiance is different from HOH with hearing aids. The only difference is that deafer kids are responding better to a particular form of hearing technology. They still deal with all the same issues as someone who is HOH through HAs. We used to have a psychologist who specializes in dhh issues post here. She has consistantly and clearly stated that her CI clients deal with the exact same issues as a deaf kid who was HOH with hearing aids in the 80's and 90's. The experiance isn't new...it's just that the particualr technology is relatively new.

Not true for everyone. Also, very rude.

We're talking about KIDS here.....and that is true for almost everyone who is dhh AS A KID! We're not talking about late deafened folks who claim to function as "almost hearing" but still are attached at the hip to their FM device or neckloop or many other thousands of ALDs/ accomondations for HOH people.
And WTF is rude?!?!?!?

B/c Alley implied that the CI HOH experiance is different from HOH with hearing aids. The only difference is that deafer kids are responding better to a particular form of hearing technology. They still deal with all the same issues as someone who is HOH through HAs. We used to have a psychologist who specializes in dhh issues post here. She has consistantly and clearly stated that her CI clients deal with the exact same issues as a deaf kid who was HOH with hearing aids in the 80's and 90's. The experiance isn't new...it's just that the particualr technology is relatively new.

Good grief. This is not the 80s or 90s. I was not even talking about technology. You go back and re-read my post. I was talking about different levels of db loss , which make ALL the difference in what a HOH child hears. If they are hearing in the speech range vs. not. Geesh. :roll:

We're talking about KIDS here.....and that is true for almost everyone who is dhh AS A KID! We're not talking about late deafened folks who claim to function as "almost hearing" but still are attached at the hip to their FM device or neckloop or many other thousands of ALDs/ accomondations for HOH people.
And WTF is rude?!?!?!?

That is not really true either. People come to these threads for facts. When you make broad generalizations like this it just confuses the issue.

I would comment here, but instead I will respect what Naisho had to say in post #159

Good grief. This is not the 80s or 90s. I was not even talking about technology. You go back and re-read my post. I was talking about different levels of db loss , which make ALL the difference in what a HOH child hears. If they are hearing in the speech range vs. not. Geesh. :roll:

AlleyCat, it's still the same thing. A CI kid who is a good implantee user functions like an audilogically or even a functionally (as there are still quite a few kids with "deaf" losses who respond very well to hearing aids) HOH kid of the past.

AlleyCat, it's still the same thing. A CI kid who is a good implantee user functions like an audilogically or even a functionally (as there are still quite a few kids with "deaf" losses who respond very well to hearing aids) HOH kid of the past.

Forget the CI and HA for a second. That was not what I was writing about. Even forget the HOH kid who is just barely HOH and does not need any assistive devices like CIs or HAs.

I have been talking about db levels when we are talking about audiologically HOH. You must know, don't you, that most of the speech phonemes are in the 20 and 30 db ranges. If an assisted, or unassisted, person (child or not) can reach the 20 and 30 db ranges or better, they will hear BETTER than a HOH (child or not) who can only reach 40 db at best (and consequently out of most of the speech range.)

Last edited:
That is not really true either. People come to these threads for facts. When you make broad generalizations like this it just confuses the issue.

I think you just enjoy attacking whatever it is we have to say.
It is a FACT that hearing is the WEAKEST sense in a dhh kid. Yes, a dhh kid might do amazingly well under an auditory verbal/oral approach, BUT that still doesn't negate the FACT that they are expending a TON of energy using their weakest sense. Isn't it better to be BILINGAL and to be able to functon both WITH and WITHOUT hearing technology?

Forget the CI and HA for a second. That was not what I was writing about. Even forget the HOH kid who is just barely HOH and does not need any assistive devices like CIs or HAs.

I have been talking about db levels when we are talking about audiologically HOH. You must know, don't you, that most of the speech phonemes are in the 20 and 30 db ranges. If an assisted, or unassisted, person (child or not) can reach the 20 and 30 db ranges or better, they will hear BETTER than a HOH (child or not) who can only reach 40 db at best (and consequently out of most of the speech range.)

Agreed.....and I stand by what I said. Many audilogically HOH kids can reach the 20/30 db ranges with their aids. It's not the difference between say .....completely dhh and getting some word/speech perception with aids.
It's still an HOH experiance.

I think you just enjoy attacking whatever it is we have to say.
It is a FACT that hearing is the WEAKEST sense in a dhh kid. Yes, a dhh kid might do amazingly well under an auditory verbal/oral approach, BUT that still doesn't negate the FACT that they are expending a TON of energy using their weakest sense. Isn't it better to be BILINGAL and to be able to functon both WITH and WITHOUT hearing technology?

Your argument fails because one can become *bilingual without attending a Deaf Schhol.

