I'm starting to hate deaf people....I am hard of hearing

Thanks for the sarcasm! A good example of what I was talking about. Anyways that is alright. Post what you want. I don't think 100% are that way. Just respect my feelings. I was just trying to be myself and then I got so bashed from wearing hearing aids..to the way I grew up...to what I labeled myself as. Oh well ...just have your opinion...that is alright. :)

Which group would you prefer I move to? I live in a SMALL CITY..LOL:giggle:

Glad you are getting to know me. I am usually more sarcastic than that....:lol:

I went to NTID and met hundreds of deaf folks. Most are decent, some are asshats, and all are weird to some extent....which is why I fit in so well.

I did go to a deaf "happy hour" nearby downtown once.... since one deaf lady invited us to go and meet her there.

Just about everyone became drunk, they blasted music so loud, it sounded like crap, three guys hit on me with my wife present and laughing her ass off watching me react, we felt out of place, and many of the older ones interrogated us on how deaf we are, why I should be ashamed for having CI's, and why we would work if we can live comfortably on SSI, etc, etc. Needless to say, we never went there again.

Move to the Washington DC area, there are tons of deaf 'professionals' working down there, could be the crowd you would fit in. Just be prepared to pay the high cost of living. Apartments run in the $1500/month range. Worth it if you want to hang out with those that would be compatible with your communication level/skills.

Guess she didn't read your siggy green ;)

I don't have an opinion here.....I'm HOH, although lately I've been thinking that is very misleading, without aids I'm deaf, with aids I'm HOH, and getting worse and worse. But I'm late deafened, started in my 20's, don't know ASL, and have never been involved in the deaf Community.

But, since coming here I am leery of involving myself in it. Most people here are pretty cool, but I do see attitudes that make me feel like I woudln't be welcomed. I'm not a "hearie" anymore really, but I grew up, and I think like one. I don't have any of the resentments and biases against hearies that you see trickle through here every now and then. I'll never know until I try, but lets' just say I am now prepared to be very cautious when I eventually do try to get involved and I probably wouldn't have been if I had never come to this forum.

Guess she didn't read your siggy green ;)

I don't have an opinion here.....I'm HOH, although lately I've been thinking that is very misleading, without aids I'm deaf, with aids I'm HOH, and getting worse and worse. But I'm late deafened, started in my 20's, don't know ASL, and have never been involved in the deaf Community.

It's funny the way you said this in bold and I happen to mentioned the same way to one deaf guy who is really big D thing.
When I was in deaf bowling league and one guy asked me if I'm deaf, and I kinda shrugged myself and saying..."Yeeeahhh" and he look at me with signing "ahh". Few second later I got paged (remember the old day with pager?) and it was from work. So, I walk up to the pay phone and get ready to call at work, and all of sudden that same guy who asked me earlier slapped at the back of my head, I mean it was a strong jolt and said myself WTF!! and I turn around and he signed with a revolt reaction "YOU ARE NOT DEAF!!". Holy mackerel!!! Then I signed back to him.."without my HA I'm deaf!!! My HA just assist to hear just like you wearing glasses!!! If you take it off..you blind!!! SO YOU ARE NOT BLIND!!! He just walk away... Then I lost my frigg'in 25 cents...jeesh...

Sneaker, only an idiot would do something like this, giving the rest of us a bad name.....

Sneaker, only an idiot would do something like this, giving the rest of us a bad name.....

Oh most definitely. Not someone I would want to associate myself with.

Oh most definitely. Not someone I would want to associate myself with.

Absolutely. These are the "bad apples" I was referring to in my first post in this thread. The Deaf community and Deaf people as a whole aren't like this. Even I don't socialize with people like this -- d/Deaf or not.

It's funny the way you said this in bold and I happen to mentioned the same way to one deaf guy who is really big D thing.
When I was in deaf bowling league and one guy asked me if I'm deaf, and I kinda shrugged myself and saying..."Yeeeahhh" and he look at me with signing "ahh". Few second later I got paged (remember the old day with pager?) and it was from work. So, I walk up to the pay phone and get ready to call at work, and all of sudden that same guy who asked me earlier slapped at the back of my head, I mean it was a strong jolt and said myself WTF!! and I turn around and he signed with a revolt reaction "YOU ARE NOT DEAF!!". Holy mackerel!!! Then I signed back to him.."without my HA I'm deaf!!! My HA just assist to hear just like you wearing glasses!!! If you take it off..you blind!!! SO YOU ARE NOT BLIND!!! He just walk away... Then I lost my frigg'in 25 cents...jeesh...
sounds like a very immature brat

Yes, jeez is correct. I wish the Deaf militants would understand that we don't hear like a hearing person with hearing devices. Thinking that a HA/CI turns a dhh person into a hearing person, is like thinking that using a certain type of "tool" (if you get my drift) during "intimacy" makes a woman a man.

