I'm still here

JadeSkye

Reaction score
Just thought I better pop in and say 'hi- I'm still hanging around'! :) I've been a bit busy lately with work and normal everyday stuff. I didn't want everyone to think I was just one of those hearing people who pop on for a little bit and then disappear :(. I have popped in a few times to check out some posts but really haven't had much to say.

One of the big things that has taken up some of my time is that I started a blog. I have been thinking about doing it for a while and finally decided to take the plunge and put my life out there for the world to see :). It isn't very developed at the moment, I have just sort of been going and posting pieces of the past few months since we suspected our daughter's hearing loss. A lot of what I posted has just been a bit of "process" stuff (what it's like, doctor visits, etc.)- I thought that could be helpful for other parents who are going through similar situations because it can be quite overwhelming. The other night I posted a page about some of my thoughts and feelings and plan on posting some more like that this week. If anyone is interested, please stop on over and check it out (I'm still kind of working on my groove with my writing style, too). You can find me at: All We Need is (AS)L-o-v-e | One family's journey through hearing loss and the discovery of a whole new language of love! if you would like to check it out. And if you do, please let me know what you think of it (either on the blog or on here- whichever you prefer).

Hope everyone else has been doing well... I will still be popping in, so don't think I've disappeared :). I still have a lot to learn!

I love the title in heading (AS) Love. That is a very creative one!! The best luck on your blog. Thank for wanting to teach your daughter and family ASL. Enjoy!!!

Thanks, Derek! :) It took a little bit of thinking- I wanted to name it "All We Need is Love" but that was taken :)- it must have just been meant for me to put the "ASL" part in there :). I hope people enjoy it and that other families can feel like they are not so alone. Sometimes it is hard trying to work through all the changes and differences- worry about not making the right decisions for her. But I know we will get through it- because we do love each other and that is the biggest part of anything :).

Thanks, Derek! :) It took a little bit of thinking- I wanted to name it "All We Need is Love" but that was taken :)- it must have just been meant for me to put the "ASL" part in there :). I hope people enjoy it and that other families can feel like they are not so alone. Sometimes it is hard trying to work through all the changes and differences- worry about not making the right decisions for her. But I know we will get through it- because we do love each other and that is the biggest part of anything :).

You're already making all the right decisions for her! ASL,(even thou she's only HOH) and Deaf school for at least early childhood, plus all the traditional HOH interventions. She'll do AWESOME. You're starting out on the right path by giving her a full toolbox, right off the bat and seeing what will work.... But I know you're prolly being told "oh she doesn't need Sign....she just needs to attend hearing school" blah blah blah, and that's where the freaking out about right decisions comes into play.

And you know what? HOH kids tend to REALLY thrive in deaf ed settings. Who knows? Maybe going full toolbox might open the gate for her to become the valectorian at NTID or Gally or even a hearing college.

Back