Your argument fails because one can become *bilingual without attending a Deaf Schhol.

Was this a mispost? I don't see how that relates to anything previously said. But no. Again, the resources nessary aren't generally available through a general hearing special ed program. At best, usually what is available is a teacher who may know SOME signs.It's a question of resources.....heck hearing schools aren't generally great about low incidence teaching.
Some hearing schools that have a strong dhh program might be able to yes....but a hearing school on its own? Doubtful.

Was this a mispost? I don't see how that relates to anything previously said. But no. Again, the resources nessary aren't generally available through a general hearing special ed program. At best, usually what is available is a teacher who may know SOME signs.It's a question of resources.....heck hearing schools aren't generally great about low incidence teaching.
Some hearing schools that have a strong dhh program might be able to yes....but a hearing school on its own? Doubtful.

You mentioned the schools in this thread as well....

Everyone is fully aware of your opinion. Again, if what you are saying is true, parents will see that in their research.

Remember it's HARD of hearing. They're not hearing. They can never function as hearing, they can ONLY fake it.So why not give them the FULL toolbox of options? Just b/c they can "hear", it doesn't mean that they are hearing..Why should they miss out on things like ASL and Deaf School/classes etc?

You mentioned the schools in this thread as well....

Everyone is fully aware of your opinion. Again, if what you are saying is true, parents will see that in their research.

You know, they probably won't. They will hear what supports their dream for their child.

It's human nature to filter that way.

You are absolutely correct, and I honestly have no idea why she insists on treating everyone like they have the same level of loss and the exact same problems. She's not the only one either, I have seen some posts by some people denying that ha's even work, okay I get it that it didn't work for those people, but not everybody has the same audiogram.

I'm not sure how much my audiological memory (I wonder if that's a real phrase or if I made it up) my memory of sound, like really real sound not through a hearing aid sound lo, helps/ed me decipher speech..BUT even at severe loss I did awesome with hearing aids. I went to college with them, no notetakers, CART, whatever the heck that is, interpreters...nothing. I missed very very little. I answered questions ALL the time, in fact my massage instructor would ask a question, I'd raise my hand and he'd say "Can anyone NOT Amber answer the question" because I would answer every single one. I was HOH but honestly, it wasn't really that hard. If it was super noisy, yes, but those are situation can be avoided. But now that I'm profound...forget about it, every thing and every situation is hard, very hard. Every single one of those decibels makes a big difference on how well you're going to hear.

Your audiogram is going to have a strong affect on just how hard of hearing you are.

You are absolutely correct, and I honestly have no idea why she insists on treating everyone like they have the same level of loss and the exact same problems. She's not the only one either, I have seen some posts by some people denying that ha's even work, okay I get it that it didn't work for those people, but not everybody has the same audiogram.

I'm not sure how much my audiological memory (I wonder if that's a real phrase or if I made it up) my memory of sound, like really real sound not through a hearing aid sound lo, helps/ed me decipher speech..BUT even at severe loss I did awesome with hearing aids. I went to college with them, no notetakers, CART, whatever the heck that is, interpreters...nothing. I missed very very little. I answered questions ALL the time, in fact my massage instructor would ask a question, I'd raise my hand and he'd say "Can anyone NOT Amber answer the question" because I would answer every single one. I was HOH but honestly, it wasn't really that hard. If it was super noisy, yes, but those are situation can be avoided. But now that I'm profound...forget about it, every thing and every situation is hard, very hard. Every single one of those decibels makes a big difference on how well you're going to hear.

Your audiogram is going to have a strong affect on just how hard of hearing you are.

WTF?
What I am saying is that if a kid hears very well with either CI or HAs, they are both functionally HOH.....and some audilogically deaf kids can reach extremely good hearing levels with hearing aids. Heck audilogically HOH kids can too........it's not exclusive to CI users.

WTF?
What I am saying is that if a kid hears very well with either CI or HAs, they are both functionally HOH.....and some audilogically deaf kids can reach extremely good hearing levels with hearing aids. Heck audilogically HOH kids can too........it's not exclusive to CI users.

Your mantra......they all deal with the same problems. You've repeated it all over the forum, you say it every day.

You are absolutely correct, and I honestly have no idea why she insists on treating everyone like they have the same level of loss and the exact same problems.

I don't understand it either. Everyone hears at different levels. No two people hear the same, even not of the same HOH or Mild or Moderate or Severe or Profound groups. Why all the HOHs got lumped together and are all considered the same HOH is not right. I've seen for myself in my large d/Deaf community that there's really a lot of variance among everyone.

Your mantra......they all deal with the same problems. You've repeated it all over the forum, you say it every day.

It has been that way for years, sadly. I don't understand the desire some have to label others and bring them down.

Back