Damn, that is shocking......25 cents was a lot of money.....

:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

That is so hilarious!!!!! See that is a good example of how everyone think deaf are one way. LOL

Yes, jeez is correct. I wish the Deaf militants would understand that we don't hear like a hearing person with hearing devices. Thinking that a HA/CI turns a dhh person into a hearing person, is like thinking that using a certain type of "tool" (if you get my drift) during "intimacy" makes a woman a man.

WOW that was deep you went into intimacy. LOL where did that come from :giggle:

Where are those stand your ground laws when you need them!

Thinking that a HA/CI turns a dhh person into a hearing person, is like thinking that using a certain type of "tool" (if you get my drift) during "intimacy" makes a woman a man.

Good analogy. Never thought of it that way. I thought big fingers made her a man?

:lol:

Wow seriously dropping a lot of knowledge out there guys. I think throughout this thread theres been a lot of blanket terminology. example: "i've been socializing with deaf people, and THEY(kinda blanketing them as ALL) are treating me like crap. People are rude or mean on an individual level not a group cultural level. Yes people are going to test you, misunderstand you, be harsh with you. It happens, people have to mentally strong enough to look beyond it. Can people on this forum be harsh no nonsense, yes! I know as I've made an asshat out of myself on this forum earlier. Come to find out I came in here having absolutely proper alldeaf forum etiquette and knowing how it works here, this is a community don't post to deaf forum about how deaf people wont accept you, it won't win you any sympathy or friends. Instead ask questions, look around different post, try an learn something. People who are familiar with my posts can attest to this. I thought this was free for all post whatever as long as your not disrespecting the deaf/Deafpeople on this forum, its almost like the people who have been here the longest are the elders in the room, and you don't just come in march right up to them and start giving your own ideas and opinions it makes us newer people look foolish and rude

"actually meant," Come to find out I came in here having absolutely NO proper alldeaf forum etiquette and knowing how it works here,

Sorry guys

"actually meant," Come to find out I came in here having absolutely NO proper alldeaf forum etiquette and knowing how it works here,

Sorry guys

I don't think you have to apologize for anything. No one comes here with all the answers, but plenty of people probably imagine they do. You don't have to conform to anyone's standards to post here, just be yourself and speak up for yourself too. No one has the right to treat anyone like a door mat because they can still hear...

Laura

Wow seriously dropping a lot of knowledge out there guys. I think throughout this thread theres been a lot of blanket terminology. example: "i've been socializing with deaf people, and THEY(kinda blanketing them as ALL) are treating me like crap. People are rude or mean on an individual level not a group cultural level. Yes people are going to test you, misunderstand you, be harsh with you. It happens, people have to mentally strong enough to look beyond it. Can people on this forum be harsh no nonsense, yes! I know as I've made an asshat out of myself on this forum earlier. Come to find out I came in here having absolutely proper alldeaf forum etiquette and knowing how it works here, this is a community don't post to deaf forum about how deaf people wont accept you, it won't win you any sympathy or friends. Instead ask questions, look around different post, try an learn something. People who are familiar with my posts can attest to this. I thought this was free for all post whatever as long as your not disrespecting the deaf/Deafpeople on this forum, its almost like the people who have been here the longest are the elders in the room, and you don't just come in march right up to them and start giving your own ideas and opinions it makes us newer people look foolish and rude

We are just being blunt and that is what we are because we know what it is like to be deaf. And why the hearing people perceived that we don't know anything about being hearing like them. They looked down on us and put us down. They expect us to hear like them. They think that hearing aids and CIs would make the deaf be able to hear with it but it is not so. Hearing aids and CIs are just tools. We only hear environment sounds, not be able to pick up the words. That is why we need ASL to communicate with each other. HOH people can be mean too as they think they are superior over us. There are times we are having battles between us when it come to having the CI devices or wanting to have stem cells. HOH people, maybe not all of them just some, want to hear so badly. The reason for that is they don't accept their deafness. You have to accept your deafness for rest of your life. That is something you have to go on your journey to just be hard of hearing or deaf. We will try to be there for you if you want to accept us. That is all I have to say. :)

Back