Implants changing life for Modesto girl born deaf

How would you know what real hearing sounds like? It is literally artifical/fake hearing.
And yes, it is what it is. I don't know what hearing person hearing sounds like. Neither do a lot of early/born dhh folks. And you know what? Again response to artifical hearing varies......including from late deafened people. Some love it, others hate it.

I do, and what I hear from hearing aids doesn't sound "fake". mmmkay

deafdyke
What difference does it make which it is IF it results in excellent communication with those that just use their voice?

I can't get over how all you seem to be able to talk about any more is if a HA or CI results in sound that is the same as what a hearing person gets (and they don't all get the same thing either). For most of us communication is more in important than if there is a difference.

Foxrac, I am saying that they are FUNCTIONALLY HOH with CI. It's like the difference between an ITE aid and a BTE aid for someone who is audilogically HOH. I do understand that a lot of people can hear quite well with CI....but at the same time I'm also saying they have quite a bit of HOH style limitations......see now? That would be just like saying that BTE aids work well for access to sound/speech, but they also have quite a bit of HOH style limitations. I'm not saying they don't work.

I disagree with you about CI make function as HoH. You never tried CI before so you don't know until you try it.

I was born HoH and became profoundly deaf eventually. I can tell a difference between HoH and profoundly deaf. The hearing aids didn't work anymore since 1995 but used to hear very well for few years after tried in 1989. I went from HoH then severe to profound.

CI is much louder and powerful than HoH with hearing aids - it gave an experience that similar to hearing people, that's very far from HoH. I had seen some HoH complained about hearing aids weren't clear or not work properly, but not in case with CI. In some cases, I know HoH receive CI after had difficult with hearing aids.

Previously, CI was only designed for severe and profound deaf so it widened to HoH now.

I do, and what I hear from hearing aids doesn't sound "fake". mmmkay

That's interesting. I was born hearing and became HOH at age 11. The older analog HAs never sounded fake, but the newer digital aids I now have do. Also certain music sounds do not come through on the digital aid while they did on the older analog aids. I suppose not all digital aids are as bad as mine, but I have had the feeling that the sound is "fake". When I take them off and put some headphones on, and use VLC Media player, which lets me turn the sound up higher than normal, I hear a more "realistic" sound. I hear notes that the digital aid cuts out. I'm not sure why this is so, but my experience here helps me to kind of understand what DD is saying.

2nb916d.jpg

I disagree with you about CI make function as HoH. You never tried CI before so you don't know until you try it.

I was born HoH and became profoundly deaf eventually. I can tell a difference between HoH and profoundly deaf. The hearing aids didn't work anymore since 1995 but used to hear very well for few years after tried in 1989. I went from HoH then severe to profound.

CI is much louder and powerful than HoH with hearing aids - it gave an experience that similar to hearing people, that's very far from HoH. I had seen some HoH complained about hearing aids weren't clear or not work properly, but not in case with CI. In some cases, I know HoH receive CI after had difficult with hearing aids.

Previously, CI was only designed for severe and profound deaf so it widened to HoH now.

Foxrac, yes they're more powerful then hearing aids. I never said otherwise.

That's interesting. I was born hearing and became HOH at age 11. The older analog HAs never sounded fake, but the newer digital aids I now have do. Also certain music sounds do not come through on the digital aid while they did on the older analog aids. I suppose not all digital aids are as bad as mine, but I have had the feeling that the sound is "fake". When I take them off and put some headphones on, and use VLC Media player, which lets me turn the sound up higher than normal, I hear a more "realistic" sound. I hear notes that the digital aid cuts out. I'm not sure why this is so, but my experience here helps me to kind of understand what DD is saying.

thank you .......And I mean there's the fact that a lot of people(both early and late deafened) don't like hearing aids.......If aids/implants work so well simlair to hearing people then how come there's such a huge rate of not using them?

and if implants are simlair to hearing people, then how come they're looking into research to try to make CIs sound like what hearing people hear? (CI MEMS)
I'm not saying that CI users are precisely HOH.....but they do experaince quite a lot of the same stuff that audilogically HOH people do....

thank you .......And I mean there's the fact that a lot of people(both early and late deafened) don't like hearing aids.......If aids/implants work so well simlair to hearing people then how come there's such a huge rate of not using them?

Personal preference obviously.

and if implants are simlair to hearing people, then how come they're looking into research to try to make CIs sound like what hearing people hear? (CI MEMS)
I'm not saying that CI users are precisely HOH.....but they do experaince quite a lot of the same stuff that audilogically HOH people do....

How did you know since you never had CI?

CI is too far from HoH, I had experience with those in my life.

Back